Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 79
Didn't have some kind of Texas Park Pass, so it was like $35 per night (inc sewer) plus a $5 per day entrance fee to the park. Would rather find a good Corp of engineer park for less.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
How 'bout them Cowboys!
2015 Rockwood 2104S
2013 F150 4x4 EcoPuller
okiecowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist
 
Radio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,713
In the distant past when I bought my last new truck... my 07 F-150 came with 255/70 R17 all the way around, including the spare. But that spare rim is plain steel, and a bit ugly, not a fancy aluminum wheel like the others.

When I went to load range E 235/75R17 I put Michelins on the ground and I don't even know what brand same size spare (not an "E") is under there. Saved over $100.
__________________

__________________
KU4OJ
Admin at www.openroadsradio.net, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Iowa
Posts: 639
My new 2012 F150 came with 4 cheap tires IMHO. All four at different intervals suffered broken belts. After the first one I bought warranties at discount tire. I replaced the remaining four under warranty for $25 a pop until I finally gave up and got a nice set of LT Mich. tires. I never had a set of matched tires on the truck except for when I first bought it and now.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2018 Ford F250
2019 Arctic Wolf F295QSL8
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
My new 2012 F150 came with 4 cheap tires IMHO. All four at different intervals suffered broken belts. After the first one I bought warranties at discount tire. I replaced the remaining four under warranty for $25 a pop until I finally gave up and got a nice set of LT Mich. tires. I never had a set of matched tires on the truck except for when I first bought it and now.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Didn't Ford stand behind the tire warranty? They say they sell tires now a days so I figured.....


Belt separations are not caused by road hazzard. Most likely would be manufacturing defect.

Did you also file complaints with NHTSA? Pretty unusual for all 4 to have belt separations. For you to have a 100% failure rate would suggest that Ford had a bad batch which should have triggered a recall, assuming the owners made the effort to file complaints.

Do you have the DOT serial of the bad tires? That way we could look up which tire plant made the bad tires.
__________________
.
Write a blog on RV tire application 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling) in Elkhart May 17-19, Allegan MI June 6-9, & Gillette WY July 18-21 RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Iowa
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Didn't Ford stand behind the tire warranty? They say they sell tires now a days so I figured.....


Belt separations are not caused by road hazzard. Most likely would be manufacturing defect.

Did you also file complaints with NHTSA? Pretty unusual for all 4 to have belt separations. For you to have a 100% failure rate would suggest that Ford had a bad batch which should have triggered a recall, assuming the owners made the effort to file complaints.

Do you have the DOT serial of the bad tires? That way we could look up which tire plant made the bad tires.

Discount tire said similar about being a bad batch. I never had any issues with the spare. I had to use it for a year and some change and it worked good for me. When I spoke to the dealer they wouldn't help me.

I didn't know to report it but maybe discount tire recorded it. I can inquire as well as check my paperwork. I know now what to do having snooped through this forum for so long.




Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2018 Ford F250
2019 Arctic Wolf F295QSL8
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mowgli64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 238
It may be that the 18" tire was the original factory size and the dealer put on the 20". My 2013 F150 has the 18" all around.
__________________
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 271RBXL
2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Discount tire said similar about being a bad batch. I never had any issues with the spare. I had to use it for a year and some change and it worked good for me. When I spoke to the dealer they wouldn't help me.

I didn't know to report it but maybe discount tire recorded it. I can inquire as well as check my paperwork. I know now what to do having snooped through this forum for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Here is link to NHTSA complaint form.

You need the VIN and tire DOT serial (which you should have in your permanent file as that number is what is used for any recall. In your complaint I would provide the name of the Ford dealer that refused to adjust the tire.
__________________
.
Write a blog on RV tire application 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling) in Elkhart May 17-19, Allegan MI June 6-9, & Gillette WY July 18-21 RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 333
My 2015 Ram came with a donut spare the same diameter as the 20" tires (33").

I know it has the same or better load rating as the road tires, but much skinnier and temporary tire tread. I would not be too comfortable using it with the trailer in tow, but I guess it would get me to a tire place a short distance away, at reduced speed.

Before I bought our TT I found a 20" steel spare from a 2012 ram 1500 on craigslist with the same tires as I had on the ground (Goodyear SRA 275/60/20) for $50.

Now that I have switched to OEM 17" wheels with Load E tires 285/70/17 (33"), I went back to the donut and sold the 20" spare.

Being a steel 20" with full size tire, it weighed close to 100 lbs. Got some payload back with the donut! lol
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS Equalizer 4pt 10k
2018 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4 3.92 LSD
2017 Ram 1500 CC 3.6L 4x2 3.55
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
My 2015 Ram came with a donut spare the same diameter as the 20" tires (33").

I know it has the same or better load rating as the road tires, but much skinnier and temporary tire tread. I would not be too comfortable using it with the trailer in tow, but I guess it would get me to a tire place a short distance away, at reduced speed.

Before I bought our TT I found a 20" steel spare from a 2012 ram 1500 on craigslist with the same tires as I had on the ground (Goodyear SRA 275/60/20) for $50.

Now that I have switched to OEM 17" wheels with Load E tires 285/70/17 (33"), I went back to the donut and sold the 20" spare.

Being a steel 20" with full size tire, it weighed close to 100 lbs. Got some payload back with the donut! lol

Now you see one reason why companies select a high pressure, light weight spare.

Yes I did design some of them during my career.
__________________
.
Write a blog on RV tire application 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling) in Elkhart May 17-19, Allegan MI June 6-9, & Gillette WY July 18-21 RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Iowa
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Here is link to NHTSA complaint form.

You need the VIN and tire DOT serial (which you should have in your permanent file as that number is what is used for any recall. In your complaint I would provide the name of the Ford dealer that refused to adjust the tire.

Thank-you. I'll check my paperwork and fill it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2018 Ford F250
2019 Arctic Wolf F295QSL8
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f150, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.