Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ags81 View Post
The turbos don't even kick-in that much.
Actually you just don't hear the turbos kicking in unless you are making max boost. In reality, the EB turbos are almost always spooling. I run an Aeroforce gauge that monitors boost and even under light acceleration the turbos are making boost - around 4 psi. I can guarantee that the turbos are spooling almost always while towing, except for maybe a downhill coast, and even then they spool a little for back pressure.
__________________

__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Actually you just don't hear the turbos kicking in unless you are making max boost. In reality, the EB turbos are almost always spooling. I run an Aeroforce gauge that monitors boost and even under light acceleration the turbos are making boost - around 4 psi. I can guarantee that the turbos are spooling almost always while towing, except for maybe a downhill coast, and even then they spool a little for back pressure.
Out of curiosity what is max boost for a eb?

What is boost at 65 no load driving down the interstate?



Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Out of curiosity what is max boost for a eb?

What is boost at 65 no load driving down the interstate?



Turbs

Turbs, I have heard that the limit on an EB is around 21 psi before failure. The stock boost is about 13-14. My tune provides almost 18 at WOT but only for a second. With no load at 65 mph I still see about 1 psi of boost.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Turbs, I have heard that the limit on an EB is around 21 psi before failure. The stock boost is about 13-14. My tune provides almost 18 at WOT but only for a second. With no load at 65 mph I still see about 1 psi of boost.
Sounds good.

Was just curious how much there boosting it.

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #45
Member
 
phrogpilot73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Too late now, but you could have gone with the 3.55 gears and had no problems with a trailer that weight. I had a 97 F250 with the 7.3 and feel that the EB with 3.55's does just as good a job. My 7.3 was a 5 speed manual, also. I think I'd much prefer the EB with the six speed tranny to a 7.3 with an old 4 speed auto.
The used ones we kept looking at (Super Crew 4x4) could only tow 7300 with the options it had on it. We like to have a 15-20% margin between max towing capacity and our trailer's max gross (I always err on the side of probably too much caution) so we were hoping to find one with the max tow/max payload and the 3.73, which would have gotten us to 11,200...

All in all - the difference between the $9500 we spent on the F-250 and what we would have spent for the used EB is going to pay for our Pioneer AppRadio, Banks Power upgrades, and they guy we bought it from included his fifth wheel hitch too!

I still really like the EB, and we may very far in the future, order one new with our specs...
__________________
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
The used ones we kept looking at (Super Crew 4x4) could only tow 7300 with the options it had on it. We like to have a 15-20% margin between max towing capacity and our trailer's max gross (I always err on the side of probably too much caution) so we were hoping to find one with the max tow/max payload and the 3.73, which would have gotten us to 11,200...

All in all - the difference between the $9500 we spent on the F-250 and what we would have spent for the used EB is going to pay for our Pioneer AppRadio, Banks Power upgrades, and they guy we bought it from included his fifth wheel hitch too!

I still really like the EB, and we may very far in the future, order one new with our specs...
You must have come across lot's of 3.31 ratio trucks. Max Tow and HD Payload are not easy to find.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3l. 3.42 ratio. 35' TT. 6800# dry. Have been very satisfied with power. I've been running on flat to slightly rolling hills. However, fairly significant suck and blow on interstate with Blue Ox hitch. 9 mpg at 60 mph
__________________
Eltonnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
LTnTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 187
I have a 31' 5th wheel with dry weight of 7700 and pin weight just over 1100 lbs. I figure I'm towing 8500 lbs and with a rear kitchen, I doubt that the pin weight has increased much. I've pulled almost 2000 miles in the last 4 months from Charleston SC to the east TN mountains to the Virginia mountains last week. My truck has the 3.55 gear and has had absolutely no issue while towing this rig. It is tuned to run really well at interstate speeds without a lot of shifting. In Virginia only the switchbacks limited my speed, not horsepower.
__________________
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #49
fx2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
I have a 31' 5th wheel with dry weight of 7700 and pin weight just over 1100 lbs. I figure I'm towing 8500 lbs and with a rear kitchen, I doubt that the pin weight has increased much. I've pulled almost 2000 miles in the last 4 months from Charleston SC to the east TN mountains to the Virginia mountains last week. My truck has the 3.55 gear and has had absolutely no issue while towing this rig. It is tuned to run really well at interstate speeds without a lot of shifting. In Virginia only the switchbacks limited my speed, not horsepower.

OP - as you can see a lot of people have very good things to say about the EB towing. My overall experience towing with mine was positive. My overall experience with Ford Corporate and them honoring their warranty is the reason I'll never buy a Ford product again. My truck made it to 28k miles before having severe problems, others have made it 4 times that with no issues.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL4x4 Cummins
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 22
I have a 2013 f150 eco boost. Pull a 2014 8528IKWS. Added "Supersprings" because the rear end was mushy. Total weight fully loaded on the 5th wheel is 8720. Tow capacity on the F150, according to Ford's towing guide is 10,200. I have had zero problems. Plenty of power. Pulled all over TX,AZ,NM,UT,SD,IL and a few others. Average MPG loaded is 10-12. No load, 18-20. Great rig for our needs. Have pulled with a F350 Duelly Diesel. Like the duelly stability but don't need that big of as rig for this camper. I'd get another Eco. Check out SuperSprings. They really made a big difference in handling.
__________________

__________________
sdfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecoboost, f150

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.