Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Fastway e2 Trailer Hitch

I had my dealer put on a Fastwy-e2 trailer WD/SC trailer hitch yesterday. Yes they did rip me off but it wasn't getting done anytime soon if I didn't have them do it. Was charged $450 for a hitch I can get for around $300 + or - off the internet. Then another $215 and for labor. An additional $22 for whatever parts were necessary plus sales tax. That should give anyone considering a dealer installing one of these an idea of what to expect.

Now for the good news. The difference in pulling the trailer to the dealer and pulling it back to the storage lot was very noticable especially during breaking. The dealer put on a 1000/10,000 lb on a 461/4,111 lb trailer I talked to them about a e2 hitch closer to my actual trailer specs but was told the higher rated is better plus that is what they had in stock. Road bounce was very noticable on the ride back to the storage facility but the pick up truck was unloaded and I have only started to place items in the trailer. Fastway does claim that road bounce can be a problem with a hitch rated above the trailer weight but i guess we will see who is right Fastway or the dealer.

So far I am happy with the hitch just not what I paid for it.

Bruce
B. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

I have the same hitch on a 3700lb tt ,works good but recheck dealers work, I adjusted my ,works much better.....read and reread instruction book..Turbs and herk is good at answering these questions...
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

I talked to Progress Mfg which makes the Equal-i-zer hitch and resells the imported E2 and they told me the 1000/10000 would be good for my 369/3624 (dry) camper. So I'd say your dealer sold you the correct hitch.

They also told me that the actual Equal-i-zer hitch would be best at 600/6000 for my camper.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #4

Right. But with the extra capacity, you won't need to upgrade the WDH if/when you get a larger camper.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

I guess if you plan on getting a bigger camper someday then that sort of makes sense but this camper is all I'll ever need. Plus, if you shop around you can get the hitches cheap enough. I'd rather get the best ride possible for all the years I plan on owning this camper. You basically have to do what works best for your own situation.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I guess if you plan on getting a bigger camper someday then that sort of makes sense but this camper is all I'll ever need. Plus, if you shop around you can get the hitches cheap enough. I'd rather get the best ride possible for all the years I plan on owning this camper. You basically have to do what works best for your own situation.
I can think of three different times that I've said, "This is the biggest camper I will ever need." I was wrong at least two of those times. So far.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

I purchased a larger camper after only a year. The other a KZ Sportsman Classic I did not need a special hitch to pull. But a one week long hunting trip with three buddies was enough to get me into a larger trailer.
B. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

Understandable. This camper we bought is just for my other half and I. So, for two adults it will be all we need. I wanted something light weight that would not over work my 1/2 ton truck and I have no plans of upgrading my truck. I'm the type that keeps vehicles for many years. My last truck I owned for 13 years, we have a car we've owned for 8 years. My snowmobile I have owned for 14 years that I still ride on a regular basis. So.., when I buy things, I tend to hang on to them for a long time.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote