Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #41

having extra fuel is great pease of mind and convience but doesnt pencil out to save a nickel on fuel IMO If you spend $400 on a tank and labor and save 10 a gal It would take purchaceing 4000 gal to break even
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
having extra fuel is great pease of mind and convience but doesnt pencil out to save a nickel on fuel IMO If you spend $400 on a tank and labor and save 10 a gal It would take purchaceing 4000 gal to break even

Yea I didn't install the 100 gallon tank to save money, I got the tank for convenience. I don't like going into truckstops pulling the camper. Plus the diesel along most interstate highways are mostly higher that smaller towns. I usually fill up at the end of each day driving. I make better time, drive more miles in a day. It works for me. I may have brought 2,000 gallons last year or more, I purchased the tank ten years ago. At a Pilot/Flying J from my house on I-40 the diesel is $3.15 a gallon, ten miles from there diesel is $2.65 a gallon. I live a mile from the Pilot station, if you filled up the 100 gallon tank the difference would be fifty bucks.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Transfer Flow tanks are expensive, but you get what you pay for and you don’t have to collect components and install everything. I guess you could call it more “turn key installation” if you can afford it, that is certainly the easiest approach.
Does the TF system come with a filter/water separate as part of the package? Very important as water is the biggest concern and trouble maker to Diesel engines. My sailboat engine (Yanmar) goes through water filters like candy.
Yes, the TF system comes with a filter.
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #44
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

According to GasBUddy, today in Houston (a city of 2 million not counting the metro area) has a price swing for diesel with a low of $2.09 and a high of $3.12 / gallon. The average is $2.49.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #45
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
According to GasBUddy, today in Houston (a city of 2 million not counting the metro area) has a price swing for diesel with a low of $2.09 and a high of $3.12 / gallon. The average is $2.49.

So with a $1.03 a gallon in savings, I potentionally could save a total of $130 on a 126 gallon fill-up. So the tank would pay for itself in our lifetime. [emoji79] Not that it matters anyways.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
So with a $1.03 a gallon in savings, I potentionally could save a total of $130 on a 126 gallon fill-up. So the tank would pay for itself in our lifetime. [emoji79] Not that it matters anyways.

Well take last year I went to Alaska and brought 1260 gallons of diesel, I did not save no where near that much on a gallon but if I had I would have paid for the tank on one trip. I know I have paid for my tank in the ten years I have had the tank. I have really spoiled DW in that she has never had to go in truckstops to pay for fuel. We stop at rest stops and I fill the truck with fuel, we both use the bathroom, get something to eat and be back on the road in about 15 minutes. Now sometimes with not many miles to go we stop longer. I can easily make 400 miles or more in a day and never drive at night. I normally try to drive 63 but mostly I get tired of being passed and end up doing 70. We stop for the night, unhook and find a cheap place to buy fuel and fill up. Works for us
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #47

Several years ago we got caught in Florida needing to get back to Texas when a tropical storm developed in the Gulf of Mexico . The fuel lines backed up onto I-10 at the exits. We did not have any reserve at the time and was forced to wait in lines for fuel at the stations that still had any.. Cost dearly in time off the highway. We now have the RDS 45 gallon tank/tool box. I don't want to ever get caught like that again.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #48

I have been brainstorming on adding an external fuel tank because 26 gallon factory tank is ridiculous. This will fit under my toolbox in bed of truck and holds 17 gallons, but probably 15 gallons of usable fuel. 15 gallons will get me another 150 miles down the road.
Click image for larger version

Name:	821-2172a.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	159906
I'll put two tees into vent line, one for feed other for return. If it gets turned on to fill and truck tank can't hold the fuel, it will return to external tank.

This way I can extend my range while the kids are sleeping!

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #49

I don't mind stopping for fuel (gas) every 250 miles or so. Stretch legs, get a fresh cup of coffee, make bladder more comfortable, stretch legs, let dog check "pee mail", etc.

I carry an extra 20 gallons of gas for the generator so if I was to find myself with no fuel stop I can just "borrow" from that stash.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #50

I've F350 SB, CB. Why Ford would built this awesome truck with a 26 gallon tank is completely beyond me. To solve the problem, I'm having a Titian 50 gallon replacement tank installed this week. The install looks pretty easy, but I just don't have the space to do it, so having the shop that's putting in my Superglide do it.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #51

Yea, I went with the 88 gallon tank for 3 reasons:

with a 14,500 lb gross, weight ain't a problem.

I have the room for it, (as well as a crapload of stuff I likely don't really need to have along)

'Cause I always wanted to be able to say "Yep, she tanks 100 gallons" I guess that's a guy thing.

I don't have fine numbers yet, but rough figuring tells me the extra weight I'm carrying is costing me less than 1/4 mile per gallon. I didn't use the 5'er as extra weight, but if I did, the numbers still don't change much.

It'll be fun to play with a chin rug and a wind deflector (kinda makes the old girl look more like a grasshopper... (gotta find 2- 8 foot CB whips, roflmao)

Just for the record, I found my 88 gal "L" tank, used for $100.00 (+ 60 mile drive) the pump, hoses, nozzle and tank fill cap for just a bit over $130.00. only a couple more fittings, install, and I'm done.

I've always been so tight, I squeak when I walk. (Typical penny pinchin' man hour grubbing redneck engineer)

The saddest part of that story is, I'll spend $50.00 on a really good hamburger, with a view. as, I suspect, will many of us, and never bat an eye...

Paul
shooter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't mind stopping for fuel (gas) every 250 miles or so. Stretch legs, get a fresh cup of coffee, make bladder more comfortable, stretch legs, let dog check "pee mail", etc.

I carry an extra 20 gallons of gas for the generator so if I was to find myself with no fuel stop I can just "borrow" from that stash.
I need to carry more also. What do you use for your extra 20 gallons?
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
I have seen 14 gallon gas caddys for 100 bucks and 12 gallon fuel cells for 88 bucks. Those are the 2 options i am looking at. 1 other way was 5 5gallon cans.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post

Right now I carry 4 5-gallon containers and use a battery powered pump (actually more of a battery assisted siphon) to transfer from container to generator.

I considered going with a fixed tank like the larger Atwood boat tank but then I'd have to move the truck next to the generator, or haul the generator back to the truck, for fueling. This way I have the option of fueling wherever the generator is. Last campsite I couldn't get the truck close to where I set the generator.

BTW, my generator is a dual fuel inverter (3500 W Champion) so I also carry two 20# propane tanks. When I travel through high altitude I use the propane as the regulator compensates automatically for the altitude. When I come back down from altitude I just change back to gasoline. No need to change main jet back and forth.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #55

I bought this and so far works good for filling up my snowblowers and quad. Havent tried it yet for truck, bought it for when i start this camping season. Plan on carrying about 30gal of fuel. Pic wont post, its a 12v gastapper in a case.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #56

I just acquired a 30 gallon "motor home" propane tank and a dual fuel converter to run the genset on propane.

The plan is to run the 5er from the onboard 20 gallon tanks, most of the time. (fridge when underway, etc) I will install a "T" fitting, down stream of the house tanks, so I can run the whole shootin' match from the TV, including the genset, off the big tank when boondockin. Even the low pressure line for the BBQ will not need any special attention. (time to find a LPG fire pit)

The weight of the LP tank will help balance the aux diesel tank, genset , air compressor and tool box on the flatbed TV.

And away we go...

Paul
Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #57

Which tanks are better? The ones that are tranfer,or the one with the pump. Also tool box or no tool box.I am thinking of getting one.
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #58

Also what kind of tank? Steel or_
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #59

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
$25 for a 5gal tank. That will get me 50mi. Surely I can find diesel within 50 mi...
I bought a 5-gallon No-Spill fuel can and the extension, which just barely extends past the innermost "flipper" in the filler neck. In most cases, I will probably never need it, except for when traveling long distances in remote areas. Finding a truck and trailer/RV accessible Diesel pump is usually the greater concern.

...and don't call me Shirley.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #60

As practical advice, I have found steel tanks to be more durable and also more easily repaired. (I currently own/use both) The size, shape and add on's, (tool boxes etc.) are dictated by your particular set up and needs. X fer tanks, by definition, are not usually connected to the TV fuel system, they are intended to "transfer" fuel to other vehicles, Aux tanks, OTOH, are hard piped to the vehicle tank.

I bought an "L" shaped X fer tank, sized to fit in a pick up bed and designed to hold a tool box, because the size and price were right, 88 gallons, $100.00, used.

The design of the fuel system on my TV would have made a gravity transfer system slow and ineffective. There are several good options available for later model pickups, even harbor freight sells them. just not an option for me, so I purchased a 12 VDC transfer pump, hose, nozzle etc. and can now manually fill my factory (35 gal.) tank, anyplace I happen to be.

My cruising range is well over 1800 miles between fuel stops, I usually unhook and fuel the TV without dragging the RV thru the pumps. just easier that way and the campground will, usually, know the cheapest price locally.

If your rig is diesel, you need to know how to get it running again, on your own, if you let the tank run dry. (most diesel drivers will only do it ONCE) Sitting on the roadside, feeling helpless and foolish, waiting for an expensive rescue is a powerful educational motivator.

Give us some facts about your rig so the advise can be more specific.

Thanks, Paul

Tags
fuel, tank