Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #1

Experienced Sport Trac Haulers Out There?

Afternoon all,

I have just picked up a new (to us) camping rig for the family and I, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience hauling with a Sport Trac?

The newish trailer is a 2004 Shamrock 21' HTT. I believe dry weight on it is roughly 3000LBS with a 260LB tongue weight. When we are fully loaded for camping, I would estimate the trailer comes in at about 3800LBS

Our TV is a 2005 Sport Trac (Adrenalin), with the 205HP 4.0L V6 and 4:10 in the rear. We have a 700 pound WD hitch and a full trailer break setup, and an aftermarket transmission cooler (not sure of the make, came with the truck).

I have only hauled the trailer 3 times so for, for a total of about 300 miles, and it pulls well. However, on our last return trip, I hit serious cross/head winds (60km - 80km gusts). When I hit this head wind, my little work horse had it all it could do to keep 95km, RPM at 3k and if I tried for more it would kick down to passing gear (really makes me wonder if I can handle a mountain trip).

I looked at my towing guide guild for the vehicly and all that I can find is that it is rated for 3500LBS, or 5300LBS "if properly equipped". I have not yet be able to define what "if properly equipped" means. We have the trans cooler, the WD hitch, trailer breaks... I am cautiously assuming this meets the criteria. Can someone out there using a Sport Trac for real world camping throw some comments my way on the thier experience?

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

Chris
cschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

you've experienced why most will suggest a v-8 to tow a travel trailer. the wind resistance of pulling a barn door will easily strain a v-6.
i had an Explorer 4.0 v-6 and i would never had asked it to tow a travel trailer. but i have to go over the Sierras, Cascades and Siskiyous to get anywhere.
in normal situations, your Sport-Trac can tow 5000lbs. but it's not going to be happy whent the weather gets rough.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I live in the middle of the praries here, and it maybe that I should keep my little rig in on the flatlands until I can upgrade my TV. However it would still be nice to hear from anyone that has towed with a similiar vehicle, and how they found it in the hills. I am not to far from the Rockies, and it would be nice to hear if a short trip into them is a feasable thought, even if a trip all the way through is not.

Thanks again,

Chris
cschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #4

Back when I first started out, I was using a Sport Trac... Until I burned out my transmission. I was pulling about 4,000 lbs (Dry weight trailer) and it finally gave up on me.

After having the ST transmission rebuilt, I sold it and got serious and got a V8 f250 and never looked back.
California Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote