Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Eqaul-i-zer setup problems...

Well, I just started the setup of my new 1000lb Eqaul-i-zer WD hitch and ran into a couple of glitches. I'm hoping you guys with experience can help me out with these.

First, I can't seem to get the bars to move at all. I've put in the spring bars with the pins and the hitch in the truck, but I just about threw out my back trying to get these things to budge so I could work on them and maybe add some grease. I know they are a friction point, but are they supposed to be that hard to move? What technique do you use to get them to budge so you can hook them up to your trailer?

They seem to have a new L-bar clip mechanism. Instead of a pin that you take on and off there is a springy clip that's permanently attached to the little silver "L" piece that is supposed to clip over the bottom of the main bracket to keep it in place. It looks like a really nice system. However, I also bought the sway bracket jacket and that effectively makes the sway bracket a little wider at just the point were this little springy clip thing is supposed to go down over the bracket. So now there is no way to hold the silver "L" thing in place.

I also bought a set of spare clips so I have one of the older style silver "L" things with the pins, but would like for the included spring ones to work. Any idea about this? (here's a picture showing the issue).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	equalizer pin problem.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	29113  
cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
Well, I just started the setup of my new 1000lb Eqaul-i-zer WD hitch and ran into a couple of glitches. I'm hoping you guys with experience can help me out with these.

First, I can't seem to get the bars to move at all. I've put in the spring bars with the pins and the hitch in the truck, but I just about threw out my back trying to get these things to budge so I could work on them and maybe add some grease. I know they are a friction point, but are they supposed to be that hard to move? What technique do you use to get them to budge so you can hook them up to your trailer?

They should not be that tight. The bar should give you plenty of leverage to move them back and forth as needed.

They seem to have a new L-bar clip mechanism. Instead of a pin that you take on and off there is a springy clip that's permanently attached to the little silver "L" piece that is supposed to clip over the bottom of the main bracket to keep it in place. It looks like a really nice system. However, I also bought the sway bracket jacket and that effectively makes the sway bracket a little wider at just the point were this little springy clip thing is supposed to go down over the bracket. So now there is no way to hold the silver "L" thing in place.

I'm not familiar with the new clips but you might try it without the plastic jacket.

I also bought a set of spare clips so I have one of the older style silver "L" things with the pins, but would like for the included spring ones to work. Any idea about this? (here's a picture showing the issue).
You can give them a call (800) 478-5578. I've had to call them before and found them very helpful.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Mine were real tight also. They will loosen in time. To help get bars on brackets raise the tounge after u connect to ball. No help with the new L pins.
Bodean614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Albuquerque, NM

Sounds like the socket bolts could be too tight & might need some lubrication. The EQ owners manual says these should be approx 45 lbs torqued. I had a similar issue with mine initially, which had been installed by the dealer. Leaving the hitch with no attention at first resulted in a very noticeable pull, which I had to cure with a sharp turn to the opposite direction on the trip home. Loosening the bolts, adding some lub & torqueing to 50 lbs solved the problem for me.

Can't help with the new design, either. Mine is the "old fashion".

Charlie
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

I you are saying that the bars are hard to move, with the ends in the free condition, perhaps there is too much torque on the bolts/nuts underneath. IIRC, they give a torque specification for those. I would recommend loosening them, then apply some grease. The loosened condition will help the grease get between the surfaces. Move the bars back and forth to distribute. Then tighten those bolts back to specification.

As far as the new-style L-pins not fitting over the sway-bracket jackets, call the company. Tell them to either send you updated jackets, or send you another set of the old-style pins.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

What camper unit do you have and hitch weight and what tow vehicle. It seems to me you have To move the hitch in the opposite direction than you may think with these as well as the L brackets.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #7

Also, brand new, you gotta kick and manhandle them. They are real tight.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I looked at those snap L-pins and they will not work with the jackets. So, unfortunately, I can't use them since I really like the noise reduction with the jackets. It seems its one or the other.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

Wow, thanks for all the helpfull suggestions guys. They are brand new and the trunion joints have never been moved. Maybe the paint is sticking them together some as well. I've put the bars in them but they aren't connected to the trailer and can't get them to move still. I'll try kicking them but I don't think it will work. I think I'll then loosen up the bolts underneath until I get them to move and add some grease. Then I'll torque them to spec.

For the L-pins I'll call the company and see if they will send me a pair of the old style that will work with the jackets. The new clip ones don't work with them unless they have a new style of jacket.

I'll let you know how things turn out tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

OK, here's the update. On the unmoving bars, I loosened the nuts on the bottom and was then able to get the spring bars to move. I think it was the paint that had them kind of stuck in place. I added some of the equalizer lube and then torqued them down to 60ft-lb's (45-65 was the spec'd range). They still were movable which was good.

I called equalizer and talked to a helpful customer service person. He said that the new spring clip L-pins were not compatible with the sway bracket jackets. He then said that much of the noise people experience came from the L-pins rattling and leaning in on the spring bars and that the new spring clip versons keep them upright and reduce much of this noise. He also said they were redesigning the sway bracket jackets to be able to work with the spring clip versions but he wasn't sure when they woudl have the new design.

He said they didn't make the old style L-pin anymore and couldn't send me any of those but he is sending me a complementary breakaway cable holder thingy to help offset my expense.

I think I'll see if I can cut "slots" in the bracket jacket and see if I can make them work. I do have a set of the old style because when I bought the "spares" pack it came with the old style L-pins so I could use those instead and leave the spring ones as "backup". I'll play and see how it will work with some modifications.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

I personally don't see the need for the jackets, a little lube on the L brackets is all you need to keep it quiet.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #12

yeah, I've thought about that. But after years of always getting grease on my pants and dealing with messy/greasy hitch pieces, I was looking forward to using these so I didn't have to use messy grease. If I can't figure out how to modify the bracket jackets to work I'll probably go with a little bit of grease.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #13

You might want to try the new-style pins without the jackets to see if he's correct about not having noise.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean614 View Post
Mine were real tight also. They will loosen in time. To help get bars on brackets raise the tounge after u connect to ball. No help with the new L pins.

Mine were so tight when new that it took two of us to move the bars in either direction. You are right, they will loosen some in time. We hated the Equalizer at first. Now we love it. It will get better.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #15

Well I was able to just saw off a small amount from the corners of the bracket jackets so that the clip things will fit. It seems like it aught to work so I'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll use a little grease and go without the jackets. If I don't like that I'll use the old style pins with the jackets. I have endless options :-).