Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #41

There are a lot of Pullrites out there, including mine. I hope your's was an isolated incident. I have perhaps 20,000 miles and countless hitchings on mine without any issues. I have used many cans of WD-40 to keep it well lubricated.
Sorry you had a scary incident. I sure hope everything is good now and you get years of trouble free service from the new unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat369 View Post
Here is what happened to my hitch.
PullRite problem
Good luck hope it works out for you.
Thank you for that! I went and checked the welds on my capture plate.
I can see how having that come loose (broken weld in your case), it would damage the hitch head.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #43

We moved again this afternoon and all went well with the hitch.

I noticed and my wife did too, this replacement hitch acts and sounds completely different than the failed hitch. We're thinking some was wrong with it from the beginning.

I have not looked at the failed hitch too much, but need to box it up and send back to manufacturer. The entire hitch is locked-up, too much tension on the release bar spring to allow removal of the release bar. Can't package it with the release bar sticking out a foot.

Since we will be here at this state park, will look at it again tomorrow and see if I can figure out the issue. Yes, I hope this is a one time incident.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LT 3500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #44

I seem to recall another post about a Pullrite Hitch head problem here or on another RV forum, but I don't recall which model. I had a PR 12k auto slider for my previous FW and I considered ita great hitch from a great company.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #45
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have only had one problem with my Pullright.....the thrust plate flange bent back toward cab pulling the thrust adjuster up at a 30 degree angle....found it after stopping for night in Flagstaff....bent it back into position, and added a bolt into each rail, using the head of bolt as a stop.....no problem since

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #46

I'm sure Pullrite has a good product and this an isolated incident.

I just moved mine from the back of the pickup to the outside storage compartment of the trailer, looking it over. Nothing wrong is obvious to me, except for it being stuck.

Will send it back to manufacturer soon.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LT 3500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #47

I have the experience of a high hitch on my first trip with my new 5th wheel and new truck. I thought I was hitched when I pulled out of a site and had the scary thud of the trailer landing on the truck. No damage to the trailer but the bed of the truck didn't look so good. Anyway I found that a Bed Saver by Blue Ox was very cheap insurance for something like that again. And I found out how it works but that's another story. I just googled Blue Ox and found that they are still around and going strong. Another thing I did for insurance was to paint the jaws on my hitch white. It helps.

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #48

I'm very Glad that the Lord protected you and your family! I'm also sorry for what happened and what you had to go through to get it resolved, or should I say what you got resolved so far. It was asked earlier in the Posts, but being new and ignorant to some things, I have a clue what HIGH HITCHING might mean, but would love to have it explained. Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #49

When hitching up and backing into the trailer hitch you can sometimes hit the top edge of the hitch head and the jaws will clamp shut under the trailer hitch. The trailer hitch then will set on top of the jaws instead of in the jaws. So when you pull out you drop the trailer on the truck bed. Then you say a bunch of bad words either out loud or to yourself and want to cry! Guess how I know?

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #50

High hitching is when your king pin on the trailer dose not lock in the jaws of the hitch but sits on top of the locking mechanism and not locked in by the jaws or bar so that when you pull on the trailer the king pin will slide out and trailer will fall.

tugboat369 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, led, wheel