Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Equalizer bar came loose

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I backed into a campsite, and when I got out I noticed one of the weight distribution bars just swinging free! Apparently it had somehow gotten free of the "L" shaped clip that holds it to the bracket on the frame of the trailer. I remember a "pop" as I crossed a railroad crossing very close to the campground. I was not going very fast as it was an elevated crossing, and that may not even have been when it popped loose. The clip was still on the bracket, just the bar swinging from the hitch. I remember a friend of mine was helping me hook up, and he is the one that put on the clip, but I took a quick look afterward and everything seemed OK. Those clips have always been a concern, and now even more so. I would really like to know why that happened and how I can prevent it from happening again.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Sounds like you're L brackets may be too far back on the TT if that can slip out at any point in time.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

My understanding is they could come free during a heavy turn while maneuvering (like jackknifing the trailer into a spot) if they are set to the maximum install length as the outside bar would be pulled off the bracket. I don't think it would have popped off going down the road especially considering the L bracket was still there. I would check the installed distance and make sure you are within spec.

I actually reinstalled mine at the low end of the spec to make sure I didn't pop a bar, as I have a tough turn to get my trailer into it's spot and my outside bar always was right at the bracket.
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Sounds like you're L brackets may be too far back on the TT if that can slip out at any point in time.
Concur! Double check the measurements on the brackets. Should be 27-32" back....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-16_11-33-53.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	141627  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

I think I would go back over the installation instructions per Equalizer just for laughs, especially the height measurement section at both front and rear wheel wells so you have the right bending moment on the bars( weight transfer to front axles) and the tilt of the knuckle/washer stack, but I suspect the real culprit is having someone else assist in the hookup. Example, my DW in trying to be a help, 1X put the "L" clip in backwards so it didn't go over the bar. Why? God only knows, but I caught it before it caught me. Just because the dealer installed it...
Yeah, that too on the L brackets!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #6

Specs call for a minimum of 3" of bar protruding past the L bracket. Mine is more like 6" for security.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pretty sure it is all within specs, but I will definitely re-check everything before the next trip. I do think it is suspicious that the one that came loose is the one my friend put on. But again the clip was still on the bracket, correctly.

Edit: I checked the distance, and it was well within specs, about 30" or so. I did move both brackets forward about 3/4" for an added cushion.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

We had this happen once on the maiden voyage of our Rockwood MiniLite. When we were waiting to register at the campground, my husband noticed that both of the anti-sway bars were no longer attached by the L bracket even though they were still in place. We had stopped at a rest area and I thought that someone might have deliberately disconnected them. It only happened once.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer