Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Equal-i-zer Vs. Reese Weight Dist, Trunnion

I need something in the 12,000 pound range and was wondering what the difference between the Reese and Equal-i-zer are.

any one have pros and cons on the two?

any help is appreciated.

Rig is Cherokee 29.5 ft and towing with F350 Diesel
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Either system should work well.

The Equal-i-zer system tends to keep the truck and trailer in the same position (angle) as the current angle.

The Reese Straight Line Dual Cam tends to get the truck and trailer back to a straight-on angle. I have the Dual Cam, and I can "feel" the truck and trailer trying to straighten as I go into a curve, but not bad. The Equal-i-zer will hold your position in a curve, but will still tend to hold that position coming out of the curve......again, should not be bad.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Team

the Reese requires you drill into the A-frame while the Equal-i-zer requires NO drilling at all.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #4

Doesn't look like any drilling on the Reese Weight Distribution - RP66155 model. Clamps on the A - Frame.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

I have a friend that pulls a 2010 wolfpack 30 wp with his 2010 2500 duramax using the equalizer 4 point hitch. he swears by it but it still can get a little squirrely on him in the wind, enough to feel it from the pass seat a little. I suggested he move his dirt bike back up against the ramp gate behind the sand rail while towing and that made a noticeable difference while towing in the wind. that suggestion was based on personal experience with my previous 30 wp toy hauler after discovering 18% tw! I say this because that toy hauler is 35' long over all and empty 7950 lbs and the rail weighs 1150 lbs and bike 400 lbs. plus gear he's got to be 10k lbs plus so that equ wdh is working. back when I used wdh's I had the trunnion style first and did not like that so I bought the other. I didn't feel the trunnion style provided enough control and I was right in my case pulling at the time my 2006 wolf pack 30wp toy hauler. that one was 10800 lbs loaded with my sand rail and gear and I put a quad in the bed of the truck. my 3/4 ton diesel was not up to the task stability wise imo even with bags and sway bars and heavier springs plus 4 ply sidewall 10 ply tires so I went dually 1 ton and fiver. I didn't use an equalizer brand with mine I used I think a tow master brand with 2 sway brakes and I only say this because I believer the equalizer 4 point I a far far better hitch than the 12k lb one I had.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
Doesn't look like any drilling on the Reese Weight Distribution - RP66155 model. Clamps on the A - Frame.
In my post #2, I did not realize you were referring to the Reese SC WDH......I was presuming the Straight Line Dual Cam.

I don't think the Reese SC would provide as good sway control as the Equal-i-zer.....there are only 2 points of sway control, and those are at the friction pads.

If you decide to go with the top-of-the-line Reese system (Straight Line Dual Cam), then that would be comparable to the Equal-i-zer. But, as bikendan stated, you do have to drill 2 holes in each side of the trailer tongue.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
i also thought you were talking about the Reese Dual-Cam, since it's the one usually being compared to the Equal-i-zer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #8

Sorry for my ignorance in the hitch department, I’ve only used a friction bar before because of small campers. The Reese dealer showed me this unit after I told him I was looking for the Equalizer hitch.

Still hitch shopping and stumbled across this site: AdventureRV.net. Has anyone ever dealt with them? They are advertising an Equalizer E2 Distribution Hitch 12,000 lbs with MFG # 92-00-1200 for 329.90. What is an E2? Then on the same site they have the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch 12000 MFG# 90-00-1200 for 477.99. This is 161.00 dollars less than most other sites, just wondering how they can sell it so cheap. Not sure what their shipping costs are as I didn’t go that far without checking in with you folks.

Equalizer E2 Weight Distribution Hitch 12,000 lbs - $329.90

Equal-i-Zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch 12000# - $477.99

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The E2 is similar to the Reese SC WDH....the sway control is provided by the friction pads.

Besides the friction pads, the Equal-i-zer also provides a damping effect on the spring bars at the hitch head.

With the stated Cherokee with an overall length (has that been confirmed ??) of 29.5' being pulled by a 1 ton truck, then the E2 or Reese SC may work, but the Equal-i-zer would provide better sway control.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Thinking about buying the $477.99 version and shipping would be $50.00 to my address. I have yet to see one cheaper than that. I was more interested in knowing if anyone has used that dealer before. I emailed them and questioned the price and they responded that they buy them in bulk and can offer the lower price.

Hate to get burned.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #11

I bought one from them and it was scratched up considerably and had paint missing in areas indicating it may have been at least partially assembled and returned. I couldn't discern for sure if this was the case, but, if it was, I had no idea whether or not bolts had been over-torqued, etc., and was a little uneasy about it. Tried working with them for a reasonable solution but we couldn't agree about what that was. I returned it and ordered one from RV Wholesalers and they price matched them.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #12

Bingo, that's the info I was looking for and RV Wholesalers is cheaper for the hitch. Didn't look into shipping yet as work got in the way.

thanks Dustman, anyone else have input?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #13

My only input is that it sounds like I paid too much, lol. I was in a hurry and bought off Amazon for about $530 shipped.

One note: It doesn't come with the ball. You can't just go to Autozone and get a ball because the shank needs to be 2-3/8".

Then, the ball needs to be torqued on. I just had a guy at a local shop use an impact for free. We had a little trouble because there isn't room for a big socket, but we got it done. I've heard that RV dealers want to charge for that.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

RVWholesalers.com shipping is always free on parts orders over $125.
12k Equal-i-zer is currently $469.98. I think they have all of the Equal-i-zers on sale right now.
I got my 10k Equal-i-zer from them a few years ago, and it was a no-problem transaction. Between them, etrailer, and Amazon, I rarely need to look further for towing/camping gear.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

Ordered Equal-i-zer 12K hitch and ball yesterday. Looking forward to setting it up. Whole order was $491.00.

I'm hitching this up to a 2014 Cherokee 254Q and was wondering if anyone knows the Hitch height on level ground? Reason for asking this is my driveway is definately not level and I was interested in some pre setup numbers for setting up the hitch ball.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Ordered Equal-i-zer 12K hitch and ball yesterday. Looking forward to setting it up. Whole order was $491.00.
I think you'll really like the Equal-i-zer. I towed with the old school Reese weight distribution hitch for years with the separate sway control. When we bought a newer, heavier trailer, I went with the Equal-i-zer. So much nicer. Quicker to hook up and unhook and nothing to remove prior to backing up into the site like the old Reese with separate sway control. And much better sway control, too, in my experience.

One recommendation -- pick up an extra set of those big "L" pins that hold the bars to the brackets on the trailer. I've heard they can bend, and if they do, you could have a problem hooking up. I think it's around $10 for 2 "L" pins and 2 cotter pins. Cheap insurance.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #17

Thanks for the advice, I think I might look into some wheel bearings also. Maybe next year looking to go cross country.

Other than calling the dealer, is there a site where you can find tech stuff on your camper? Like wheel bearing size etc.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #18
Just a member

Quote:
...was wondering if anyone knows the Hitch height on level ground? Reason for asking this is my driveway is definately not level and I was interested in some pre setup numbers for setting up the hitch ball.
NJ, you need to find some level ground and break out your tape measure. Don't rely on an obscure reference to hitch height for your TT - you need to do it for your particular TT and relative to your TV.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #19

I have ordered several items from RVWholesalers.com before. They are good folks to deal with. They have competitive prices – sometimes the best price.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Norm

I have had both hitches and they neither one compare to the Hensley hitch I had for my 34 ft Windjammer. I pulled it with a F150 and the hitch eliminated any sway I was getting. I am a devoted believer in the Hensley.
normar2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer, weight