Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Equal-i-zer Dilemma

I don't know what I've done in with my Equal-i-zer hitch, but something isn't quite right with one of the side bars. I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD that we purchased this winter to replace our 1500 Suburban. I made, what I thought, was the correct re-adjustments to the hitch given the height of the truck is higher than the Suburban. We loaded them both and headed south out of St. Louis today with 20-30 MPH winds and gusting to 45. The truck and trailer did fine with very little sway or bounce, and they couldn't have been more level. Here's the dilemma;

When I stopped for fuel, I checked the sway bars and one of the two had no tension on the L bracket. None. I could have removed it. I checked it again when we fueled with the same lack of tension. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We're staying at Cheatham Lake near Nashville until Tuesday and then heading up to Kentucky Horse Park.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Check two things: 1) make sure the bar sockets at the hitch head are torqued to 45-60 ft lbs, and 2) check to see if the L-bracket on that side has "walked" rearward on the trailer frame.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

When you performed the readjustments was it on flat and level ground? Otherwise may have caused you to miscalculate. Did by chance the head angle slip while on the road that would have relieved the tension?
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

Both of you have good questions and thoughts! We changed everything on level concrete with the trailer level and truck loaded with stuff we take camping. I'll check everything else tomorrow, but I think you're on to something with the torque and angles. Thanks
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

You could also swap the spring bars from side to side to see if one has lost its strength (tension).

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Another thought: Was your truck at a sharp angle to the trailer ?? With my Reese setup, then inside bar will be completely loose when the truck and trailer are at a sharp angle........I can lift the bar completely off of the cam. The outside bar takes all of the weight during a sharp turn.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
I don't know what I've done in with my Equal-i-zer hitch, but something isn't quite right with one of the side bars. I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD that we purchased this winter to replace our 1500 Suburban. I made, what I thought, was the correct re-adjustments to the hitch given the height of the truck is higher than the Suburban. We loaded them both and headed south out of St. Louis today with 20-30 MPH winds and gusting to 45. The truck and trailer did fine with very little sway or bounce, and they couldn't have been more level. Here's the dilemma;

When I stopped for fuel, I checked the sway bars and one of the two had no tension on the L bracket. None. I could have removed it. I checked it again when we fueled with the same lack of tension. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We're staying at Cheatham Lake near Nashville until Tuesday and then heading up to Kentucky Horse Park.
So all you adjusted was ball height?seems the whole system would need re-setup for a new vehicle.
One thing that comes to mind it the Frame/receiver angle On the truck could be different... Back of a truck usually sits higher than the front where SUVs are usually more level. That could affect tension. Same w. Changes to ball height...

-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Another thought: Was your truck at a sharp angle to the trailer ?? With my Reese setup, then inside bar will be completely loose when the truck and trailer are at a sharp angle........I can lift the bar completely off of the cam. The outside bar takes all of the weight during a sharp turn.
Today, I torqued everything and reset the ball level, which I didn't do before because I thought it wasn't that bad at an downward angle. The torque wasn't bad, but I did tighten it up. I haven't hooked it up, but feel there was a combination of things. Yes, I had it at a sharp angle when I fueled twice yesterday. Most of the single pumps for trailers are on the very end of the fueling islands making it difficult to turn into them!

I'll let you know how it does Tuesday when we leave here. Finally. some warmth and sunshine. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

The head angle would not cause 1 bar to be loose, while the other is still loaded. The only thing(s) causing only 1 bar to be loose would be:
a. The socket on that side is loose (check both).
b. The L-bracket on that side got moved rearward more than the other side (not likely)
c. That bar got damaged (not likely)
d. The system is fine, but the truck and trailer were not in-line (highly likely, based on the above statement).

There have been times that I'm doing a simple overnight, and do not want to unhitch. Once, I was in a sharp alignment like this, and noticed that 1 bar was completely unloaded. I raised the jack to level things out anyway, which unloaded the 2nd bar significantly. But it was an interesting observation.

Since you have hanged the system, it will be difficult to know which problem you had. But if things look good when straight, try turning sharply and check again.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Feel Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
So all you adjusted was ball height?seems the whole system would need re-setup for a new vehicle.
One thing that comes to mind it the Frame/receiver angle On the truck could be different... Back of a truck usually sits higher than the front where SUVs are usually more level. That could affect tension. Same w. Changes to ball height...

-rvb
Well, after rehashing everything that I did in making changes from the Suburban to our 2500, I failed to load everything that we might, or would take with us like firewood and water in the front tank. We loaded these extra weight robbers and it threw everything off. The front of the trailer was 3" lower than the back. With the combination of everything else you all mentioned, the side bar(s) lost some of it's tension.

Lesson - when making changes to your weight distribution/anti-sway bar system, make sure you have the total amount of weight you expect to take with you in both TT and TV. It could save you from having a very bad day.

Thanks for all the input!!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
rvb

hmm id have thought the tongue being lower would have increased pressure on the spring bars.
oh well, glad you have it set up better.
-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
hmm id have thought the tongue being lower would have increased pressure on the spring bars.
oh well, glad you have it set up better.
-rvb
Should have.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer