Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Equalizer Hitch and Air Bags

I maybe kicking a dead horse here but I just can't get a grasp on this: I have a 08 GMC 1500 Sierra with a tow rating of 7400LBS, my Flagstaff 27RLWS weighs out at just under 7000LBS with all the "stuff". I tow it to a seasonal campground and back, 55 miles each way, each year since new, period!
I use the Equalizer 4 point hitch and I installed air bags on the rear of the vehicle when I first got the unit.
My problem is if I use any more then 15lbs of air in the bags, the trailer is REALLY, REALLY squirrely! You know, to the point were you get that knot in your stomach for a second or 2?
I have adjusted, checked and rechecked the hitch installation a number of times according to the installation manual and I still fight this thing when I tow it. Air the bags down to 10 to 15lbs and at times you almost don't know it's there.
My head is thinking I got way to much weight on the front of the vehicle when I air up the bags but the height formula as listed in the installation is right on. But I've been known to over analyze things too....hence the need for air bags.
Any thoughts? The heck with the bags? Did I just answer my own question............?
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I liked the bags as they seemed to absord road bumps. I wonder if because you set up the hitch for A then add enough air to make it C it takes or distributes to much weight from the rear end?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Think my the gm's owner manual says when using wdh never have the front sitting lower than stock height and as close to stock as possible.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

So Doc 73, your saying that since I set up the hitch up without the air bags "aired" I may be throwing off the whole dynamics of the hitch when I do "air" up, makes sense...
And Platokidd, your right about the manual, thanks, I guess I should read it once in while...
Thank you, both for the input
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Yes that is what I was getting at. You set it up to make the truck sit at the height it was before the weight was on it. When you engage the bars it puts it back to the stock height. Now put 20 psi in a bag and it raises the truck 2" or more in the rear it put too little load on the rear end and making it loose?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

I would air up the air bags to the desired pressure and then set up the hitch.
I have the same trailer, tow with a f150, equalizer 1400 and they do a nice job all together.
I added RAS suspension at the truck (made it a little stiffer) and had to change the equalizer set up.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

WDH systems are set up to require at least a little bit of squat to work correctly. If you dial out all of it, there won't be enough tension on the bars to really do anything. Most of the manuals I've read expect 1-2 inches of drop in the rear when setting ball height. If I were to add bags, I'd probably measure unloaded ball height, then hitch up and pressure up just enough to take out anything greater than a 2 inch drop, then disconnect and set up my hitch to bring the front wheel wells back to stock.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

I think you're all on to something in that the WDH and Airbags are working against each other and causing negative affects. As soon as the bags air up, the WDH has much needed tension taken off.

If you want to set the WDH, the bags must be aired to the desired PSI; however, they must always be set to that PSI for the WDH to continue to work the same.

This video actually shows how both systems work similarly and very differently.

The Difference Between Using Weight Distribution and Air Bags to Level Your Load

In the end, the scale is the best way to see if the WDH is set up correctly and working properly.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #9

I use airbags also. I air them to 30psi, then calculated my equalizer hitch. Set up is flawless.
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

Thanks, that video link provided was very informative.... apparently both great systems, just the "rocket scientist" I am, I "set up" WDH before the "airing" the bags thinking the air bags would augment the WDH....... you know the old saying, 'The bottle says take 2 Aspirin so you take 4 'cause it's gotta be better", ya right!
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

Could Weight Imbalance be the issue?

The OP mentioned his 27RLWS weighs in at 7K lbs. The listed dry weight on the web is 6085 lbs. Is it possible the nearly 1,000 lbs of cargo might not be evenly distributed?

Assuming it's not properly loaded and balanced, couldn't that cause the driving difficulties that air bags and WDH's could not fix?

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

Thanks, It's documented dry weight when I picked it up was 6012lbs, (No u-shape dinette, we ordered it with a table and chairs) and I weighed it when it was fully loaded on our first trip to our site. (I'm sure it's less now as we have learned what you need and don't need to bring)
I was assuming that most of my cargo is kitchen accessories and pantry items that we stock along with a full fridge prior to bringing it to our seasonal site each year. Fortunately the kitchen, fridge and pantry unit is mainly is over the axles so I hadn't given it much thought about it but that's something I'll look at.............. Ironically I seem to notice more of a issue when I'm returning at the end of the season and it has less weight on board.
And again thanks for everyone's input...........at this point Id have to say it's "operator error".......me
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
D W

When you say "squirrely" do you mean the TT sways (darts), left and right? If so, I would say that that the air bags are countering the weight distribution and cause you to lose tongue weight. Do you know what your actual tongue weight is from your set-up?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #14

Yes, it "darts" left and right......I don't really know my tongue weight but after all the responses I've received the bottom line is I need to set this up again with the bags aired.
I now believe I'm creating the problem, from all the input I've gotten, by inflating the bags afterwards thinking I'd have a better ride.
Thanks
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Old 11-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
Site Team

ronzo101

I had a 1998 chevy 1500 4x4 ext cab (dam I miss the truck) and towed a 5600 lbs camper. Had a 10k 4pt equalizer wdh and firestone air bags.

I set the hitch up with about 10psi in the bags. Rolled down the road with about 25 to 28 psi in the bags and towing handled great.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

When I was deciding about what hitch to get I talked directly to Equalizer, Blue Ox, Camco and Reese. Each of them advised to set the air bag pressure where I plan to use while towing before setting up the hitch.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
When I was deciding about what hitch to get I talked directly to Equalizer, Blue Ox, Camco and Reese. Each of them advised to set the air bag pressure where I plan to use while towing before setting up the hitch.
Then that's the way go. Could be I just got lucky mine handle so good.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #18

Again, thanks for all the responses. As I stated previously, I am confident this is "operator error" on my part after hearing from all of you and can't wait until to set it up again in the spring..........One thing I did want to clarify is when I stated that my TT weighed out at just under 7000lbs (6901 to be exact) that was with 249.9lbs of fresh water in my tank...... I haven't carried water since the first trip 1n the spring of 2014.
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #19

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that!"

Seriously, though. Air bags are designed to handle payload, that is fairly centered on the rear axle. A WDH kit is designed to handle tongue weight, that is applied several feet behind the rear axle.

Any vehicle with a factory air suspension system will have instructions to disable the air system while you set up the WDH, then engage afterwards. Doing the opposite basically means letting your airbags be the primary means of handling weight distribution. That pretty much means you will never transfer enough weight to the front wheels, which is the primary purpose of a WDH.

I advise you to remove all pressure from the bags, and set up the WDH, and tow your camper. That's what the WDH is for, and it seems to work fine for you.

When you are using your truck for hauling duty (heavy stuff in the bed), air up the bags to suit your needs.

Different tools for different tasks.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that!"

Seriously, though. Air bags are designed to handle payload, that is fairly centered on the rear axle. A WDH kit is designed to handle tongue weight, that is applied several feet behind the rear axle.

Any vehicle with a factory air suspension system will have instructions to disable the air system while you set up the WDH, then engage afterwards. Doing the opposite basically means letting your airbags be the primary means of handling weight distribution. That pretty much means you will never transfer enough weight to the front wheels, which is the primary purpose of a WDH.

I advise you to remove all pressure from the bags, and set up the WDH, and tow your camper. That's what the WDH is for, and it seems to work fine for you.

When you are using your truck for hauling duty (heavy stuff in the bed), air up the bags to suit your needs.

Different tools for different tasks.
You know you have a good point. When I picked this TT at the dealer in Albany NY and towed it back to Cape Cod MA, I did not have air bags on that truck... that truck was also a GMC 1500 with a little less tow rating (7100). Grant it, the trailer wasn't loaded with our "stuff" but I didn't have to white knuckle it home either.
So... aside from that, is the fact the vehicle feels more secure when I air down to 10PSI.......... so I guess do the math, huh?
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Tags
air bags, equalizer, hitch