Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Equalizer 4 pt hitch

I am trading up to a 2013 Salem 30KQBSS this weekend and have to tame quite a bit more tongue weight. The dealer contacted me and to update spring bars from my 800lbs set will be almost $200. I currently have a pro-series with 2 friction control arms. He offered to trade up for a 4 point equilizer hitch out the door for around 350.00. I have always used a trunnion style spring bar system and wonder if there is much difference. Just curious if the Equilizer system is as noisy and creaks like my current system. Do you have to make any adjustments before backing up with Equalizer? My crew cab takes quite a beating in the rear. Any suggestions?

Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

We have the 4-Point Equalizer hitch with 10-K bars. You don't have to do anything to back up your TT. Now comes the question concerning noise. There can be some noise. To get rid of or to minimize the noise I lubricate the friction areas of the bars. Some have said that when you lubricate those areas you will reduce the friction and then you loose the anti-sway control. Read your Equalizer manual carefully and they even tell you to lubricate those areas and they even sell the lubrication on their web sight. So I follow what they say and I've had no problems. The hitch will creak if you don't but only usually when pulling into or out of tight areas. It's a good hitch so I wouldn't let a little noise stop me from buying one again.
TeJay

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

The 4 point Equalizer works for me. Easy to hook up and unhook. Do not have to disconnect to back up. I do not lubricate. Yes, it chrips in the CG or service station when you make a tight turn, but I want the maximum friction for sway control. Good product. Worth the money.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #4

I don't have anything to compare the Equalizer 4Pt to since its the only weight distribution anti sway hitch I've had. But I love it. Hook up is great using a power tongue jack. My 9 year old son gets on one side of the tongue and I on the other. We can hook it up pretty quick, but I always double check the pins. It does creek in tight spots, but it's so easy to use once set up.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

I too have only used the Equalizer. It is easy to hook up and remove by yourself. I lubricate the friction areas but still get some creaking when making tighter radius turns. I would recommend this hitch to anyone.
2001 Ford Excursion XLT
havdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

"Any suggestions?"
Yes. Get the Reese Dual Cam setup or a ProPride unit.
The Equalizer is a simple friction device. It works although I've not used it. Others like it.
They claim 4 points of friction control? 2 bars + 2 ends = 4. On the website they claim that the ball is another friction control point? 4 + 1 = 5 or not?
From the website;
"Use the tongue jack to raise the trailer tongue and tow vehicle until you can swing the arms into place over the trailer brackets."
I don't have to do that. I simply lift the chain bracket with the supplied handle and pin it.
I don't understand lubricating a friction device, and they want to sell you the lube too?? Huh...
With a simple friction device the TT must over come the friction of the device to return to a straight line condition.
The curve of the spring bars on a Reese setup is at all times forcing the TT to stay in a straight line. If the TT moves out of alignment, the curved bars assist in pushing it back.
I run my Reese dry. It does make noise. It works and it works very well.
You may find that with that long, long trailer you need more than a simple friction device.

If someone sent me an Eq 4 point system to try, I would gladly do it.
I bought a ProPride and did not use it. It is a VERY heavy hitch and I felt that I was giving up too much payload weight to justify it.

I am simply sharing my opinions and experience. No harm, no foul.

Curious - what is the payload rating for your truck?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I ended up with the equalizer system as I could not turn down the trade in deal for my other system and read a lot of good reviews. I towed the unit home from the dealer and was impressed with the performance.(at least compared to my old system). I had added about 300lbs of tongue weight from my other unit and it handled it well. The sway was under control as I had a 1 1/2 hour drive in blowing snow on the freeway. That system also comes with a steel bar to lock the arms into place and pin. It was easy to take off the trailer without. I will say it was a beast carrying into the garage, but the arms can be removed from head. I also read a lot of good reviews on the dual cam system and may have purchased from the dealer if they offered that system in stock. My payload rating is 1712 lbs.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

The Dual-Cam systems and the Equal-i-zer systems are probably the 2 most recommended setups as far as bang-for-the-buck. There are systems that will perform better for many times the price (like a Hensley Arrow). And there are cheaper systems (like your basic friction sway controllers) that won't perform as well.

We've used a 10k Equil-i-zer for 2 seasons. It's the only thing we've used with our hybrid. The performance has been great. Yes, it makes noise. I decided to get the L-bracket sleeves, and it did cut down on the noise. By definition, this reduces friction and therefore, the amount of sway control. However, when I flick the steering wheel on the highway, the performance is the same. Trailer moves to 1 side, then a bit to the opposite side, then back on center. I have never had an uneasy feeling, and that is with a 27' hybrid behind a relatively short wheelbase Mountaineer (compared to most pickups).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

Oh, yeah, and don't be confused as far as needing to raise the tongue or not to engage. You can use the Equal-i-zer lifter to engage the bars, just like Twisty can use his lifter bar. But any WDH system will be easier to engage if you first raise the coupler with the jack.
I do not like to pull a lot of stress on 1 side of the system while the other is still disengaged. And if I'm going to raise it, I might as well raise it high enough so I don't have to bother getting the lifter bar.

2 methods to achieve the same goal. Take your pick.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote