Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #41
Oklahoma Proud

I bought my d-max with exhaust and intake, I started having problems with smoke intermitenly and it ended up being the intake was restricting air flow during humid hot days. Bought a stock set up and haven't had a problem in 2 years. My buddys @ work say to keep it all stock-even filters. The computers are so sensitive that aftermarket can cause problems.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
would'nt commuting to/from work qualify as closed loop racing??? just curious
It sure would in my neck of the woods!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #43
Commercial Member

If you guys are happy with the stock MPG and performance of your diesels, then good for you!

I came out of a 2006 Ram with the 5.9 Cummins that averaged 14 mpg towing and 22 mpg empty, all with out the emissions crap. Yes, it had a cat converter and muffler. Now, 2011, same truck with the emission scrap under it, and a bigger motor gets 15 empty and 9 towing. As a daily driver, it also went into regen at least twice a week.

This week, it got a tuner, and emission deletes. So far, I have gained 4 mpg just running around locally, and of course, no regen cycles. Still have muffler and no "coal rolling". Yes, that is for kids and rednecks.

I will tell you that this is a whole new truck, and when taking off the dpf filter and cat, the soot literally spilled out of them. How can that be good for an engine?

I don't tune for racing or "rolling coal", I tune for longevity of the truck and MPG...
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
If you guys are happy with the stock MPG and performance of your diesels, then good for you!

I came out of a 2006 Ram with the 5.9 Cummins that averaged 14 mpg towing and 22 mpg empty, all with out the emissions crap. Yes, it had a cat converter and muffler. Now, 2011, same truck with the emission scrap under it, and a bigger motor gets 15 empty and 9 towing. As a daily driver, it also went into regen at least twice a week.

This week, it got a tuner, and emission deletes. So far, I have gained 4 mpg just running around locally, and of course, no regen cycles. Still have muffler and no "coal rolling". Yes, that is for kids and rednecks.

I will tell you that this is a whole new truck, and when taking off the dpf filter and cat, the soot literally spilled out of them. How can that be good for an engine?

I don't tune for racing or "rolling coal", I tune for longevity of the truck and MPG...
Exactly, I have mine tuned for a clean burning diesel. Grantit on maxxed out tuning I do have some smoke at WOT, but smoke isnt necessary unless you have a big single turbo that wont spool. Tuning has made a night and day difference in mine and I will never regret it. Since I bought a pre emissions duramax I dont have to worry about a Cat, egr, DPF, or urea. And im thankful for that. Egrs are horrible for a motor as well as DPFs. Most people dont realize how harsh regens are on a dpf equipped vehicle. Although H&S had it coming to them because of all there videos on youtube. Anytime you alter emissions devices on a vehicle your breaking the law. Tuning can be very beneficial to a vehicle, when tuned properly.

2003 ccsb 2500 Chevrolet/Duramax- some goodies- Thanks to Copperhead Diesel.

2002 Kit Millenium 358

RedHotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #45

I have a problem with newer regulations on vehicles that the manufacturers are forced to put on without any help from the 'agency' that passed the regulations. They are given new regulations and told to follow them. They add cost to our vehicles and are not getting the fuel mileage that the pre-reg vehicles are getting. Of course it is a learning process and mileage is getting better and the air is getting cleaner (so some say). However, the process of making all this emissions equipment nearly negates any benefit the vehicles give the environment. Ever noticed that the EPA nearly always follows the CARB? I still have a problem with an 'agency' making laws/regulations without the process of the legislature. It is the only one that has that power. I'm not saying we couldn't do a better job at maintaining or even improving our environment, I'm just saying I don't think this agency is the one that should do it. It should do like every other department and enforce the laws and policy, not make it!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #46

Quote:
...I have a problem with newer regulations on vehicles that the manufacturers are forced to put on without any help from the 'agency' that passed the regulations...Ever noticed that the EPA nearly always follows the CARB? I still have a problem with an 'agency' making laws/regulations without the process of the legislature. It is the only one that has that power...I don't think this agency is the one that should do it. It should do like every other department and enforce the laws and policy, not make it!
It shouldn't be a big surprise it follows CARB. The Executive Branch gets to appoint with the consent of the Senate.

Congress allowing agencies to make legislation through the regulatory process is hardly new. I concur it is a bit lazy to allow agencies to do that. This is especially true since regulations are easier to change than laws (a change in the agency can change the regulations, more or less. Changing laws requires both Houses and the Executive).

However, every two years you get an opportunity to change that. If you are serious about changing things now is the time to get started.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #47

Edge Products takes a big hit from the EPA

Looks like they are not done yet
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #48

Reading more...

Quote:
"For the first Compliance Report only, Edge shall report the name and contact information, including address,. of any individual or entity that purchased or otherwise acquired from Edge ten or more Electronic Tuning Devices."
Also for the end user...

Quote:
"the consent decree requires Edge to offer to buy back the devices from anyone who possesses one. In order to sell the device back to Edge, the truck from which the device came must be returned to its original factory programming."
It won't be long before California type testing is the norm. If you've done the delete's you better hope you saved everything.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #49
Engineer of Crazy Train

Its not even worth it. Old trucks are going to be worth more until something is done. I don't mind DPF and DEF. EGR is what bothers me. Have you seen the intake from an EGR motor? Or get an oil analysis? Why bother running an air filter with an EGR motor.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Its not even worth it. Old trucks are going to be worth more until something is done. I don't mind DPF and DEF. EGR is what bothers me. Have you seen the intake from an EGR motor? Or get an oil analysis? Why bother running an air filter with an EGR motor.
no kidding. Those old Cummins engines are already way overpriced, now getting worse.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote