Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Brigitte

ok, so after work, I set out with the measure tape and a torque wrench
I measured from the center of the ball coupler on TT to the middle of the bolt on cam and it is 19 inches. I see Reese write 18.5 online instructions and wrote 20 in the paperwork I got, so 19 sounds fair. I then checked torque on the side that is still attached firmly and it's only 30 lbs per foot and then tried the loose side and doesn't feel stripped at all. I feel grip when tightening. I left it at that as it is dark and cold out there, I 'll torque it all up tomorrow morning and leave it be until next spring. I'll test is out and see. I now suspect the guys at the shop where I purchased the WD probably didn't torque it.
I stopped by yesterday to tell the guy what happened and in the conversation, I asked about what torque it should be at and he said, well, just give it a good tight turn and then a half and it should be pretty good. That kind of gave me a hint about torque lol
The rest of the set up looks pretty good other than I will change the spring bars, they are only 800 lbs and my tongue weight is higher than that. the dealer says it's ok, but I think I know better from what I read here, going to change them for 1200 lbs and adjust the cam arm myself! Been reading do the cam arm big bolt on bottom need to be torqued?

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
I
What happened was because I didn't re-adjust, the new truck sat at a slightly different rake, causing my spring bars and subsequently, my cam arms to be too close to the ground.
The bars are not to close to the ground and there is lots of clearance between the cam arms and spring bars so they do not rub on turns.

Timbrens
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Tough to tell. In the first pic the bolts are silver, but yours are gold. I think mine are silver, I just can't say 100% right now that they are. After looking at other member setups I don't think the color matters.

After looking at the first pic you posted I think the installer stripped the hole by over-torquing the bolt.

I'm wondering if the installer actually tightened the bolt on yours completely. Did you ever check the bolts for tightness before finding this one? Were all the bolts loose, or just the one? Is the hole stripped? When I was a Helicopter mechanic everything was safety wired or had self-locking nuts because the #1 reason a bolt will loosen is due to vibration and helos vibrate like crazy. I can't imagine the trailer tongue vibrating enough to break the torque on the bolts. Of course I've been wrong before
I now think the dealer probably didn't torque the bolts. I went out tonight and checked the one side that isn't loose and there's only about 30 pound per foot on it sooo i tried the other side and it didn't feel stripped.
the craziness I could have saved myself by just checking torque before asking here, but here is where I learned about torque
I'll torque them all to 50 tomorrow and test it later on.
Timbrens
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #24
Brigitte

Quote:
Tough to tell. In the first pic the bolts are silver, but yours are gold. I think mine are silver, I just can't say 100% right now that they are. After looking at other member setups I don't think the color matters.

After looking at the first pic you posted I think the installer stripped the hole by over-torquing the bolt.

I'm wondering if the installer actually tightened the bolt on yours completely. Did you ever check the bolts for tightness before finding this one? Were all the bolts loose, or just the one? Is the hole stripped? When I was a Helicopter mechanic everything was safety wired or had self-locking nuts because the #1 reason a bolt will loosen is due to vibration and helos vibrate like crazy. I can't imagine the trailer tongue vibrating enough to break the torque on the bolts. Of course I've been wrong before
So if the bolts weren't torqued to 50 does that mean that they could get loose? what makes then not get loosed after proper torquing?
Timbrens
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #25

I would hold off on changing bars. I don't think you'll need 1200 lb bars on a 21 foot TT.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
I now think the dealer probably didn't torque the bolts. I went out tonight and checked the one side that isn't loose and there's only about 30 pound per foot on it sooo i tried the other side and it didn't feel stripped.
the craziness I could have saved myself by just checking torque before asking here, but here is where I learned about torque
I'll torque them all to 50 tomorrow and test it later on.
You really have to watch what the dealer does sometimes. It's not just RV dealers that provide substandard service though. I trust very few businesses to work on stuff anymore. I always double check their work now.

You took the right step by checking the torque on all of them. Make sure they're torqued to 50 and recheck after your next couple trips. An easy way to tell without a torque wrench is to apply "torque seal". This is an actual product that is used on aircraft to detect if a bolt or nut has lost torque. It's like a small tube of cake decoration frosting that you apply a line across the bolt onto the surface it's attached to. There are a number of items around the house you can use to do the same thing. You can take finger nail polish, a paint pen or liguid white out to paint a line from the bolt to the surface it's mounted too. Any break in the line shows the bolt has lost torque. If the bolts break torque again I would apply some locktite and try it again. Like F1100turbo said though, sometimes the metal just isn't thick enough to maintain the torque.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I would hold off on changing bars. I don't think you'll need 1200 lb bars on a 21 foot TT.
The TW as rated by Shasta is 750 lbs, add 2 X 30 lbs propane, battery, that puts me at over 800 lbs already.
I have been hesitant because the the weight is being distributed pretty well on the TV but read that if my TW surpasses the 800 lbs bars I should go to the next size up
Timbrens
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Brigitte

Quote:
You really have to watch what the dealer does sometimes. It's not just RV dealers that provide substandard service though. I trust very few businesses to work on stuff anymore. I always double check their work now.

You took the right step by checking the torque on all of them. Make sure they're torqued to 50 and recheck after your next couple trips. An easy way to tell without a torque wrench is to apply "torque seal". This is an actual product that is used on aircraft to detect if a bolt or nut has lost torque. It's like a small tube of cake decoration frosting that you apply a line across the bolt onto the surface it's attached to. There are a number of items around the house you can use to do the same thing. You can take finger nail polish, a paint pen or liguid white out to paint a line from the bolt to the surface it's mounted too. Any break in the line shows the bolt has lost torque. If the bolts break torque again I would apply some locktite and try it again. Like F1100turbo said though, sometimes the metal just isn't thick enough to maintain the torque.
To add to my shopping list
Should I just add the locktite before I torque them ( the loose ones anyway) or just retorque them and see?
I will use nail polish as I don't think I'd be using much torque seal around here other than for this application. Nail polish on the other hand...
Timbrens
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
To add to my shopping list
Should I just add the locktite before I torque them ( the loose ones anyway) or just retorque them and see?
I will use nail polish as I don't think I'd be using much torque seal around here other than for this application. Nail polish on the other hand...
It sure wouldn't hurt to apply the locktite now and retorque them. I'd use the Red Locktite. It's supposed to hold very well, but could require heat to remove the bolts. The next step down is blue and it's used on bolts and nuts that are removed semi-frequently.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
(Kim)

I don't have the sway on my Reece WDH but I had an issue with the bolts becoming loose on the shank where the ball is mounted.
When I took it off the truck after the third time using it, I noticed it had some movement at the shank that I did not remember it having before.
Took it into the hitch place and the guy (who installed it for me) looked at it and said, "Hmmm idk if it is supposed to do to move like that or not....I think it is but I will take it to the back and have them look at it".
He comes back 5 minutes later and says, " Yup, the guy torqued it up and it is tight now, but don't worry, the ball couldn't have come off while towing because the bolts would not have fallen off. "

So, it seems this is yet another example of the mechanics not torquing bolts to the proper lbs.

It is like the old saying goes, 'if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself'.

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote