Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Fastway E2 Hitch Review and Measurements (looking for comments)

The E2 is packaged awesome, with very clear instructions.

It is well designed with a lot of heft to it. It is the round bar style and went with the 8000lb/800lb bars.

My Tow Vehicle is a Nissan Titan, with the Tow Package and I am pulling a 2009 Rockwood Roo 17.

Nissan informed me that they do not recommend a WDH for this trailer due to its weight and its hitch weight, but I chose to get one especially the E2 for its Sway control.

It is very easy to put together.

I got very lucky and was able to put the L brackets just behind the Propane Tank and it place them exactly 27 inches from the coupler which is the max. It left me with 3 1/2 inches of bar which is 1/2 inch over the min.

I was not able to fully load the vehicle and the trailer, because I was the only one home
My initial measurements of the vehicle was
39 inches Rear 38 Inches Front

I took measurements with the trailer
38 inches Rear 38 inches Front

I did an initial set up and had an issue my measurements were:
39 1/2 inches Rear 37 1/2 inches Front
I know from my days of towing that a raised rear under load is a recipe for Jack Knifes.... but I also knew that I was not under complete load
I also realized a problem, because the bars were sooooo difficult to put on the L Brackets, even with the hitch raised all the way up and using the tool.

So I took two spacers out of the head and wound up with
38 1/2 inches Rear 38 inches in the front

I thought about it, knowing I was not under load and decided to add one spacer back and my measurements were
39 inches Rear 37 3/4 inches Front

I feel really good about this, because as soon as I put the family in the truck and 300 lbs of clothes and food and etc.... it will be right where I want it.

I also did not want to effect the ride height, because we towed it 3 hours and had no problems with out the WDH, I wanted to put something on there that provided sway control....

Please comment.... I am going to snap some photos later.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Sounds like you are getting close... I recently called Fastway and they recommended more spacers (start with 4 or 5) with a truck b/c of the longer wheelbase vs. SUV. They are very helpful.

I'm sure you're reading the E2 manual (esp. page 15) carefully as you make adjustments.... trying to ensure front measures same or slightly less and rear is slightly lower than when unloaded.

I'm also readjusting due to switching TV's. Right before my next trip, I will take a final measurement "B" to see if rear is also b/t "A" and "C" coupled but w/out WD. I also ended up replacing the shank as the std shank was not long enough even in the lowest position... this need varies by TV/TT but is an addional option if needed to ensure ball at proper ht.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker
Sounds like you are getting close... I recently called Fastway and they recommended more spacers (start with 4 or 5) with a truck b/c of the longer wheelbase vs. SUV. They are very helpful.

I'm sure you're reading the E2 manual (esp. page 15) carefully as you make adjustments.... trying to ensure front measures same or slightly less and rear is slightly lower than when unloaded.

I'm also readjusting due to switching TV's. Right before my next trip, I will take a final measurement "B" to see if rear is also b/t "A" and "C" coupled but w/out WD. I also ended up replacing the shank as the std shank was not long enough even in the lowest position... this need varies by TV/TT but is an addional option if needed to ensure ball at proper ht.

Fastway was very helpful, called me back right away. I told him what I did and he said that I did the right thing and believes that having four spacers is the correct choice due to having have 5.5 ft bed, even though it is a crew cab.

I explained to him how tough of a time I had getting the bars on the brackets and he explained it was from too many spacers and he also said that I probably should have went with the 600 lb bars not the 800.

I explained to him I was not fully loaded and also I haul quite a bit in the bed, including a motorcycle at times.

He then said then absolutely the 800 lb bars are helpful because they will help in keeping the weight distributed across the truck when loaded.

He said (and there was debate about this in a thread I posted earlier) that payload does have direct effect on tongue weight and Vice Versa. So by getting the 800 lb bars it will help.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

Also, I have found that carrying a rubber mallet is helpful for tapping the bars on/off the L-bracket of the WDH.

In addition, I read a forum post about installing a 2nd battery box up front to keep a few tools, flashlight and the mallet handy. Just purchased one from WallyWorld ($7.57) and plan to install soon.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote