Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

F-250 6.7L with 2 1/2" Receiver

New (to us) 3/4 ton truck has a 2 1/2" receiver vs. the 2" we had on the F-150.

The WD hitch we used on the 1/2 ton truck is an Equalizer E2 with 2-point sway control and 2" shank.

Not overly impressed with the E2 hitch so we're considering upgrading to the Equalizer 4-point sway control setup. We'll give the E2 a try before deciding.

Question: Do I need a 2 1/2" shank or can I rely on a reducer sleeve insert that adapts the receiver to accept the E2's 2" shank?

Additional info: The truck has a camper package option that includes additional HD front and rear suspension bars. Someone on another forum suggested that with this package, I may not need a WD hitch and instead rely on the truck's anti-sway in Tow/haul mode. (TT max weight is 7200 lbs. loaded out...)

Sure appreciate any advice...

'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #2

I would get the reducer, most have the reducer built in anyway. If you ever get another truck, a 2 1/2 might not fit. I would also USE a WD hitch.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

You still need a wdh as weight distribution is different than sway control. Wdh distributes the tongue weight so that not all of the tongue weight sits on the rear causing a lift on the front end changing how the truck handles. Instead a wdh distributes this weight so you have some tongue weight transferred back to the tt and back onto front end (set it so it is close to unloaded front axle weight but not heavier). Also your hitch has ratings for load bearing (no wdh) and use of wdh. Check your receiver for ratings. Next what is your tt tongue weight? If you haven't measured tongue weight, have you weighed your tt loaded and ready to camp? Figure on an average of 13-15% of loaded tt weight for tongue weight. My tt is 7000 lbs loaded and has a tongue weight of close to 1000 lbs. I still use Reese dual cam for my tt and f250.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

I have a 2012 F-250 and pull a 5th wheel, which, of course, does not require anti-sway devices. While the truck's anti-sway does work nice (can feel it on high wind days), realize it works mostly by applying brakes to individual wheels. If you rely solely on this, I fear it will be insufficient in high wind, and you are going to be replacing your brakes all to frequently. Plus it will totally kill your gas milage as it is like you are driving with your brakes on.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Thanks fellas; good stuff...

I 'll continue using a WD hitch with sway control. Guess it is a matter of staying with the E2 or upgrading to 4-point control.

What I'm hearing is that the 2" reducer sleeve does not negatively impact the design/function of the 2 1/2" receiver? I can save more than $200 by continuing to use the 2" shank and maybe more by using the E2 sway brackets which appear to be the same as those used on the 4-point setup...

For Mathsub: Do you turn the F-250 anti-sway off when towing and rely on the anti-sway hitch setup? Do you turn it off for everyday driving?
'14 nights camped:
Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I think you will also find night and day difference towing with the new TV. Just take your time and set up your equalizer correctly by both measurements and by weighing your set up with and without the tt attached.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #7

I had a similar set with my TV & TT. The factory hitch was 2 1/2 in. I used a sleeve adaptor for at least 7500 miles with no problems. I don't know about Ford, but GM put a less than suitable factory hitch on the truck as part of the heavy duty tow package. I installed an aftermarket hitch with a 2 in. receiver. You might look into how much towing capacity your hitch actually has. The GM factory hitch was only rated for 7500 lbs even though the truck is rated for about twice that. It made a difference that I could feel. The new hitch is much stiffer. You have more than enough truck to tow that trailer.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #8

Good point on the hitch receiver rating. Just checked the book where it states the receiver is rated 14,000 and 1400 max tongue weight with WD hitch.

Without the WD, 8500 and 850 respectively.

I'm thinking the E2 may be OK once I tweak it to the new truck hitch height etc... Hope to hitch up next week for a trial run...
'14 nights camped:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

leave the TSC on, it is a last ditch save your ***** in an emergency if things goes real bad it may just be enough to make a difference. WIthout a trailer tsc does nothing, the truck also has stabiltiy and traction control for normal driving conditions which unless you are stuck somewhere it is best to leave on as well.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

My truck came with the reducer already in it. I don't tow a TT anymore, but do tow a boat and have towed other trailers, and have had no issues with the reducer. I'll be heading to Dallas this weekend to tow home a 66 Chevy Impala SS on a car hauler trailer. Looking forward to that!

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote