Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

F-350 experience

Ok I would like to hear some real world experience with new f-350 power stroke. We are thinking about getting rid of both our trucks mine 06 mega cab cummins, wifes gmc 2500 6.0L. The ford is something we can compramise on. Every one I've talked to seems to like there new ford trucks my only concern is reliability because everyone seems to have 30k miles or less on there truck. My truck has 121k miles and has never let me down so i want to believe the ford will do the same. I would appreciate experience good or bad and love to hear from someone who has high mileage on the 6.7 powerstroke

Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

My experience with the 6.7 is limited to just a F550 flatbed tow truck I drive part time. But overall I am impressed with the 2 months I been operating it and logged about 4k miles. The motor does not sound like a diesel unless I have the PTO engaged and idle up. The trans shifts wonderfully loaded and unloaded and the tow/haul mode is great even when running tandem.

So far I have only had to fill the DEF once, but my only complaint would be the fuel tank size for cab and chassis which has a 28 gallon midship rather then the 40 gallon aft axle due to the flatbed deck hydrolics.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

I have only 17k on mine but no problems what so ever. I friend of mine is a Ford diesel mechanic and he claims no major issues. The problems he sees is usually from lack of regular maintenance, contaminated fuel, motors that have been "tuned" and deletes. All the things that would affect all diesels.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Honestly I am a hardcore Dodge fan, more so a Cummins fan! I think the insides of the Ford and Dodges are pretty comparable and both are incredibly nice! Both the Cummins and Powerstroke are great engines.

I honestly don't trust the reliability of any of new motors with all the EPA crap they are putting on them. That being said I HIGHLY recommend deleting all that junk off of whatever you buy. The mega cab you are running currently is pre all that epa junk and to me the holy grail of dodges!

My father has a 2012 that we deleted all the epa crap off of at about 5,000 miles. You can't believe all the soot and crap that thing was blowing back INTO the motor! Not to mention he went from 13 mpg to 18 mpg and still climbing.... (hand calculated and highway)

I don't think you can really go wrong with the new trucks anymore... It's more preference to looks and feel anymore...

Although I feel that the cummins is going to be more reliable due to the fact that it has 2 fewer cylinders = less moving parts as well as a much more simplistic design...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

I am preferable to the dodge myself i have had 4 dodge trucks all of them have been great, But since my wife will be giving up her truck we have to have a truck we both like, chevy is out of the question because with 3 kids and a dog the chevy is to cramped in the rear seat. We both like the ford just wish the motor had been around longer.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

This is a friendly question, how does the above opinion on how Dodge is better than all other makes of trucks answer the OP question of who has a high mileage new F350?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
This is a friendly question, how does the above opinion on how Dodge is better than all other makes of trucks answer the OP question of who has a high mileage new F350?

The biased portion of my opinion towards Dodge has nothing to do with the OP seeking opinions to the new Fords.

My somewhat unbiased comment of not really going wrong with any of the big three diesels was directly related to the OPs direct concern of trading for newer vehicle in general.

My opinion is just that, an opinion.

I have years of experience with some older powerstrokes and a number of cummins as well as many years of towing randomnees. From water tanks, campers, live stock and dead weight.

If anything I said was off topic, out of line or un called for I'd like to say I apologize but I wouldn't really mean it!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

If your referring to my post I am the op and i am not trying to start any kind of arguement about which truck is better. I just prefer dodge from personal experience but ford would be my second choice this is why i'm looking at them. Dodge had plenty of problems in 2007.5 with the 6.7 and emission equip. This is why I'm asking to hear experience with new 6.7 powerstroke would just like to hear if there having any common issues. Its easy to find people with cummins that have over a 100k or a 7.3 powerstroke with over a 100k, but have yet to talk to anyone with high miles on 6.7 powerstroke although i'm sure there out there especially with how many are in the work force. once again i believe all three are good trucks but since my experience is with cummins i'm looking for someones experience with powerstroke
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I don't have much experience with the 6.7 Powerstroke, but what I have experienced so far has been great. I have had absolutely no problems in the 14K miles I have had mine. I did read about some issues with leaking radiators, some tranny issues and minor turbo issues in some of the first 6.7's that came out. I do believe they did some changes in the second half of 2012 and have not heard of these issues happening as much since. I would say that this is the best oil burner Ford has had since the 7.3. I pretty sure I would have not bought a Ford if not for this engine. Would never have bought a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford. Would have been a 5.9 Cummins if I would have had to buy used. If I could find one for sale!!

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorgf View Post
If your referring to my post I am the op and i am not trying to start any kind of arguement about which truck is better. I just prefer dodge from personal experience but ford would be my second choice this is why i'm looking at them. Dodge had plenty of problems in 2007.5 with the 6.7 and emission equip. This is why I'm asking to hear experience with new 6.7 powerstroke would just like to hear if there having any common issues. Its easy to find people with cummins that have over a 100k or a 7.3 powerstroke with over a 100k, but have yet to talk to anyone with high miles on 6.7 powerstroke although i'm sure there out there especially with how many are in the work force. once again i believe all three are good trucks but since my experience is with cummins i'm looking for someones experience with powerstroke
It was directed to avolnek post, I will bow out and not ruffle more feathers.

Tags
f-350