Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #71

Yea, IMO. cheap energy is what gave the US an advantage over other countries and made it prosper. The current regime is reversing that. We are the Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas. It's clean and we should be using it for nearly all power generation. Unlike every other source of energy, Hydrocarbons/ gas, coal etc.. are not government subsidized and don't need to be. They can stand alone with tax dollars.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #72

With all of the 6.0L bashing it makes me love mine even more. The 6.0L is the best value if you are looking for a used truck BUT you need to know what you are looking at. I also do not mind and quite enjoy wrenching on my 7 cars/trucks and 4 trailers. The 6.0L needs very little work and is very reliable, I just religiously maintain it and I have no plans to install power adders. The 6.0L does not have a DEF system so it gets better mileage than the 6.4L and 6.7L, cheaper to repair and easier to work on.

Nights Camped 2017 9
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #73

I don't follow the trashing on early 6.0s. My father's business has 3 2004 6.0 super duty. Two have over 350k and only issue had been radiators. We tow a 35 foot enclosed to Vegas and back every week loaded full, 18k easy. there are several grades grater than 6 percent...that said, every product no matter how well had a fail ratio, probably got that outlier.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
How is one to know exactly what a JGC EcoDiesel is?
Sorry.

Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #75

There was no "bashing/trashing" on my part.A discussion aboutmaintence intence areas,yes.I could list and "bash" the 7.3 too,it had problems as well,and Ive had them all.Rusted out oil pans,rusted out exhaust manifolds,direct drive starter motors that dont crank it over fast enough to start,glow plug wire harnesses that break at the valve cover,I could write a book about it,but the fact remains that the 7.3 has a longer b-10 and b-50 life than the 6.0.Both the 7.3 and the cummuns are med duty truck engines,the 6.0,6.4.6.7 are all light duty.That doesnt make them "inferior" or not desireable because most people dont drive them long enough to ever care about a 350000 mile b-50 rateing.Anyway,sorry if I struck a nerve.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #76

I had an Olds 88 Diesel, the biggest piece of crap GM every made. Anybody want to refute that ha, ha. It took GM a couple of decades to realize they could not build small diesels. The 6.5 truck were just about as bad. Sorry for getting off track, just trying to lighten things up, ha ha

The Cars That Killed GM: The Oldsmobile Diesel - Autosavant | Autosavant
Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #77

Just to show everyone how smart I am,I had 2 of them! Actually we never had issues with either one ,and even towed a 19' tt with the '79 98.It had well over 100k on it when we sold it.One of the biggest issues with that motor was cold start drivability.It needed to be warmed up and the block/heads normalized,if it was run cold,head cracking was unavoidable.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #78

I would chime in here about my opinion of Washington and its war on fossil fuels, but have been advised to keep politics out of the forum, and it is a good rule.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Just to show everyone how smart I am,I had 2 of them! Actually we never had issues with either one ,and even towed a 19' tt with the '79 98.It had well over 100k on it when we sold it.One of the biggest issues with that motor was cold start drivability.It needed to be warmed up and the block/heads normalized,if it was run cold,head cracking was unavoidable.
Dad had an 79 Olds 88 and I worked at an Olds dealer in the early 80's. The Olds diesel did not have a good water and fuel filtration system and they did not have enough head bolts. The water in the fuel along with the mechanical fuel injection system caused many of the failures. By the time the diesels were phased out in 1984 they were fairly reliable. GM stood by many of the vehicles and replaced the engines, groups like DDOG (Disgruntled Diesel Owners Group) helped for customers to get refunds. GM refunded my father money long after he had traded the car in to cover the customer pay part of an engine replacement (piston exploded at 88,000 miles)

To be honest I would like to find a Diesel Cutlass as a commuter car.
Nights Camped 2017 9
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
Dad had an 79 Olds 88 and I worked at an Olds dealer in the early 80's. The Olds diesel did not have a good water and fuel filtration system and they did not have enough head bolts. The water in the fuel along with the mechanical fuel injection system caused many of the failures. By the time the diesels were phased out in 1984 they were fairly reliable. GM stood by many of the vehicles and replaced the engines, groups like DDOG (Disgruntled Diesel Owners Group) helped for customers to get refunds. GM refunded my father money long after he had traded the car in to cover the customer pay part of an engine replacement (piston exploded at 88,000 miles)

To be honest I would like to find a Diesel Cutlass as a commuter car.

The diesel cutlass!,the anemic 260 cid! The guy down the street had one,he had to open the door and push it off when starting out at a traffic light! I had abig truck water separater on ours so water in fuel was never an issue,but you are correct,water in the fuel would take out the governer ring in the roosa master pump every time.