Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
I use a Husky Centerline hitch and like it fine. Do feel some sway at times but nothing close to, "white knuckle". Not sure how long the friction areas will last though.
I was not aware of the other designs like the, Hensley. Wondering what is is like to, hitch that linkage up? And what does it behave like when backing??
Thank you.
It took me 3 cycles of hitching and unhitching to get my routine set. Also added a lite coat of grease on the trailer end of the stinger - that helped immeasurably. Biggest part hitching up is to get the singer and the hitch at the same height. My F150 has a GREAT backup camera, so zero issues getting it lined up (you do NOT have to have the trailer and TV in a straight line TV can come in at an angle). DW doesn't assist with hitching. I backup within 2 inches, get out, adjust the height of the trailer, then back in the rest of the way and finish connecting. I marked the correct height on my WD adjustment jacks, so a quick hit with my DeWalt drill gets the WD done in short order. Overall 5+/- minutes start to finish.

Backing up is just backing up, not sure there is any difference from any other hitch, possibly it could be turning a bit quicker, not sure.

There is a slight difference going forward. The pivot point is farther forward than a conventional hitch, so the trailer does turn a bit tighter - along the lines of how a 5ver tracks.

Only the stinger (hitch ball replacement) isn't permanently attached. You never take the WD bars off.

FWIW, the Airstream forum has extensive threads on both the Hensley and the ProPride. Lots of folks there willing to share information and they welcome non AS owners. Just tell them you own a SOB (some other brand).
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #62
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
If I'm in these situations I just unload the bars before trying to go into the site and reload them after we've pulled out. I have yet to find a campground where I can't find an area to do this.
X2. I had to remove the bars before backing our Roo into my driveway. Our current TT is too long for my driveway so it never comes to the house and I've fortunately never had this issue anywhere else.

Hensley and ProPride may be the best systems out there but they are ridiculously expensive. The Equal-i-zer is the best bang for the buck on the market IMO. RVW had the best prices on them.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch