Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Equalizer hitch: Bars hard to get in place

Getting ready to start our first full season camping, I finally was able to adjust my hitch for my truck. Originally, the dealer only had two washers in the hitch. Now, since I readjusted, I have 5 washers in. The weight distribution is set great. All measurements look good and it tows great. However, the sway bars are very difficult to raise on and to get off as well. I do use my jack to raise the camper tongue, but I had my jack raised all the way up and still had a difficult time getting the bars on with the included helper bar. Also, the hitch seems to now make much more noise than before the adjustments were made. I know noise just means that the hitch is doing its job, but is more noise normal after these adjustments?

Should I just get a bigger block for under my jack so that I can raise the camper more until the bars easily slide on and off? Can I hurt anything by raising the camper tongue too much. It seems like it would almost pick the rear end of my truck up. Should I maybe remove one washer to sort of "split the difference?

Thanks in advance for all of the great advice as I am fairly new to all of this. This forum has become a go to for all of my questions

Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like a lot of lift to me.

You need to weigh your rig to determine whether you are overloading the front axle and camper axles with that set up. Adjusting the WD requires careful "tuning" to avoid distributing too much weight to the camper and front truck axles. You will have big time blow out issues on the camper if you overload those tires.

See our FAQ for how to weigh a travel trailer (use the one that shows three weight tickets with axles weights):

1) Truck, camper, WD bars ON
2) Truck, Camper, WD bars OFF
3) Truck alone, WD bars IN the pickup bed or swung aside in the case of the Equalizer

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

What Herk7769 said.

Just MHO but it reads like you may have it jacked to much.
Did you add the three extra washers at once or one at a time and check it after each also have you had a chance to scale it yet?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffsoldier View Post
Getting ready to start our first full season camping, I finally was able to adjust my hitch for my truck. Originally, the dealer only had two washers in the hitch. Now, since I readjusted, I have 5 washers in. The weight distribution is set great. All measurements look good and it tows great. However, the sway bars are very difficult to raise on and to get off as well. I do use my jack to raise the camper tongue, but I had my jack raised all the way up and still had a difficult time getting the bars on with the included helper bar. Also, the hitch seems to now make much more noise than before the adjustments were made. I know noise just means that the hitch is doing its job, but is more noise normal after these adjustments?

Should I just get a bigger block for under my jack so that I can raise the camper more until the bars easily slide on and off? Can I hurt anything by raising the camper tongue too much. It seems like it would almost pick the rear end of my truck up. Should I maybe remove one washer to sort of "split the difference?

Thanks in advance for all of the great advice as I am fairly new to all of this. This forum has become a go to for all of my questions
You should always put something under the jack on the front. Less stress by not extending it fully.

I have to lock the ball on and lift the back of my truck a couple of inches and then put the bars on by hand. If you are not on level ground, it may require lifting the back of the truck a lil higher.

If you have an electric Lippert jack it will probably wear out in no time. My last one did, and i'm just waiting for this one to go. Then I can get the Husky 4500 like I added to my last TT.
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
GC

I also have this hitch. The manual says to raise the trailer and the truck until the spring bars can be loaded. I have been doing this the same as you, but now notice that where the jack bolts onto the tongue plate, has made the plate bend upward from all that force trying to lift the truck & camper off the ground. Something for sure must be out of whack for both of us.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

I use this under my jack post. Lives with the chock while in transit. No way would I be able to lift enough to get my WDH engaged if I wasn't using this or wood block, or something else. And yes, much better on your jack not to extend full length, especially if you are on a decent slope.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch