Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I think I might try taking the jackets off since greasing the sockets seemed to be the ticket for me.
Just to follow up on this; I did take the bracket jackets off for my lat trip. There was no change in the noise - it has been pretty quiet since I started lubing the bar sockets - and no change in the sway that I could tell. The only thing I noticed was that there seemed to be just a touch of "float" on the TV steering. This makes sense since removing the jackets drops the bars down about 1/4 inch at the brackets.

For the return trip, I put the jackets back on and the TV steering felt much better. I'm going to leave them on.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

Is it just me or is the equalizer the messiest hitch ever ? I grease the ball and bar sockets. I got grease everywhere , Maybe I over grease it but too much can`t hurt right?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #13

Maybe it's just terminology, but I don't grease the sockets I grease the pivot points above and below the sockets. To me the sockets are the square openings that the bars slide into. There's no relative motion between the bar and socket so no lube is required.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #14

Yeah, when I said I greased the sockets, I meant the pivot points above and below. As for the mess, I agree, it can be messy (but I think that's the case with anything involving grease basically).

When picking up the hitch head, the underside of the ball platform is an obvious hand-hold and that's the top surface of the bar sockets - so it gets greasy. I have an old pair of leather work gloves that I've dedicated to "hitch work" so it helps but I still always seem to get some grease on me.

I've just recently purchased a "handle" that fits over the ball so you can pick it up without having to touch the hitch. We'll see how that works.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #15

I worded it wrong , I grease the pivot points top and bottom . Not inside the tube where the bar goes.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #16

Equalizer bracket jackets?

Been there done that...even with the jackets put some grease on them and the vertical part of the L-bracket that the bars rub on. Also, keep the ball clean and greased. This in addition to the pivot points. You'll be lucky not to have any noise for a couple of trips. Wash repeat and rinse 😀
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #17

Equalizer bracket jackets?

Also, leave the bars on the head and spread them a little. Pickup a few inches from the head. You can pick the whole thing up like wheelbarrow and move it around. Then you are not taking as much apart or touching the grease. It balances well👍
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Been there done that...even with the jackets put some grease on them and the vertical part of the L-bracket that the bars rub on. Also, keep the ball clean and greased. This in addition to the pivot points. You'll be lucky not to have any noise for a couple of trips. Wash repeat and rinse 😀
I use white lithium grease in a spray can and lube the pivot points on mine before each trip. All the squeak and creak are gone for the duration of the trip (usually only 3-4 days at a time). I also have the quiet jackets. Works for me.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #19

I've had the jackets for 3 years and have been happy. I'm going to switch to the new-style L-pins (and jackets) so the top of the L-pin won't continue to wear into my bars (they are rounded off now).

Word to others:
I have been lazy the last 2 years, and have not been greasing the sockets (top and bottom surfaces). I think I've paid the price, as they have apparently worn to the point that I can move them by hand (even with socket bolts overtorqued). The rig does not seem as stable as before. After making right turns, it continues to pull hard to the right, until I make a left-steer-correction with the wheel.
I need to see if Equal-I-zer will sell me new sockets, hopefully without having to buy the entire head.
Don't let this happen to you. Grease as directed.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
...I think I've paid the price, as they have apparently worn to the point that I can move them by hand (even with socket bolts overtorqued). The rig does not seem as stable as before. After making right turns, it continues to pull hard to the right, until I make a left-steer-correction with the wheel.
I need to see if Equal-I-zer will sell me new sockets, hopefully without having to buy the entire head.
Don't let this happen to you. Grease as directed.
I wonder if you could put a washer between the socket and the hitch plate to give you something to fill the gap?

Tags
equalizer