Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #11

The Andersen is the perfect set up, no need to go balls to the wall in overkill for your set up . no need for the equalizer, it's great for a f150 but with your set up and weights the Andersen will more then suit your needs and out perform the equalizer in handling and set up . I've towed well over 8000 miles with the andersen over the last yr . never any sway . none ever . makes towing a 35' TH a breeze , no bounce either .
I do agree if you have to light a TV and pushing the limits on your weights then i you meed the old fashion greasy heavy WDH hitch . but with your truck and what you're towing the Andersen was made for you .

I've got a 03 chevy 6.0 2500hd and the TH weights in loaded between 9000 and 9400

edited to add that the breaking material started to squeak when making slow turns , So Andersen came out with a new Breaking material to fix this issue seemed to happen after it got real wet . A lifetime warranty . i stopped by the factory in Idaho Falls and they put the new material in for me . all free of course and they sent others the up dated material also for free

Old 07-02-2016, 02:37 AM   #12

We used an Equalizer hitch for 12 years with our 7500 pound Komfort travel trailer. We graduated from a 1993 Ford E-350 Club Wagon to a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, and still used the Equalizer we bought with our 2004 TT. The hitch system provides weight distribution and anti-sway features without the need for an auxiliary friction damper, as we had on a previous TT. When upgrading to the Silverado, we had to re-position the L-brackets on the trailer tongue to compensate for the different height of the tow vehicle hitch receiver. The Equalizer never failed to perform as advertised for the years we used it.

Only one caution, when trying to disconnect the Equalizer sway bars in situations where the tow vehicle and trailer are on uneven ground, with the trailer level and the tow vehicle tilting significantly to one side or the other, it can be a chore to release the sway bars from the L-brackets. Occasionally I had no choice but to unbolt the loaded L-bracket from the trailer frame, slowly and carefully, until the anti-sway pressure was relieved.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #13

Completely agree with everyone. Anderson has a lot of appeal. I wanted it after seeing it. However tv must be under limit of tt. Seams fair to say if tt is over 5000 lb and your tv is a 1/2 ton then go with old school type hitch. By the way just this year I was torn between these two choices also. Went with equalizer and I'm very happy. Let's hope that Anderson soon offers some retooling to there awesome design of a hitch. At that point people like us could consider the Anderson.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We used an Equalizer hitch for 12 years with our 7500 pound Komfort travel trailer. We graduated from a 1993 Ford E-350 Club Wagon to a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, and still used the Equalizer we bought with our 2004 TT. The hitch system provides weight distribution and anti-sway features without the need for an auxiliary friction damper, as we had on a previous TT. When upgrading to the Silverado, we had to re-position the L-brackets on the trailer tongue to compensate for the different height of the tow vehicle hitch receiver. The Equalizer never failed to perform as advertised for the years we used it.

Only one caution, when trying to disconnect the Equalizer sway bars in situations where the tow vehicle and trailer are on uneven ground, with the trailer level and the tow vehicle tilting significantly to one side or the other, it can be a chore to release the sway bars from the L-brackets. Occasionally I had no choice but to unbolt the loaded L-bracket from the trailer frame, slowly and carefully, until the anti-sway pressure was relieved.
This sounds like a Very wrong way to Unhook! You don't have enough Jack to Unload the Pressure? Sounds like you need More Jack! Youroo!!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

In the OP's case the Anderson should work okay. But I have a tendency to prefer to stay with something I have used in the past that I know works. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with an Equalizer and it has always done the job. I have towed less than 2 thousand with an Anderson. On one rig it was not the right hitch for the job, on the other it was fine.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch