Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

EZ Pass and Florida.

I heard that Florida doesn't take EZPass
Has anyone bought their Sunpass for a trip, or do you just let them bill you from the license plate?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Always Learning

Unless I plan on a return trip, I just let other states bill me. Usually takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 90 days for me to receive the bill (sometimes, the bill never comes).

For Florida, I planned on going back a few times and bought their windshield sticker Sunpass.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Can you buy them online?
Can you still drive thru the Sunpass lanes without a Sunpass?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktvaughan View Post
Can you buy them online?
Can you still drive thru the Sunpass lanes without a Sunpass?
Yes, can buy it online:
https://www.sunpass.com/purchase

If I recall correctly (it's been 10 months since we've been in Florida and longer since we were where the tolls were), yes- you can drive through the Sunpass lanes. There aren't gates.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes, can buy it online:
https://www.sunpass.com/purchase

If I recall correctly (it's been 10 months since we've been in Florida and longer since we were where the tolls were), yes- you can drive through the Sunpass lanes. There aren't gates.
If you do not have a Sun Pass you will need to drive through a pay as you go lane. We never drive through the Sun Pass lane with our TT. You will pay by the axle and want to be sure they are charging you correctly. My BIL forgot they had their Sun Pass on the windshield of their tow vehicle and were charged twice for the car.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Another reason I'm lucky to live in NC. I know that our NC QuickPass works with both EZPass and Florida's SunPass systems, nice since I travel up and down the coast several times a year. Found an article from Jan, 2017, with the following statement:
Florida's SunPass, Georgia's Peach Pass, and North Carolina's Quick Pass all recognize each other's transponders at toll booths and gantries. Compatibility with South Carolina toll systems should be in place later this year, Huff said, and Florida is working on deals with Texas, Louisiana, Kansas and Oklahoma.
Turnpike officials say the state is ready to accept E-ZPass, but the 16 E-ZPass states in the Northeast and Midwest are not ready to accept SunPass.

Here's the link to that article: SunPass, E-ZPass compatibility remains in limbo - Sun Sentinel

On a related question, I tow with a Jeep and use the Jeep frequently without the TT (duh, that's the point!). I was wondering how the system would know that we have a trailer behind the transponder that's mounted in the Jeep. What I was told by a seemingly-knowledgeable NC QuickPass person at their main office was to get another transponder registered to the TT plate. The cameras always take a picture to match the transponder to the plate. Since my TT transponder is registered (as a dual-axle trailer) to the same address, they'll be able to figure it all out and charge me for the appropriate number of axles. I have not had a chance to test this out, as our 13-week inaugural trip this year was out west, but next trip is south in January so I might get through some SunPass tolls then. The cynic in me says I'll be billed once for the Jeep and once for the TT plate (no transponder showing for the TT) and I'll spend hours straightening it out, but we'll see.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

I-91 out of Boston removed all their booths .....We never got billed this year for TV & 5er....Maybe because we were Canadians????????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
On a related question, I tow with a Jeep and use the Jeep frequently without the TT (duh, that's the point!). I was wondering how the system would know that we have a trailer behind the transponder that's mounted in the Jeep.
In Maryland, I have the transponder associated with my truck. I always figured there was a count of axles as you drove over the sensors and that's how they figured out to charge you with just the truck or the truck + camper. I've never seen an excessive charge with just the truck.

I've also never gotten a toll-bill or citation when pulling the camper. Big Brother just knows.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
If you do not have a Sun Pass you will need to drive through a pay as you go lane.
When that's an option and you don't have Sunpass, I agree. However, for the unmanned toll booths- just blow on through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We never drive through the Sun Pass lane with our TT. You will pay by the axle and want to be sure they are charging you correctly.
Interesting- I never do. Whenever possible, I use the unmanned booths/lanes. I'll either make a phone call or submit an appeal if I'm ever charged incorrectly. I can say, the times that I have had to call for various reasons- their customer service is friendly and they have always waived any extra fees that I owed.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

We bought a sun pass. If my memory serves me right there is a $3.00 processing fee for mail in. That could add up quick on the east coast of Florida.
delgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

In Florida, the toll is quoted as a fee for two axles. The rate for EACH additional axle is the same price - i.e. a$2 base charge would be $6 for aMH w/toad or my truck witl two axle trailer
Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #12

I have both. EZpass for where it works and SunPass for where it works. So far so good.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #13

I live in Florida and received an email last week, that the CFX (Central Florida Expressway) has joined the EZ-Pass group and by the spring of 2018 will be connected to the other 16 states already using it. I would think an existing EZ-Pass transponder issued in those states would work.

I already have transponders issued by the state of Massachusetts and am hoping they will.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Enjoying Life

I have the portable transponder for the SunPass. It can be used in any vehicle. You just go online and change the plate associated with it and it is updated instantly. We have used it for our TV with TT and it charges the right amount for the # of axles. We also have taken it when we fly to Florida and used it on a rental. Saved the rental toll surcharge and billed the discounted rate. Just had to change the plate to the rental one.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

EZ Pass is no good in Florida. We bought the Sunpass in Florida at Publix. But signed up and put money on the account online. We bought the suction cup transponder. We keep it on the windshield while we winter in Florida. Get cheaper rates for turnpike and the other expressways on the I-95, it works great!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #16

Florida and Georgia reciprocal

Correction:
Florida and Georgia recognize each other's Peach Pass and Sun Pass.

Georgia also recognizes the one from North Carolina.

Not too sure about Sun Pass.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
This will tell you.
https://www.sunpass.com/faq
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...112-story.html

I believe this was covered in other threads, too.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #18

The nice thing about Florida is you can buy a sticker or transponder at just about any gas station or grocery store. I think the stickers are $5 and transponder $10 if I remember correctly. You activate it online.
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
Site Team

I have both Ezpass and sunpass. Ez charges an annual fee. Sunpass doesn't.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I have both Ezpass and sunpass. Ez charges an annual fee. Sunpass doesn't.
If I understand correctly, not all states charge an annual fee for the EZ-PASS.