Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
Had Invibrake on last unit. Only had one toad. Plug and run. Quick and easy. Downsized RV and increased toads to three. Use Patriot sys now. Works well once set up but takes time and space.

Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Not sure why a stick shift when most Hondas tow w/auto. Certainly the CRV. Tow apparatus is a snap.

MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Originally Posted by MC9
Not sure why a stick shift when most Hondas tow w/auto. Certainly the CRV. Tow apparatus is a snap.
Observation: CRV is twice as heavy and 2X the price of a Fiat 500. Too heavy for a Georgetown class A motorhome.
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
The Blue Ox baseplates and tow bars are excellent and have worked extremely well on two motorhomes I have owned. With my current motorhome (FR3) I purchased the RVI Brake system which I believe is hands down one of the best designed systems out there. Also the customer service with RVi is world class which makes a huge difference. In terms of installing the base plate I would leave it to the professionals. If there is one thing you want to make certain is installed correctly it is the base plate and in many cases is not an easy job, requiring disassembly of the front end of the car depending on make and model. The car dealer is probably the best since they are familiar with their own cars but I have to tell you that I have had good luck with Camping World and also Cummins Coach Care I have found are terrific.
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
I went with Blue Ox for the base plate and tow bars. Brake buddy in the Fiat for brakes.
Had it installed at a local RV shop. Fiat dealer wasn't able to install the base plate (and they are a great dealership)
Just remember their is a different base plate for the Pop, Sport and Arbath.
Different facias and grills.
Ed & Gay
Mini-Schnauzers Dora & Mabel
(Phoebe, in our hearts)
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Jane, Check for a Blue Ox dealer near you. They will do complete job for you. I had mine installed by a RV & Marine Dealer in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
niedobry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #17
Thanks to all for the advice and replies. I found a local repair shop that had done similar installs. My base plate is on and looks great. Now I can't wait to take my little Fiat on its first camping trip!
First RV was a 1968 Nimrod popup
Second RV is a 2012 Sunseeker 2300
nights camped 2011: 42
nights camped 2012: 48
nights camped 2013: 40
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #18

Jane I had my baseplate installed last week and took our first trip with it attached to our motorhome immediately after. The Fiat tows great and as you probably know you only need to have the transmission in neutral. You don't even need the key on except if you use the 12V plug in to power a brake assist system. The outlet is not powered unless the key is on. I turned my key to the first position, make sure that the fan control is all the way off, radio off and that the daytime running lights are disabled. no problems experienced thus far with battery drain and I use the RVi auxillary brake.

scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote

500, sunseeker, toad