Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #21

Just over 12 lbs.

2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Thanks. I have the IPhone and was hoping the APP would be available it. I'll keep it in mind because I may go Android soon. Thanks.
Search for DashCommand $49.99
The App Store has it in Iphone and Ipad versions.

I do not have it yet but the reviews look good.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanati View Post
Search for DashCommand $49.99
The App Store has it in Iphone and Ipad versions.

I do not have it yet but the reviews look good.
Thanks for the info

Edit: Just checked it out, all I can say is WOW. That app will tell you everything except the color of underwear you have on
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #24

Hi all, I've been out of town unexpectedly this week and am just getting a chance to get caught up on things. Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you for the additional replies and info. Good stuff!

I was scoping out F-150's during the trip (finally saw an EB at the last gas station today!) and softening up the wife on the idea since I had a captive audience for 2100 miles. I'm thinking 4x4 this time instead of 4x2... Probably stick with the Lariat s-crew... Liking the max-tow package... Need to finish paying off the wife-mobile first, so it'll be a few more months but I think I'm going to go ahead and trade while there's still some equity left in the current F-150.

Droooooooooool................

Also just picked up DashCommand and ordered an ODBII adapter... Not exactly sure how I have lived without all of that cool info!

This is probably going to be the most expensive forum post I have ever started.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Jason
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #25

my Ecoboost isn't getting near the 30 mpg on the highway even at 60 miles per hour and high test gas. I'm getting city mileage with it and its empty.
hauling the 2012 Salem 27RKSS I get about 10 miles to the gallon

Thats a dollar a minute.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
my Ecoboost isn't getting near the 30 mpg on the highway even at 60 miles per hour and high test gas. I'm getting city mileage with it and its empty.
This is to be expected with every manufacture, there are too many variables in building any vehicle. IMHO if everyone here said they got rated mileage all the time I would have to think a lot of them are lying.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #27

Traded in the 2009 5.4 /3.55 supercrew for a 2012 Supercrew with EB, 3.73, hd tow package, I have just over 5000 miles on it. I have been avg. 19 in town and 24 on the highway at 65 mph, 11 mph towing a Rockwood 8317RKSS, The 2009 avg. 14 in town, 20 on the highway at 65 mph and 8 mph with the same trailer. The 2009 did a good job of halling the trailer, but the EB and the 3.73"s make a big differance in towing.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
Traded in the 2009 5.4 /3.55 supercrew for a 2012 Supercrew with EB, 3.73, hd tow package, I have just over 5000 miles on it. I have been avg. 19 in town and 24 on the highway at 65 mph, 11 mph towing a Rockwood 8317RKSS, The 2009 avg. 14 in town, 20 on the highway at 65 mph and 8 mph with the same trailer. The 2009 did a good job of halling the trailer, but the EB and the 3.73"s make a big differance in towing.
Thank you very much for your stats.... Very cool! Numbers aside, if I may ask for more of a "gut feeling", where do you see the "big difference" in towing? I'm new to towing, so I am honestly trying to learn where to set the bar with regards to a "good" experience (and in no way whatsoever doubting anything that anyone here has said!).

With nothing really to compare to, I think my 5.4L tows the Roo "well" up through about 40mph, then falls off relatively quick. By "falls off", I (unscientifically) mean that it is increasingly obvious that there is a trailer in tow. I know that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, and the Roo isn't exactly a refined aerodynamic shape. Not trying to drag race with the Roo in tow, but I guess after all of this, I'm wondering if 60mph + a hill in my 5.4L (4 speed) is going to be a noticeably different (positive) experience in the EB (with the 6 speed trans).

A buddy tows a 32' trailer with a diesel F-250 and he "doesn't even know that it is back there".... I probably won't take (and don't need) the F-250 leap, but guess I am wondering if the EB is at least a moderately noticable step in that direction from the 5.4L. Replies here (by my interpretation) indicate that the answer is "yes", but maybe that is just what I want to hear.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0420 View Post
Thank you very much for your stats.... Very cool! Numbers aside, if I may ask for more of a "gut feeling", where do you see the "big difference" in towing? I'm new to towing, so I am honestly trying to learn where to set the bar with regards to a "good" experience (and in no way whatsoever doubting anything that anyone here has said!).

With nothing really to compare to, I think my 5.4L tows the Roo "well" up through about 40mph, then falls off relatively quick. By "falls off", I (unscientifically) mean that it is increasingly obvious that there is a trailer in tow. I know that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, and the Roo isn't exactly a refined aerodynamic shape. Not trying to drag race with the Roo in tow, but I guess after all of this, I'm wondering if 60mph + a hill in my 5.4L (4 speed) is going to be a noticeably different (positive) experience in the EB (with the 6 speed trans).

A buddy tows a 32' trailer with a diesel F-250 and he "doesn't even know that it is back there".... I probably won't take (and don't need) the F-250 leap, but guess I am wondering if the EB is at least a moderately noticable step in that direction from the 5.4L. Replies here (by my interpretation) indicate that the answer is "yes", but maybe that is just what I want to hear.
So did you purchase an EcoBoost? I traded a 4.6 V8 for my EcoBoost and the towing difference is incredible!!! Granted my 4.6 had less HP & TQ than the 5.4 but even with our lighter trailer (4500lbs), we noticed a huge difference. I can get out and pass on a hill without any worries.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #30

5.4 vs. Ecoboost

We hauled our 9K loaded, LQ horse trailer with our F250, 5.4, 4.10 rear and it was an adventure getting up to speed, winding out the engine on highway entrance ramps and judging the hills so to keep the speed. The 5.4 was designed to rev, so we dealt with it. We saw 14mpg empty truck and 10mpg with loaded trailer. The truck is not intended to be a daily driver.

Downgraded to a 2-horse bumper pull w/dressing room, 7K loaded and F150, ecoboost, 3.73 rear and the difference is incredible. The torque curve and the 6-speed has pulled the loaded trailer up to highway speeds in less than one-third the distance of the old rig. We see 17mpg as a daily stop and go driver and 14mpg with the loaded trailer.

Also, have a 2012 Flagstaff 21FBRS (5K loaded) and the F150 hauls without effort. We see 14-16mpg, hills and flat terrain.

Finally, I observed 23mpg on the highway; 55MPH with no trailer, until my wife took over driving, then down to 20mpg . . . and less.

In summary, the F150 ecoboost, hd towing pkg, could have easilly towed our old rig without issue. I highly recommend the vehicle.