Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

F-350 experience

Ok I would like to hear some real world experience with new f-350 power stroke. We are thinking about getting rid of both our trucks mine 06 mega cab cummins, wifes gmc 2500 6.0L. The ford is something we can compramise on. Every one I've talked to seems to like there new ford trucks my only concern is reliability because everyone seems to have 30k miles or less on there truck. My truck has 121k miles and has never let me down so i want to believe the ford will do the same. I would appreciate experience good or bad and love to hear from someone who has high mileage on the 6.7 powerstroke
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

My experience with the 6.7 is limited to just a F550 flatbed tow truck I drive part time. But overall I am impressed with the 2 months I been operating it and logged about 4k miles. The motor does not sound like a diesel unless I have the PTO engaged and idle up. The trans shifts wonderfully loaded and unloaded and the tow/haul mode is great even when running tandem.

So far I have only had to fill the DEF once, but my only complaint would be the fuel tank size for cab and chassis which has a 28 gallon midship rather then the 40 gallon aft axle due to the flatbed deck hydrolics.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

I have only 17k on mine but no problems what so ever. I friend of mine is a Ford diesel mechanic and he claims no major issues. The problems he sees is usually from lack of regular maintenance, contaminated fuel, motors that have been "tuned" and deletes. All the things that would affect all diesels.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Honestly I am a hardcore Dodge fan, more so a Cummins fan! I think the insides of the Ford and Dodges are pretty comparable and both are incredibly nice! Both the Cummins and Powerstroke are great engines.

I honestly don't trust the reliability of any of new motors with all the EPA crap they are putting on them. That being said I HIGHLY recommend deleting all that junk off of whatever you buy. The mega cab you are running currently is pre all that epa junk and to me the holy grail of dodges!

My father has a 2012 that we deleted all the epa crap off of at about 5,000 miles. You can't believe all the soot and crap that thing was blowing back INTO the motor! Not to mention he went from 13 mpg to 18 mpg and still climbing.... (hand calculated and highway)

I don't think you can really go wrong with the new trucks anymore... It's more preference to looks and feel anymore...

Although I feel that the cummins is going to be more reliable due to the fact that it has 2 fewer cylinders = less moving parts as well as a much more simplistic design...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

I am preferable to the dodge myself i have had 4 dodge trucks all of them have been great, But since my wife will be giving up her truck we have to have a truck we both like, chevy is out of the question because with 3 kids and a dog the chevy is to cramped in the rear seat. We both like the ford just wish the motor had been around longer.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

This is a friendly question, how does the above opinion on how Dodge is better than all other makes of trucks answer the OP question of who has a high mileage new F350?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
This is a friendly question, how does the above opinion on how Dodge is better than all other makes of trucks answer the OP question of who has a high mileage new F350?

The biased portion of my opinion towards Dodge has nothing to do with the OP seeking opinions to the new Fords.

My somewhat unbiased comment of not really going wrong with any of the big three diesels was directly related to the OPs direct concern of trading for newer vehicle in general.

My opinion is just that, an opinion.

I have years of experience with some older powerstrokes and a number of cummins as well as many years of towing randomnees. From water tanks, campers, live stock and dead weight.

If anything I said was off topic, out of line or un called for I'd like to say I apologize but I wouldn't really mean it!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

If your referring to my post I am the op and i am not trying to start any kind of arguement about which truck is better. I just prefer dodge from personal experience but ford would be my second choice this is why i'm looking at them. Dodge had plenty of problems in 2007.5 with the 6.7 and emission equip. This is why I'm asking to hear experience with new 6.7 powerstroke would just like to hear if there having any common issues. Its easy to find people with cummins that have over a 100k or a 7.3 powerstroke with over a 100k, but have yet to talk to anyone with high miles on 6.7 powerstroke although i'm sure there out there especially with how many are in the work force. once again i believe all three are good trucks but since my experience is with cummins i'm looking for someones experience with powerstroke
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I don't have much experience with the 6.7 Powerstroke, but what I have experienced so far has been great. I have had absolutely no problems in the 14K miles I have had mine. I did read about some issues with leaking radiators, some tranny issues and minor turbo issues in some of the first 6.7's that came out. I do believe they did some changes in the second half of 2012 and have not heard of these issues happening as much since. I would say that this is the best oil burner Ford has had since the 7.3. I pretty sure I would have not bought a Ford if not for this engine. Would never have bought a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford. Would have been a 5.9 Cummins if I would have had to buy used. If I could find one for sale!!

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorgf View Post
If your referring to my post I am the op and i am not trying to start any kind of arguement about which truck is better. I just prefer dodge from personal experience but ford would be my second choice this is why i'm looking at them. Dodge had plenty of problems in 2007.5 with the 6.7 and emission equip. This is why I'm asking to hear experience with new 6.7 powerstroke would just like to hear if there having any common issues. Its easy to find people with cummins that have over a 100k or a 7.3 powerstroke with over a 100k, but have yet to talk to anyone with high miles on 6.7 powerstroke although i'm sure there out there especially with how many are in the work force. once again i believe all three are good trucks but since my experience is with cummins i'm looking for someones experience with powerstroke
It was directed to avolnek post, I will bow out and not ruffle more feathers.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
It was directed to avolnek post, I will bow out and not ruffle more feathers.
Is your truck long or short box. Lets see some pics.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

Hi Mackman, I have a short bed 4 door white platinum tri coat Lariat with the 20" rims. I am not at my personal computer so no pics.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Hi Mackman, I have a short bed 4 door white platinum tri coat Lariat with the 20" rims. I am not at my personal computer so no pics.
Nice! Mine is a crew cab long box Lariat in silver and gray. I absolutely love this truck. Has all the bells and whistles!!!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #14

Mine is a 2011 F350 dually diesel long bed. Have had zero engine issues in 42,000+ miles. Only issue was a transmission shifting issue that had a service bulletin on and was fixed with no problems.....after I convinced the dealer that it was built in the window of the bulletin.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #15

I was a Die-Hard powerstroke man (5 - 7.3 and 1 - 6.0) until I got my first cummins. Frankly with your 5.9 at only 121K miles I would have to ask - "Why would you want to commit to a $45k+ new truck" when you already have the best rig on the road? BTW you will also probably miss having that Mega Cab space also. And you will not find a more economical truck referring to MPG than the 5.9 cummins motors!
Save the money and keep the 06 dodge - then buy a fun sports car for you and your wife to enjoy for a lot less than a new truck! My 2 cents for what that's worth.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #16

I have a 2013 Lariat, SB, Crew. Sorry, only about 6K miles, all pulling my 5'r. The only problem I have had is a faulty radiator cap. Manifested itself the day I picked up my 5'r, YES THAT DAY. Overheated coming up from 2000 ft to 5000 ft. (hot day as well in Arizona) Stopped to change drivers and all the coolant was on the ground. I only had 750 miles on the truck. FORD had me towed along with the 5r as one unit to my dealer. Seems the radiator cap would not hold the pressure. Cost FORD a pretty penny for a $35.00 part. No problems whatsoever since than but not many miles either. I did purchased an extended warranty. I figured $2300.00 was good for sleeping at night for a 4 year 84,000 mile warranty extension. Figured if anything really ever went wrong I couldn't get FORD to touch it for less than a grand.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
I was a Die-Hard powerstroke man (5 - 7.3 and 1 - 6.0) until I got my first cummins. Frankly with your 5.9 at only 121K miles I would have to ask - "Why would you want to commit to a $45k+ new truck" when you already have the best rig on the road? BTW you will also probably miss having that Mega Cab space also. And you will not find a more economical truck referring to MPG than the 5.9 cummins motors!
Save the money and keep the 06 dodge - then buy a fun sports car for you and your wife to enjoy for a lot less than a new truck! My 2 cents for what that's worth.
The reasoning behind this is my wife's truck is what i like to call a mid life crisis for her(2010 gmc 2500 crew that was upfitted new 6" lift 35 inch tires 20" wheels fender flares push bar ect.) It gets 11 mpg is hard to keep clean since u can't run it through a car wash and is basically a lawn ornimant since it is barley driven so plan is to trade her truck for ford keep caravan we have sell my truck pay off bills and buy a beater car that gets good gas mileage for back and forth to work.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

I work for a heavy equip rental and sales company. I have both the 6.7 liter cummins and the 6.7 liter ford. We have not had a minutes trouble with either. We have high mileage over 100k already. Only real difference we see is the ford has better acceleration with equal load and the ford is quieter. The aisin trans in all of the dodges we have has a shudder when taking off, have taken them back to the dealer and they say there is nothing wrong. They are all still running. We run our trucks at 18,500 to 20,000 lbs so they are not being babied.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

we have a total of 5 new 6.7 fords in my immediate familys tow fleet now...all the way from a first run 2011 {had to have tranny re programed early on but has been flawless since) up to a new f450...we ALL have daily drivers (mine is an 07 bmw 325i) but the trucks get driven 60-70% of the time because well all just like to drive em!! LOL.. we all tow anywhwere from 1000-2500 miles a year and mine is actually the lightest trailer (9klb loaded travel trailer) and the most modified truck....no other problems for any of us, except an alignment issue after i lifted mine....

funny thing is my bro in law kept his beloved dodge, and my father his denali hd.......but come time to slap on trailers and do the deed its the ford everytime.......i think we all kinda agree that out of all our previous tow vehicles and all things considered we get a better experience and towing satisfaction from the ford....mine is NOT a farm truck...i consider it a LUXURY tow pig...

but i digress....as to longevity who knows...ive seen a few hit the lot with 80+k and running fine....this is by leaps and bounds fords best diesel effort in sometime (if EVER)...sure the 6.0s could be built and made into beasts....

im the youngest of my family with the 6.7 (38) and none of us want to BUILD a bulletproof truck, or have to worry about things breaking ....diligent maintenance is priority and expected.....so far so good...our first ford was purchased in oct of 2010 and has been the benchmark of what we all expect...it tows a 12k ish 5er.....and serves as daily driver too....

in all honesty i have beat on mine a little....it is tuned but not deleted....its been to the track for giggles n just to see how slow it was...LOL.its lifted with 35s and gets taken off road fairly often carries heavy junk in the bed and tows about 2000 miles a year with the travel trailer.....it also is daily driven, many times under 10 miles one way....will it make it to 200k? who knows? time will tell and if it cannot then i will look for something else if and when that time comes....till then ive had mine over 2 yrs and its good as new save for a few dings and doors of normal truck life......remote start , heated seats, rear entertainment system.....this truck was not built to be a work truck....its like a bmw appointed tank.....and i love it ....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #20

Thanks for all the responses we found a truck we both liked kodiak brown f-350 platinum but the numbers are way to far off for it to benefit us like i hoped it would. So it looks like my wife will keep her toy and I guess i will be aiming for the million mile club. Thanks again.

Tags
f-350