Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Tyler & Connie Foxx

Expensive mistake to make

A few months ago we were driving through TN, while towing our 40ft Salem Hemisphere to Florida for a vacation at Disney World.

While driving over a mountain know to the locals as "Million Dollar Moutain" with the cruise control set to 50mph, I failed to see a sign that said 6% grade ahead, trucks use low gear!

Not even half way up the Moutain I noticed our truck (Ford F-350 SuperDuty) was struggling to keep pace, it was at that moment I realized I was trying to go far to fast for the grade we were on. As I reached to switch off the cruise control there was a loud bang, then a lot of smoke!!! I immediately pulled over set the break and hazard lights, and jumped out to open the hood to find half of the engine on fire!!!!!!!

Come to find out that the turbo had blown spraying high-pressure oil over the engine causing a large fire and $11,000 worth of damage!!! I was able to put the fire out, but it ruined our vacation, and stranded the truck and trailer in TN for weeks while the repairs where done.

The moral of the story, Pay attention to roadsigns and don't be in a hurry when you're climbing steep hills!!! The fire department told me going up a hills that steep you should always locked out over Drive, I've driven large vehicles for a long time but never pulled a trailer with the truck so I was unaware that the same rules applied. Very expensive lesson to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	114953  
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxLandArk View Post
A few months ago we were driving through TN, while towing our 40ft Salem Hemisphere to Florida for a vacation at Disney World.

While driving over a mountain know to the locals as "Million Dollar Moutain" with the cruise control set to 50mph, I failed to see a sign that said 6% grade ahead, trucks use low gear!

Not even half way up the Moutain I noticed our truck (Ford F-350 SuperDuty) was struggling to keep pace, it was at that moment I realized I was trying to go far to fast for the grade we were on. As I reached to switch off the cruise control there was a loud bang, then a lot of smoke!!! I immediately pulled over set the break and hazard lights, and jumped out to open the hood to find half of the engine on fire!!!!!!!

Come to find out that the turbo had blown spraying high-pressure oil over the engine causing a large fire and $11,000 worth of damage!!! I was able to put the fire out, but it ruined our vacation, and stranded the truck and trailer in TN for weeks while the repairs where done.

The moral of the story, Pay attention to roadsigns and don't be in a hurry when you're climbing steep hills!!! The fire department told me going up a hills that steep you should always locked out over Drive, I've driven large vehicles for a long time but never pulled a trailer with the truck so I was unaware that the same rules applied. Very expensive lesson to learn.

Although locking out overdrive, using tow/haul, downshifting, etc. is ideal... you should not have had your engine blow up because of what you did.

The truck should have/would have/did downshift eventually on its own.

I strongly believe you just found a defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

I take it this was the 2003 SD with the 6.0 in your profile.

I think the turbo just let go, the truck should have made the climb even on cruse without issue.

How many miles on it?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Was this an automatic trans? I agree with 325BH if it was an auto.
Most newer vehicles don't care what gear you have selected with an auto, if the parameters do not meet as designed into the trans controller. Outside those parameters the controller will shift gears regardless. That is true for overdrive down to a lower gear, or place it in 1st gear and keep accelerating, the trans will eventually shift into a higher gear.

Regardless, it is a shame you did not get to your location as expected.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Tyler & Connie Foxx

I was told by the mechanic that because it was a 2003 Ford F350 super duty 6.0 , with 87,000 original miles, that the turbo may just have been at the end of it's life. But it was definitely the pressure caused from the cruise control downshifting the transmission that cause the pressure that blew the turbo. That according to ford
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Ford 6.0 worst diesel ford ever had. A lot of issues with that engine.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
Carknocker Family

I would say they circled the problem, but it's too soon. Sorry for your loss.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post

That 6.0 International engine that Ford chose to up the horse power/torque every year to keep ahead of the Dodge/GM trucks was the real problem. I had 2 of them over the years. That same engine is still powering most international school buses in service without many headaches.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That 6.0 International engine that Ford chose to up the horse power/torque every year to keep ahead of the Dodge/GM trucks was the real problem. I had 2 of them over the years. That same engine is still powering most international school buses in service without many headaches.
The international 7.3 was a lot better than the 6.0 Heard if you let the 6.0 idle too long it would dump diesel into the oil. Main reason I never bought one.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

I'm with most of the replies here. 6% isn't that much of a grade out West here. Shoulda been able to pull that hill down one gear from overdrive at maybe 1700 RPM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #11

I wouldn't be too quick to blame yourself on this one. If you have not done so, Google "ford turbo diesel engine fires". There is a lot of information here on turbo diesel fires over several year models. You may well have recourse on Ford.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
X2
Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
I had a 6.0, then a 6.4 and now a 6.7 (the first diesel that Ford itself built). Never had trucks long enough to have problems but I might keep this one for awhile. The motor is strong and the transmission is pretty tough, although the new transmissions coming out are going to be interesting.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

I've had diesels & gassers and 8 speed automatic trans.... but I learned something a long time ago... I never use cruise control in the mountains or when its raining...
Glad to hear your family was safe..
Happy trails,.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonj12 View Post
I'm with most of the replies here. 6% isn't that much of a grade out West here. Shoulda been able to pull that hill down one gear from overdrive at maybe 1700 RPM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Here in BC we pull 7-10 % Grades pretty well everywhere if we leave the coast . In the far north lots of 11-14%. I would concur that the turbo didn't calve because you were abusing it. It had lived it's short life and a turbo if it's going to go will almost always pop under heavy load full boost. Have had two of them blow up in my commercial transport days and both a hard steep pulls. Sorry for your misfortune. I pull with n/a gas 6.2 so don't have a turbo to worry about 😊
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
I've had diesels & gassers and 8 speed automatic trans.... but I learned something a long time ago... I never use cruise control in the mountains or when its raining...
Happy trails,.
x2

Fundamental
Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
but I learned something a long time ago... I never use cruise control in the mountains or when its raining...
Happy trails,.
X 2 or snow for us in the Great White North. When we had our F250 SD we were very lucky that the turbo went while it was still under warranty.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Sad end to your wonderful vacation but it could have been so much worse.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #18

Ford Superduty 6.0

I bought a 6.0 last year (at a great price, and low mileage) and I didn't know about its issues. Google Bullet Proof Diesel, or 6.0 problems. Once those problems are fixed, the engine should be good for 300,000 miles or so. I haven't done that yet, but I plan to.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #19

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Glad you made it through the ordeal safely. My question is how did you put the fire out or did you let it burn out? Just curious.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #20

Not your fault. Those turbos will eventually take a dump. My 2007 6.0 (my last ford) had the oil seals blow out at 98k. I wasn't even towing. Lucky replaced the entire turbo under warranty but at 103k the EGR crap was dying so I went over to the Duramax side and haven't turned. Lol.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote