Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Btw if you are looking for a new truck and Good fuel milage check out the dodge Ecodiesel. I'm getting 27mpg on average and folks who tow say they get 15-16mpg.

Btw my class c 32 ft Sunseeker towing my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 7.5 mpg. I stop every 250 miles to fuel up. But it goes fine.
Has anyone tried a wind deflector to improve the air flow and increase gas mileage??? www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-wind-deflector/
I was looking at these online and was curious.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #82

Every vehicle is somewhat different. When these 1st came out they were called bug deflectors and I think that is the purpose. If you can find a video of your vehicle in a wind tunnel with and with out it one it may help. Doubt the manufacture could supply you with one.
2c
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Every vehicle is somewhat different. When these 1st came out they were called bug deflectors and I think that is the purpose. If you can find a video of your vehicle in a wind tunnel with and with out it one it may help. Doubt the manufacture could supply you with one.
2c
It not a bug/hood protector, but a large panel that attaches to the roof of your truck. You can adjust the angle so that deflect the air over the top of the trailer. The big over the road truck have them.Click image for larger version

Name:	aeroshield-wind-deflector.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	107845
AeroShield Wind Deflectors, say up to 3 mph better fuel mileage! Yes, it would also help keep the bugs off the front of your trailer.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
2c
A scam.

As my aerodynamics prof once said:
"behold the submarine; blunt in front and pointy in the rear"
Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
My tires themselves are 3" bigger than the stock tires 285 vs 255 70/r17s.

Styg
there is your problem right there. Not only are larger tires much heavier and take lots more power to get rolling, you killed your gear ratio. Biggest gain in MPG will be putting stock size tires back on.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #86

Major. Blunt? The front of a sub is round, And what is a scam?
Old 05-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #87

gauge readings mean nothing. You need actual gallons used and miles driven. You can't even really figured that as your speedo and odometer is now off. If it turns out you are getting 7-10 miles per gallon, you are getting the same as any other gas truck towing. Depending on your tank size, 200 miles is quite likely your cruising range. You will always be looking for the next gas pump. Another HUGE benefit of diesel is the 50% better fuel economy and larger tank yields a roughly 400 mile cruising range per tank.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #88

[QUOTE=mike.t;1194792]Major. Blunt?[QUOTE]

Blunt = not pointy

Quote:
And what is a scam?
...the whole "wind deflection/control" thaaaang

The aerodynamics of any RV -- of any kind -- is lumpy, bumpy, and lousy.

Virtually all the resistance comes from the suction turbulence at the REAR of the unit, but not obviously realized.

If you REALLY want to decrease drag....either:
a) add a long pointy extension to the rear (a la any aircraft you have seen), or
b) add 90 degree deflectors to the top and side edges to direct air across the rear.....has the added advantage of keeping the windows clean.

Easy/best way: Just know where the "kink" in the resistance curve is and make that your mph sweet spot
Mine is 62 mph.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
It not a bug/hood protector, but a large panel that attaches to the roof of your truck. You can adjust the angle so that deflect the air over the top of the trailer. The big over the road truck have them.Attachment 107845
AeroShield Wind Deflectors, say up to 3 mph better fuel mileage! Yes, it would also help keep the bugs off the front of your trailer.
Apologies. Didn't open the link.

Tags
23ss, hybrid, towing