Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Equalizer size question. Over size vs. correct size

So my uncle gave me his Equalized WDH. Because we're in the market for a Cherokee GW Limited (4700 dry). It was hard to turn down a free WDH much less an Equalizer.

The only thing that concerns me is it's 1200 TW/12000 Gross.

Which is obviously oversized for what I need. Should I even use it or will it even be effective?

Thanks
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

There is an operating range of WD systems. I don't know about Equalizer, however other WD systems tend to have a range of 1/2 their "size" through their max -- which is usually their advertised size.

I would expect that setup to work on trailers 6k thru 12k lbs with a tongue weight (which is actually what the system is for -- not the actual trailer weight) of 600 thru 1,200 lbs.

Once loaded, you are probably well into the lower limit of the bars. Keep in mind, the less you crank on the bars, the less friction for sway control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

I have an Equalizer, I'm no expert, but I would think being over sized is not an issue. Personally I'd rather be over than under.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There is an operating range of WD systems. I don't know about Equalizer, however other WD systems tend to have a range of 1/2 their "size" through their max -- which is usually their advertised size.

I would expect that setup to work on trailers 6k thru 12k lbs with a tongue weight (which is actually what the system is for -- not the actual trailer weight) of 600 thru 1,200 lbs.

Once loaded, you are probably well into the lower limit of the bars. Keep in mind, the less you crank on the bars, the less friction for sway control.

Appreciate it.

Just so I'm clear. When you say "crank" on the bars you mean how much weight is on the tongue?

Thanks again
Old 07-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

As you put more tension on the bars you are transferring more weight to the front of the truck. Keep in mind you could always buy bars that are designed for lesser tongue weight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Appreciate it.

Just so I'm clear. When you say "crank" on the bars you mean how much weight is on the tongue?

Thanks again
On the Equalizer you don't crank on the bars so to speak. You adjust the amount of weight being transferred back to your vehicle using the adjustment washers in the head of the hitch.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
On the Equalizer you don't crank on the bars so to speak. You adjust the amount of weight being transferred back to your vehicle using the adjustment washers in the head of the hitch.
X2

Free is good!

Your 4700 (dry) TT will likely be around 6000 loaded with tongue weight in the 600 - 900 range so IMO the Equalizer 4 1200 should work just fine. If your setup feels too stiff, which I don't think it will, you should be able to buy replacement bars, (1000 size, etc.) for much less than the whole setup.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

A quick email to Equalizer would probably answer your question without doubt!!

info@equalizerhitch.com

(800) 478-5578

Sure can't hurt to ask!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
A quick email to Equalizer would probably answer your question without doubt!!

info@equalizerhitch.com

(800) 478-5578

Sure can't hurt to ask!

Already ahead of you. I called earlier and left a message. I know their CS is excellent. I believe I'll email them after lunch too just in case.

I wanted to check here too with real world guys. I know there have been others in my situation so I wanted to check here too.

Thanks as always.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Already ahead of you. I called earlier and left a message. I know their CS is excellent. I believe I'll email them after lunch too just in case.

I wanted to check here too with real world guys. I know there have been others in my situation so I wanted to check here too.

Thanks as always.
Awesome! And for what it's worth (maybe a penny and a half ) I think you would be fine too!

But very curious what they say!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Awesome! And for what it's worth (maybe a penny and a half ) I think you would be fine too!

But very curious what they say!
I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #12

I use a Reese WD system. Reese's website shows part numbers for all of their stuff, so you can figure out compatible parts between WD systems/sizes.

I'm not positive, but I thought I read somewhere recently that Equalizer's systems are not very cross-compatible with their different sizes WDs.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Check your equalizer

While I've loved how our eQualizer has handled keeping our trailer straight the last 2 1/2 years, Including after a left rear tire blowout in April, i did remember an incident I read about on this forum a little while back where an equalizer came apart and caused a crash.
As a result I have been checking my 10,000 lb hitch monthly. A couple of weeks ago I found cracks on each side of the weld and reported it to Equalizer. They are replacing the hitch free of carge...but I'm sure glad I checked.

Check yours ASAP and watch for it in the future. While they are great hitches...they are still man made!
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
While I've loved how our eQualizer has handled keeping our trailer straight the last 2 1/2 years, Including after a left rear tire blowout in April, i did remember an incident I read about on this forum a little while back where an equalizer came apart and caused a crash.

As a result I have been checking my 10,000 lb hitch monthly. A couple of weeks ago I found cracks on each side of the weld and reported it to Equalizer. They are replacing the hitch free of carge...but I'm sure glad I checked.

Check yours ASAP and watch for it in the future. While they are great hitches...they are still man made!

It is probably in everyone's best interest to make regular inspections of all of our equipment... especially the WD system.

My Reese SC WD system works very well, however I am at the max tongue weight of the 15,000/1,500 system. I have identified the weak links in the system and inspect them regularly. Every system has its weak link.

Having a bar come loose at speed, for whatever reason, isn't a good thing. If you manage to not hit or run over the bar, someone else might. Not to mention the change in control due to a sudden loss of WD bar.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

Range of Equalizer use

It is a good idea to contact them. I used to tow a Trail Sport 19RDB, which was similar to your unit in overall load rating. I chose to purchase a 10K rated unit which more than met my needs at that time. Once it was dialed in it worked very well - although I soon learned to keep the proper points lubricated.
I traded that RV in for a Puma that GV's out to 7600 so I am still well under the limit, yet am still safe. Some readjustment was necessary. I highly recommend perusing http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...anual_0111.pdf the user manual, which really stresses the correct adjustments and what to watch for.
For me, despite the noise at low speed, the fact that even in wet conditions and severe cross-winds, the trailer and TV reacted as one, if they reacted at all. During flooding in upper NY state, I was forced to use 4x4 and maneuver across soaked, slippery mud slopes. The EQ kept the RV from becoming the heavy pendulum weight that would have dragged me to destruction.

And if it proves to be too much according to the factory? Bigger RV or sell that baby and buy the right model.

Have fun!
Steveadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #16

If the trailer tires don't touch true ground back off on the spring bars.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve29rlx View Post
If the trailer tires don't touch true ground back off on the spring bars.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #18

So I heard back from Equalizer. This was their response.

"Thank you for the email. There isn’t a weight range per say with the equalizer hitch. I know with some other manufactures they have a range of effectiveness but that equalizer will work with the trailer you described. I would just be sure that you have between 10-15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue to get the hitch to perform optimally. If you have further questions feel free to email me."
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #20

4700 + 1000 = 5700 (estimated loaded weight)
5700 * 12.5% = 712 lbs (estimated loaded TW)
5700 * 15% = 855 lbs (worst case loaded TW)
I always like to add 100 lbs to that when determining WDH rating needed, to avoid being too close to the limit (which could cause "porpoising" motion). So that's 812-955 lbs rating.
Then round up to the next "size" rating, which would be the 1000 lbs rating either way (especially since Equalizer doesn't make an 800 lbs unit.

The 1000 lbs Equalizer is what the company would recommend to you. But as others said, the 1200 would still be effective. It will certainly be somewhat stiffer ride than the 1000. But if you already have it, I say give it a try first.

As far as using the 1200 head, and replacing the bars with 1000-lb sticks, I'm not sure if Equal-I-zers work that way. The square bars may be different sizes, meaning they may be loose in the sockets.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer