Old 08-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #51

We discussed this with a mechanic the other day and he says the best thing to do is get the unit out of overdrive./ cruise control. And it is true. because when you are climbing steep grades never mention 6% ( depending on the load) the transmission is continually shifting up and down and getting cooked, and at the same time the engine is revving up and down fighting to maintain the selected speed... Get into a lower gear and let the drive train do its job instead of beating on it.

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker
2010 F-150 Ford

Old 08-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #52

You'll get tiered of putting money in the 6.0. I bought one cheap and did the bulletproofing. Still had problems. Was on a 4700 mile road trip and at 950 miles it died again. Wish it would of burnt to the ground that day. Would of saved me a ton of money when I bought the new 6.7.

Should of listen to everyone one the web, but thought I was getting a deal. There is a reason they are cheap to get when looking for a diesel truck.

Hope you have better luck.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #53

I would not own a diesel. Although I have looked at them a number of times for an RV or a truck. Fuel is no cheaper , they are loud and maintenance is more than an efficiently maintained gas engine.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
I would not own a diesel. Although I have looked at them a number of times for an RV or a truck. Fuel is no cheaper , they are loud and maintenance is more than an efficiently maintained gas engine.
uh... thank you for your opinion?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I bought a 6.0 last year (at a great price, and low mileage) and I didn't know about its issues. Google Bullet Proof Diesel, or 6.0 problems. Once those problems are fixed, the engine should be good for 300,000 miles or so. I haven't done that yet, but I plan to.
Bought my '06 6.0 F350 two years ago with very low "farm" mileage, for below trade in value. Had it bulletproofed this year, cost me 3K but it's running great. I would definitely buy another if the chassis is in great shape.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #56

I wouldn't own anything but a diesel... greatest towing ever.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #57

I agree, you did nothing that should have caused that particular failure. Many issues with that motor and that turbo just gave up the ghost at a bad time.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That 6.0 International engine that Ford chose to up the horse power/torque every year to keep ahead of the Dodge/GM trucks was the real problem. I had 2 of them over the years. That same engine is still powering most international school buses in service without many headaches.
I havent read the whole thread, so maybe this has already been said.The 6.0 came about because the 7.3 could not be made "clean enough" to meet epa standards w/o limiting its power output to an unaceptable level.
The 6.0 is loaded with emision controls,the most problimatic being the undersized/poorly designed egr cooler.Another poor design choice was not useing enough cylinder head bolts,thus allowing the heads to lift. The variable ratio compressor wheel in the turbo was an attempt toclean up the turbo lag,and poor low speed boost performance of what was an undersized turbo in the first.The very small passages in the engine oil cooler are prone to clogging as well and needs to be flushed (on the coolant side)on a regular basis.
Lastly, you cannot directly compare the 6.0 that IH uses in its vehicles to the ford version due to the fact that the IH units are over 10k gross and are not all loaded up with emission controls.This was also true of the 2nd generation 7.3,however it did not have emission controls but was instead burdand withseveral design changes that Ford insisted on because of what they considered "driveability issues".In the case of the 7.3,all the issues can be tuned out,and the hp/torque brought up to specs that exceed the 6.0.Unfortuneatly when this is done, the 4r100 trans (which itself was never intended for diesel applications , being a 20 yr old design) becomes the weak link.This is easily fixed with a proper converter and "built" aftermarket trans.
So the bottom line here is that Ford was forced to build the 6.0,such as it is,by the EPA and the fact that the were cost issues as well.The transmission however, was a big improvement!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #59

I love my Silverado diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I love my Silverado diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2 Can't imagine a better combo than a Duramax/Allison combo. This 2013 Silverado 2500HD is my second diesel [6.0 Ford, ugh] and been happy with everything it will do AND the fuel mileage. Sure beat my Titan on mileage and power, but that is apples and oranges.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote