Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

equalizer hitch new T231RKXL

Hello,

I'm looking at equalizer hitches and sway control for a new trailer. I rented a trailer last year with the 4 point equalizer hitch and I loved what it did for my ride. THe trailer last year was 32ft 9000 pounds.

I just purchased the T231RKXL which has the following:

GVWR 7470
HW (TW) 433

The equalizer hitch runs around 100 pounds depending on which one you get. So if i'm understanding my numbers correctly I'm putting 533 pds of TW when I use a equalizer and the trailer on my truck. (this doesn't include anything I have in the bed of my truck)

I have a 2017 Tundra with towing cap of 9800 pounds and max payload of 1410, so I can easily tow the new unit. I also have air springs as well. My question is I'm looking at various equalizer hitches and not sure of what to go for given the specs. I'm thinking a hitch with tow capacity of 8000 lbs and tw of 800 which be perfect as I've read going much higher than what you actually needs can make for a rough ride. These are the two I'm looking at, opinions please?

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17499.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66083.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37101ET.html

Thanks
dcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #2

I looked up your trailer as the TW you provided did not seem to line up with the GVWR. The TW you have provided is the dry weight TW. The TW when loaded will be much higher, in the 700 to 800 pound range. My recommendation is that you load the trailer, then scale the TW. In the past we had a similar sized TT and had a 10,000 pound equalizer hitch with a 1,000 pound TW rating that worked well. Fyi, that trailer had a dry TW of 650 pounds, the scaled weight was just under 1,000 pounds.
brianre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Thank you - I had misread the the label on my truck and went back through because that didn't sound right. my max payload is 1410 and i'm new to all these numbers so my understanding is that number is total passengers, cargo, and weight on the bumper.

I have the tow package on the vehicle so it boost the max towable weight from 7200 - 9800. GCWR 16000 lbs and TWR 9800 pounds.

Good to know that the hitch weight in the trailer is 433 at dry weight so I see why by the time you add a loaded trailer, having a equalizer hitch with a 1000 pound TW isn't a bad thing.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurtis View Post
Thank you - I had misread the the label on my truck and went back through because that didn't sound right. my max payload is 1410 and i'm new to all these numbers so my understanding is that number is total passengers, cargo, and weight on the bumper.

I have the tow package on the vehicle so it boost the max towable weight from 7200 - 9800. GCWR 16000 lbs and TWR 9800 pounds.

Good to know that the hitch weight in the trailer is 433 at dry weight so I see why by the time you add a loaded trailer, having a equalizer hitch with a 1000 pound TW isn't a bad thing.
Payload is all OCCUPANTS(including driver), NOT just passengers.
And cargo( which includes the WDH and tongue weight)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

all passengers would naturally include the driver, hence why it wasn't typed out.

with everyone's responses i have the weight terms down. I'm more curious as to individuals responses the the items I posted. Have you used the brands before, did you find a difference between the bars like the equalizer or the chains like the reese, recommendations on a particular one over the other.

At this point I'll be grabbing one with a weight rating of 10000 lbs and 1000 TW, just curious as to a equalizer, curt or reese.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

We have had other EQ hitches, finally got the Equalizer hitch and really LOVE it. Best thing, you can call the factory anytime and get answers to your questions as to how to put it on (relatively easy, by the way), and how to adjust it for your trailer. They are very helpful. Also, they have a lot of videos explaining exactly how to set it up as well as detailed instructions. I also found it easy for my wife to help in hooking up when it is time to tow. You won't be sorry with this hitch.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

dcurtis; I have a hitch listed in the classified that may be of interest to you. I had purchased two sets of weight bars to cover both weight ranges you thought of. If you want more info, private message me and we can discuss.
ralphie racer
ralphieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

4773 dry weight.
2997 cargo capacity (which is ridiculous, unless you have a toy hauler).
Typical conservative estimate for a loaded TT, is 1000 lbs over dry weight, which accounts for dealer/factory options, and your own cargo in the trailer. Let's call estimated loaded weight 5800 lbs.

Loaded TW must be 10-15% of total trailer weight. 5800 *12.5% = 725 lbs.
I always recommend adding 100 lbs to this number, so you are never close to the WDH max rating, which can cause bouncing, or "porpoising". So, that 825 lbs. Now, round up to the next size WDH kit which would be 1000 lbs. Since we already rounded up once, you might get away with an 800 lbs kit, but :
1. These kits allow for a lot of head-room on the high end. My TW is a bit over 700, and my 1000 lb Equal-I-zer kit makes for a great rig.
2. Equal-I-zer, and maybe others, do not make an 800 lbs kit for the 4pt sway control hitch.
3. Having a bit more capacity than you need today, protects for a potential upgrade. Taken care of, these hitch kits should not wear out anytime soon.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, equalizer