Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #1

Extra leaf for Tundra suspension?

Took my new TT in for warranty work and tech saw my TT tipping a little towards the ground and recommended I get an extra leaf for the suspension. He says Tundras have a “soft” rear suspension. Any thoughts?
OburgOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #2

Interesting, did he mention that maybe your WDH should be adjusted?
Did he offer to add the spring for you too?

Sorry to be cynical but there are lots of reasons that could be. You may just need to raise your ball...

In any case there are ways you can stiffen things up without a new leaf... timbrens, SumoSprings to name a couple. Personally I would start with checking your hitch height. Then your WDH. THEN maybe add SumoSprings. A new leaf is pretty far down my list.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
Interesting, did he mention that maybe your WDH should be adjusted?

Did he offer to add the spring for you too?

Sorry to be cynical but there are lots of reasons that could be. You may just need to raise your ball...

In any case there are ways you can stiffen things up without a new leaf... timbrens, SumoSprings to name a couple. Personally I would start with checking your hitch height. Then your WDH. THEN maybe add SumoSprings. A new leaf is pretty far down my list.

X2 I had Sumos on my 2014 Tundra traded it for a 2014 f150 less miles bigger gas tank Platinum 4x4 put Timbren on that because rear was very soft . Have had air cells on last two vehicles
Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

I put an extra leaf on my Silverado and it helped quite a bit. It didn’t make my ride feeling stiffer, just prevented the rear from sagging as much. Another benefit is it’s only $60. That being said I’ve heard good things about sumo springs.
Tatsngats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

I added Firestone air bags easy installation
Old 06-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #6

I have sumo’s on my rear. Does help keep more level when towing and biggest benefit is much less road shock. I have driven I 40 both with and without sumos and can tell the difference with all the road issues not being sent directly up the frame if that makes sense

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #7

I have also used the Timbren! An inexpensive option that works very well.
Jhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Tundra towing

Timbren work great and they do not effect ride w/o load. About $300 and replaces factory bump stops, 45 minute process to change. No more clunk on bumps are railroad crossing.The Tundras do have low payload caps on the CM models.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Coach

So the TT was tipping toward the ground, but no mention of the trucks tail squatting? As stated earlier, you may just need some hitch adjustment.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #10

I agree with others to check things like the angle of your ball and WDH first, but I have a Yukon and the only thing that was going to solve my truck's sag was having a leaf spring added on each side. Since my truck is older, I think the shop also reshaped several of the leaf springs.

I have been absolutely, totally and completely happy with the results. I had no idea my truck could/should sit so high. Further, it has changed my towing in that I do not have nearly as much of the porpoise-ing that was going on when the rear of the truck was sagging/squatting so much. I still get the porpoise feeling sometimes but it is usually only when I'm towing on cement vs. an asphalt surface on the interstate. I'm not constantly feeling like I'm trying to look up and over the hood on my truck either as the hood is level now.

By the way, I tried the other things that have been suggested. Adjusting the ball on the truck, the hitch part of the WDH, you name it, I tried it, but nothing helped until I had the leaves added. And it only took me about 5 years to figure it out! Best money I spent on my truck to improve my towing experience.

Good luck!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #11

I have put Roadmaster Spring Assist to my ‘14 1500 Silverado. I have been super happy with the results. I’m sure they have a product for a Tundra. What I like is the ride doesn’t change without load.

2021 East to West Tandara 320RL
56barelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, tundra