Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Yes the propane tanks were both full. I would think that because I'm not going to be camping off the grid anytime soon that I might be able to get away with them empty and then refill at campsite if needed.

You are right about the loading for the trip and that being the only way of knowing exactly what you are dealing with. Thanks for the tips.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
Retired Trucker/43 years

I have a Windjammer 3008W, and the one thing I learned with the hitch .... have it serviced by a QUALIFIED tech. And it seems that may not be at your dealer.

My hitch was installed with ZERO washers, and was not adjusted even then. Had to install the washers, drop the hitch ball and adjust the "L" brackets. At the end of the ordeal, I have pretty good weight distribution.

This all occurred at the same dealer, different tech, (who I see is no longer employed there.) That Equalizer, though sounding simple, is complicated. I also upgraded to the 12,000# setup. One other thing .....

Check under the hitch to see the bars are not physically striking the bolt and nut for the ball mount. It takes a shorter ball bolt than most. I broke one hitch head that way. (Luckily the dealer warranted it, since they installed it.) Oh ... same tech again, btw.

HD 7700# tow package

Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #13

It's really fairly easy. Remove the large upper horizontal bolt and loosen the bottom one. Underneath the hitch is a small bolt you have to back out. My guess is put as many washers in as will fit. You'll know when you have too many, you won't be able to get the upper bolt back in. I have a 14,000 hitch with as many washers installed as possible. As someone else mentioned, your bars should be parallel to the trailer tongue.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneyerbusiness View Post
I have a Windjammer 3008W, and the one thing I learned with the hitch .... have it serviced by a QUALIFIED tech. And it seems that may not be at your dealer.

My hitch was installed with ZERO washers, and was not adjusted even then. Had to install the washers, drop the hitch ball and adjust the "L" brackets. At the end of the ordeal, I have pretty good weight distribution.

This all occurred at the same dealer, different tech, (who I see is no longer employed there.) That Equalizer, though sounding simple, is complicated. I also upgraded to the 12,000# setup. One other thing .....

Check under the hitch to see the bars are not physically striking the bolt and nut for the ball mount. It takes a shorter ball bolt than most. I broke one hitch head that way. (Luckily the dealer warranted it, since they installed it.) Oh ... same tech again, btw.
It sure is strange how some of the dealer installers seemingly don't know 100% what they are doing, but let the customers leave on the interstate. You would figure that liability would be on them if something went horribly wrong on the trip home.

I will check as you said about striking the bolt. Good info there.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
chicagoslick

CLT,

I forgot to mention you have a nice rig...She should provide many years of enjoyment...

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
CLT

Thanks. You also. Tell your wife if she is ever in the area, we could use her decorating skills. Saw your thread here. Looks all "hotely" as my kids would say.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Retired Trucker/43 years

At a dealer, (or buy one yourself), is a tongue scale, you would know exactly how much weight is on the ball. My Windjammer 3008W is at, or slightly above, 1000#, because of the front kitchen with the appliances and food stuffs stored up in the nose.
HD 7700# tow package

Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #18

You can get extra washers at any hardware store. They should be Grade 8 Hardened washers.

B.O.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneyerbusiness View Post
At a dealer, (or buy one yourself), is a tongue scale, you would know exactly how much weight is on the ball. My Windjammer 3008W is at, or slightly above, 1000#, because of the front kitchen with the appliances and food stuffs stored up in the nose.
So can you tell the hitch weight is from the numbers I had in my first post? I know things vary over time as you load it differently but having a baseline is good. Possibly I will check out the Sherline scale. That way I'll know for sure.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
CLT

Got the 6 washers total on now. Have yet to hook it up and see how it feels. Process was rather easy, as many stated above. I wish I would have had a large open ended wrench for one of the sides of the two nuts/bolts on the hitch, but I made it work with some channel locks and I had a socket for the other side.

Just wondering for those who have adjusted theirs, the manual says 320 ft/lb. Has everyone truly gone to spec on that via torque wrench? I only have a 150 ft/lb wrench and it was getting tight then, but I took it off after reaching the 150 and used my 3/4" ratchet until I couldn't tighten any more, which I think was only a full turn. That is without a breaker bar. I could use a breaker bar if needed. Let me know if this is necessary. Thanks.