Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olpete View Post
F150, Eco, 4x4, super cab currently pulling a Roo Shamrock 233S..... Working on getting it into my posting signature.

I have the same truck almost but my payload is greater then yours I'm at 1360, how well does your truck tow the 233S? I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy because of this payload and trailer, I think I'm going to be cutting it close with my payload, but your is even lower, I will have two kids me and wife in cab, maybe 100# in bed, but people tell me to add the spec 602# of trail TW plus, propane-battery and this will get me to about 50# of payload.

Let me know how yours handled the 233S?

Thanks,
TT

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I like to think of it this way:
Say you had your trailer hitched without the WDH engaged. WD bars are secured in the head, but not engaged. Now have 2 gorillas, and each one grabbed a WDH bar and lifted, still holding the end of each bar.

At this point, a large torque has been applied to the hitch head, which lifts the coupler, removes a lot of weight from the rear axle, and adds a little bit of weight to the front axle. The difference between these 2 weights is being supported by the gorillas, so all forces balance out. Note that no additional weight has been added or removed from the trailer (yet).

Now have the apes place the ends of the bars on the Equal-I-zer L-brackets (or the snap-up brackets, etc) and let go. The force that they were supporting is now supported by the A-frame. Some of that weight gets transferred to the trailer axles. The remaining weight actually goes into the ball, and that's where the math would get really difficult, since it cycles back thru the system.
ahhhhh...thats why I used the rear axle as the 3rd party. All the weight is supported by the 3 locations. once you have WD attached, think of it as one long continuous member. What comes off the rear axle gets distributed to the ends.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I like to think of it this way:
Say you had your trailer hitched without the WDH engaged. WD bars are secured in the head, but not engaged. Now have 2 gorillas, and each one grabbed a WDH bar and lifted, still holding the end of each bar.

At this point, a large torque has been applied to the hitch head, which lifts the coupler, removes a lot of weight from the rear axle, and adds a little bit of weight to the front axle. The difference between these 2 weights is being supported by the gorillas, so all forces balance out. Note that no additional weight has been added or removed from the trailer (yet).

Now have the apes place the ends of the bars on the Equal-I-zer L-brackets (or the snap-up brackets, etc) and let go. The force that they were supporting is now supported by the A-frame. Some of that weight gets transferred to the trailer axles. The remaining weight actually goes into the ball, and that's where the math would get really difficult, since it cycles back thru the system.
Excellent explanation !!!

Hopefully PETA won't get on you for making those gorillas lift all of that weight.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
I think we are saying the same thing. Yes, a WDH's job is to transfer all lost front axle weight back onto the front axle. And in the process some weight is also transferred to the trailer axle(s).

I'm simply trying to be sure that someone (random example) with 500/750 (WC/WD) receiver rating does not tow a 900 lb TW trailer, and say they are OK because the WDH calculations say TW was effectively reduced to under 750lbs. In my example, the 750 lbs TW limit references the unhitched trailer's TW.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #25

TT -
I towed it 8000 miles to Alaska and back last summer without any trouble other than 2 flat tires.
I carried a 44 lb generator, an extra 12 gal gas, and odds an ends in the bed plus myself and wife. We tried to keep the truck as empty as possible.
I have a 36 gal gas tank in the Truck - wonder if that is the diff in payloads between our TV?

The gross combined weight of our rig was 11,940 lbs exceeded the trucks payload slightly.
You should be in better shape with the larger available payload.

PS - be sure to have your rig parked very slightly lower in the corner of the trailer with the shower. About the only way to keep water from getting on the bathroom floor.
Olpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #26

If 1/3 the tongue weight transfers back to the trailer when using a weight distribution hitch, there could be a problem with trailer axles. The trailer axles weight limits are computed with approx. 10% of the trailer weight being transferred to the TV, if 1/3 of the tongue weight is put back on the trailer, the axles, especially the front axle may be over weight. Is this causing some of the tire problems?
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #27

I really don't know if it's 1/3 of the TW. That's just a random figure to highlight that whatever it is, it's less than what is being transferred to the front wheels. Whoever provided some actual numbers above, showed that it amounted to only 40 additional lbs on the trailer axles vs. 200 lbs added to the front axle. So of 240 lbs transferred, it was actually only 1/6 going to the trailer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
If 1/3 the tongue weight transfers back to the trailer when using a weight distribution hitch, there could be a problem with trailer axles. The trailer axles weight limits are computed with approx. 10% of the trailer weight being transferred to the TV, if 1/3 of the tongue weight is put back on the trailer, the axles, especially the front axle may be over weight. Is this causing some of the tire problems?
I dont think the axles are calculated with tongue weight figured in. the gross trailer weight rating is. so a trailer may be rated at 7700 lbs with 2 3500lb axles. so with weight distribution, the 7000lb figure applies
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #29

When trying to match a trailer to a tow vehicle there are two main things to look at - 1) the max towing capacity of the vehicle and 2) the max tongue weight of the vehicle. The max tongue weight is usually given with the note that it is based upon using a weight distribution hitch. Make sure the vehicle you have can meet or is less than these two numbers otherwise your looking for trouble. If you go to the Ford website you should be able to find these two numbers (don't trust your car or RV dealer). If you can't find these call Ford Motor Co. and based upon your vin# they can tell you.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, safety, weight