Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 710
Having fun camping and safety are both important, but some of this is laughable. I agree with those that are more worried about the distracted, speeding and just plain horrible drivers out there being much more of a menace.

There is just a LOT of conclusion jumping here. The OP stated he has all the packages for towing and payload. That might mean he has an H/D payload equipped F150 and should change the conversation, but he doesn't really say. He does say it is a Supercab which means he has more available payload than a Supercrew. As for if his truck is overweight or not, no one can tell from the information provided.


The 5er he listed has a GVWR lower than what he estimated his loaded weight, so I will just hope he is off on that one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	29mks.png
Views:	80
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	84840


Either way if he is camped next to me, I would offer him a beer and discuss his rig.
__________________

__________________
madmaxmutt is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Just a hunch but I bet RVdixie won't post any response. He's the typical no it all and has no intentions of weighing his setup. He'll do whatever he wants and say it's fine. He's the current definition of "It's all about me". I really find it interesting that he knows what his 5er weighs loaded up but has no clue what the pin weight is or how much weight he's putting on the rear axle. I'd also like to know what the heck he's putting in his 5er to get it 110lbs over the rated GVW. That 5er comes with a 2700lb (per brochure) cargo capacity. I load the crud out of mine and have 1500lbs in it. I don't full time so that's packing all I'd need for a weekend or even 1-2 week trip. I think RVdixie is just flat out full of BS.

I can't speak for RVdixie but I have no intention of ever weighing my rig, I could care less what the pin weight is or how much I'm pulling or what the total weight is. If DOT makes rules for how much weight I can scale then I might listen, until then no weighing truck and camper. Oh yes I like beer too but should we meet at a campground weight is one thing I do not talk about


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I can't speak for RVdixie but I have no intention of ever weighing my rig, I could care less what the pin weight is or how much I'm pulling or what the total weight is. If DOT makes rules for how much weight I can scale then I might listen, until then no weighing truck and camper. Oh yes I like beer too but should we meet at a campground weight is one thing I do not talk about


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Heck yeah, I have a truck so I can tow anything. That's the attitude I'm talking about. Who needs common sense. Just hitch up to that big ole truck and head down the road. All will be good. I got a truck. Hey if I had a diesel I could really tow something big.
__________________
goduc is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
F150 Towing Capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I guess you never even go 1 mile over the speed limit and always come to a complete stop at stop signs no matter if nothing is coming. My camper will never see a scale, I think it's a waste of time to weigh my camper, my 3500 Silverado can pull it and have no problems, besides a camper is not a commercial truck, not a fifth wheel anyway. When I drove a semi I dodged all the scales and ran two log books and was overloaded most of the time but I was careful and never had a accident. The problem is there too many people that think the truck and camper is a commercial semi, at least on these forums. I do think most rv's that I see on the road think they are a semi because when I'm going 63mph they pass me like I'm stopped. Most rv's have st tires that are only supposed to be run at no more than 65 but most do. There are no standards for what you can pull, so a insurance company would have a hard time getting out of a claim.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

You completely missed my point! I am not comparing commercial vehicles to RV's. But, good for you for giving us a bad name!!! Thanks!!! What I was trying to get at is weight capacities of my truck. The steer axle is rated for 12,500 lbs. I could easily get it up to 20k if I was hauling alfalfa. 99% of the people on the road would never know that I was exceeding the limit of my axle by 7,500 lbs. But like I said earlier, I prefer to run legal AND safe. And yes, know there are laws for weight of a commercial vehicle and NO law for an RV weight. I also know that an insurance company must cover you even though you were being negligent. And your examples of going 1 mph over the speed limits or rolling through a stop sign are poor. 1 mph is not going to make a difference if you are within your vehicles ratings. 15% over weight, however WILL.

And are you saying those RVer's shouldn't be going over 65? Huh! That sounds a little hypocritical doesn't it? I mean it's there vehicle, not yours, right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
No way you could even come close to moving that rig down the road with a Ford Ranger. First time you tried to take off from a dead stop on an uphill incline you'd be done.

I had a Ford Ranger that I used to haul 10k lbs of hay out of the fields with. I never got out on the road, and never got to 55 mph, but it did it! It would even pull it up some steep hills on our property taking off from a dead stop on grass. So, YES, it CAN do it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
How many accidents have you encountered from an overloaded TT or FW? You've got much bigger worries with all of the teenagers and distracted drivers(texting, on Facebook, etc.) out there on the road. And don't forget drunks and the elderly- not all, but many.

I could go all day quoting you people! I live about 55 miles from the Oregon Coast and sand dunes. Every summer HWY 6 gets shut down 3-4 times for RV's getting totaled out. And most of the time it's a Tahoe or Expedition towing a Toy Hauler. Hwy 6 follows the Wilson River all the way to the coast and is a hot spot for people to go swimming and fishing. You just never know when you are going to come around a corner and find a group of 16 year olds dashing across the road. Pretty hard to panic stop when you are over weight! And the examples you gave are the same as towing over weight....NEGLIGENT!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I could go all day quoting you people! I live about 55 miles from the Oregon Coast and sand dunes. Every summer HWY 6 gets shut down 3-4 times for RV's getting totaled out. And most of the time it's a Tahoe or Expedition towing a Toy Hauler. Hwy 6 follows the Wilson River all the way to the coast and is a hot spot for people to go swimming and fishing. You just never know when you are going to come around a corner and find a group of 16 year olds dashing across the road. Pretty hard to panic stop when you are over weight! And the examples you gave are the same as towing over weight....NEGLIGENT!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too much common sense displayed here.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Too much common sense displayed here.

Bruce
Except common sense would dictate finding out the true TV capabilities before flying off the deep end.
__________________
madmaxmutt is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
F-150 capabilities

Hi all, just thought I would chime in here on this subject. I am a Ford sales rep. and I have done a lot of research into the towing capabilities of the F 150. I am going to up grade from my 2014 Escape 2.0L ecoboost. Which by the way tows a 3200 lb. Clipper just fine and gets 14 mpg doing it. The F 150 when properly equipped with the HD payload pkg and max tow can pull the weight with no problem. It is rated by the factory to do just that. I had watched the you tube videos and read everything you all are saying about it. Your are just fine with that truck so roll on. I will however be getting the f 250 6.7 diesel for the fuel economy. It does get better mileage then the f 159 pulling. and that 880 lbs ft of torque is unreal. Just have fun with your truck and be confident that is will do the job.
__________________
rgouge is offline  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
You completely missed my point! I am not comparing commercial vehicles to RV's. But, good for you for giving us a bad name!!! Thanks!!! What I was trying to get at is weight capacities of my truck. The steer axle is rated for 12,500 lbs. I could easily get it up to 20k if I was hauling alfalfa. 99% of the people on the road would never know that I was exceeding the limit of my axle by 7,500 lbs. But like I said earlier, I prefer to run legal AND safe. And yes, know there are laws for weight of a commercial vehicle and NO law for an RV weight. I also know that an insurance company must cover you even though you were being negligent. And your examples of going 1 mph over the speed limits or rolling through a stop sign are poor. 1 mph is not going to make a difference if you are within your vehicles ratings. 15% over weight, however WILL.

And are you saying those RVer's shouldn't be going over 65? Huh! That sounds a little hypocritical doesn't it? I mean it's there vehicle, not yours, right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure sounds like you are comparing rv's to commercial rigs and I could care less about what I weigh or anyone else or how much you speed. I just think it's stupid to worry about my weight or anyone else weight. But if anything is brought up and it had anything to do at all with a truck you can always look for the weight police to chime in. I think most people that camp could care less about what there rig weighs. My son drives a commercial truck and we talk all the time and guess what we don't talk about, WEIGHT!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
f150, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.