Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #51
Wanna Be Camper

Seems to me diesels are just going through what gassers went through in the early to mid 70's when emission laws ran rampant and the manufacturers did not have the technology available to get power, mileage and meet the standards. And look at gas engines today. It may take some time but they will figure it out at some point.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Seems to me diesels are just going through what gassers went through in the early to mid 70's when emission laws ran rampant and the manufacturers did not have the technology available to get power, mileage and meet the standards. And look at gas engines today. It may take some time but they will figure it out at some point.
judging by the current hp/torque numbers they have. But the MPG numbers have not, and will not come back.

I used to own a '69 Mustang. 302 v8, coupe. Thrill to drive. way more power than the chassis could take, and surprisingly good MPG. Averaged at least 25 highway, even with a 3 speed auto. A co-worker has '12 Mustang GT V8. gets around 23 mpg highway. 43 years later, no improvement in MPG, but man do they have a ton of power.

Same thing for diesels, the non-EGR diesels get crazy MPG, but none of the current trucks can touch them.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #53
phat phrog stunt crew

i think we can place the blame fairly on those folks who like to "roll coal" with their exhaust. all they have done imho is ruin it for everybody.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #54
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i think we can place the blame fairly on those folks who like to "roll coal" with their exhaust. all they have done imho is ruin it for everybody.
no doubt.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #55
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
Exactly what has prompted the EPA to hone in on the small market (in comparison) of diesel truck owners.
Edge products was/is the most used off-road race tuner purchased so it makes sense why the gov eyeballed those guys also.

There are so many truckers spewing black smoke hauling goods for us but as soon as the common folk driving the Prius sees a guy doing the same in a street truck, it's all out war...as said by others, it's been a long time coming.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Another factor in lower mpg, is there has been a significant increase in HP. The HP figures for these trucks have nearly doubled since they were first introduced. Horsepower comes with a cost also. If you can get 100% more HP, with 20% decrease in mpg, and much cleaner air, why not? They are moving in the right direction, and I for one welcome the change.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #57

I was going to wait for my warranty to run out and do deletes and tuner. Not for more power, got plenty of that, but for more efficiency. Longer intervals between oil changes and maybe 1-2 mpgs running empty. I guess that idea just went up in smoke. No pun intended.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #58
phat phrog stunt crew

dont forget too that to pull the weights we the consumers are demanding, the big 3 have to put in heavier duty components. heavier duty = weight= lower fuel mileage. i too would like to see better fuel economy, at least from the hiway point of it. but when you are able to pull 5 tons or better behind you and not have a worry or concern about it i think that more than makes up for it.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
Camper Less Camping

IMO...you don't buy a 8K lb truck to race or get 20mpg plus on the highway!

I do like the tuners for the additional 1-3mpgs and additional HP/torque tow tunes for that little extra nudge, not to mention the awesome turbo brake option when you get the higher priced clean tunes
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
no kidding. Those old Cummins engines are already way overpriced, now getting worse.
Yup. I flew to Las Vegas three years ago and picked up my '98 Dually 12 valve with mostly mechanical components and with very little electronics. I can do the work myself.
Since buying the truck, I could easily double my money on it.