Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #21

According to EZ PASS website: http://www.e-zpassiag.com , EZ PASS will be available in Florida in early spring 2018
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #22

This is the latest loophole. Buy your RV or TT and TV in Montana, create a Montana LLC so you don't pay sales taxes and have lower registration, then ignore all of these electronic tolls and payments. They have no way to collect or suspend registration. I think the Montana LLC is a legit deal to buy a vehicle or trailer, but I wonder what happens sooner or later with thousands of unpaid tolls not attached to an individual? I suppose worst case they could the LLC for the assets it holds, namely the RV, but I think some states prohibit even that.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #23
Enjoying Life

I think both of these articles go a long way in making the case that the saving of a few pennies on tolls could end up costing a whole lot more

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-p...cam-1711216059

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...c0bf7e398.html

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #24

Just be clear, I'm not trying to get out of paying tolls. I just like to convenience of EZPass.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #25

Got a sun pass few years ago because we go to keys a lot two places on FLA pike you must pay cash without sun pass took us 30 min to pay toll also when you get on in fort pierce is always backed up sun pass you breeze right through money well spent
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I understand correctly, not all states charge an annual fee for the EZ-PASS.

Correct, MA does not but NY and NJ does, not sure of other states
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #27

PA has an annual fee of $3.00
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
Another reason I'm lucky to live in NC. I know that our NC QuickPass works with both EZPass and Florida's SunPass systems, nice since I travel up and down the coast several times a year. Found an article from Jan, 2017, with the following statement:
Florida's SunPass, Georgia's Peach Pass, and North Carolina's Quick Pass all recognize each other's transponders at toll booths and gantries. Compatibility with South Carolina toll systems should be in place later this year, Huff said, and Florida is working on deals with Texas, Louisiana, Kansas and Oklahoma.
Turnpike officials say the state is ready to accept E-ZPass, but the 16 E-ZPass states in the Northeast and Midwest are not ready to accept SunPass.

Here's the link to that article: SunPass, E-ZPass compatibility remains in limbo - Sun Sentinel

On a related question, I tow with a Jeep and use the Jeep frequently without the TT (duh, that's the point!). I was wondering how the system would know that we have a trailer behind the transponder that's mounted in the Jeep. What I was told by a seemingly-knowledgeable NC QuickPass person at their main office was to get another transponder registered to the TT plate. The cameras always take a picture to match the transponder to the plate. Since my TT transponder is registered (as a dual-axle trailer) to the same address, they'll be able to figure it all out and charge me for the appropriate number of axles. I have not had a chance to test this out, as our 13-week inaugural trip this year was out west, but next trip is south in January so I might get through some SunPass tolls then. The cynic in me says I'll be billed once for the Jeep and once for the TT plate (no transponder showing for the TT) and I'll spend hours straightening it out, but we'll see.
When you register the SunPass (portable type) you register ALL the tag numbers that the pass may be used in along with the TT tag number. If you have two transponders, one for each vehicle (TV and TT or Toad) you will be billed twice for each pass thru at the toll booth. This is why you register ALL the tag numbers for the one transponder and get billed once for each pass thru. The way the deduction on your transponder's account or the "Bill By Mail" works is with cameras at each toll booth recording the tag number as the vehicles pass thru.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #29

There was an article recently in the Orlando Sentinel saying that the EZ pass will be accepted in the central Florida expressway system....
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
This is the latest loophole. Buy your RV or TT and TV in Montana, create a Montana LLC so you don't pay sales taxes and have lower registration, then ignore all of these electronic tolls and payments. They have no way to collect or suspend registration. I think the Montana LLC is a legit deal to buy a vehicle or trailer, but I wonder what happens sooner or later with thousands of unpaid tolls not attached to an individual? I suppose worst case they could the LLC for the assets it holds, namely the RV, but I think some states prohibit even that.
That is actually an on going battle here in PA. Our turnpike is private (I here the bridge work the same way as the next bit). So they have no authority to suspend a license or anything if you do not pay. The only recourse they have is to sue you. They are working to have this changed so that the tag is revoked for unpaid fines. This is already done for parking tickets here.

We have also been trying to get this changed for traffic tickets as well. If the ticket is issued to a LLC or Inc there is no way to force a fine to be paid (through warrant). If I write an actual person their license is revoked, tag can be revoked, and warrants issued. Not for the corps.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #31

Here is my thought on the whole toll road idea. We all burn enough fuel, in our RV's, to cover OUR share of road use taxes! Those toll road states have expensive fuel, so they are already collecting more tax money! The worst road conditions I've ever traveled, are toll roads! I hate, and will avoid, toll roads whenever possible. Just my opinion. (I feel better now. :-))
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #32

We live in Florida and have noticed that the SunPass signs are being changed to EZ Pass signs on the toll roads we use around the Tampa Bay - Orlando area.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
PA has an annual fee of $3.00
Yep we got our portable transducer at a grocery store while in Hershey.
They just dinged me $3 for this year.

I also just bought the Sunpass stick on transducer which apparently does
not have a yearly fee. Sunpass also has a lower allowed top up $ amount than my PA EzPass.

If the states ever get together and accept each others I will probably cancel the EzPass although I CAN use that one in my car or even loan it to my son as long as I've included the license number in my online account.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #34
Site Team

The discussion on who accepts and who doesn't is real muddy right now.
Sounds like I better make SURE I don't have my Ezpass transducer in my
truck when we head to FL later this winter!!
It would totally suck to get double billed!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #35

The beauty of sunpass is you can buy one sunpass and register all your vehicles to that sunpass...so even if you don't have the transponder in the vehicle, you will be charged the SunPass rate vs the pay by plate rate or cash rate.

I use one sunpass for all my cars, motorcycles, and RV, but the transponder stays in one car for the most part.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #36

Kansas KTAG

The Kansas KTAG works in several midwest states. I was instructed NOT to put a tag on my TOAD as the system would pick it up and charge the proper toll. Once in a while I am charged for the TOAD based on a license photo, but in those cases the TOAD was not charged with the MH. The difference in cost is pennies so we don't worry about it.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
I think both of these articles go a long way in making the case that the saving of a few pennies on tolls could end up costing a whole lot more

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-p...cam-1711216059

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...c0bf7e398.html
This are just what if, maybe someday type cases. I'm telling you your Montana LLC is no different than all these corporations that choose a certain state to call headquarters to get some tax advantage. The license deal is legal in Montana and unless every state wants to violate the constitution and not allow Montana plates on their roads it isn't going anywhere. Delaware has special deals for banks, and Montana has special deals for RVs.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote