Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Always Learning

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles that could get stuck in cruise control

Looks like this covers a lot of tow and toad vehicles.

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles that could get stuck in cruise control | FOX2now.com
Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

Noticed most of the years involved happened after Fiat took Chrysler/Jeep over.
Just wondering....
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Noticed most of the years involved happened after Fiat took Chrysler/Jeep over.
Just wondering....
Grumpy
That means nothing. Technology changes constantly.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles that could get stuck in cruise control

So here I am on Long Island, NY for a family wedding. Now I get to drive the 2016 Grand Cherokee the 550 miles home with no cruise! Bummer.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

I'll just keep letting the recall notices pile up and then I'll bring it in and get them all fixed at once. I'm up to 3 now, one of which is a self repair if the owner wishes.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Still better than Fords imfamous self igniting trucks of a few years ago.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
That means nothing. Technology changes constantly.
And they’re at least fixing issues, not hiding them.
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #8

Recalls.

I usually have to wait an additional month to 6 months for the dealer to actually get parts for any fix. The last Gear Fix ("not in park") was a computer flash that simply displays a notice on your dash, saying "Vehicle Not In park". It didn't really FIX anything.
I use the parking brake every time, now, no matter what it says.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #9

"FCA is asking owners of the recalled vehicles to bring them into dealerships for a no-cost software update that can prevent the short circuit. In the meantime, the company is advising drivers of the involved vehicles to avoid using cruise control."
Looks like no parts involved so just need an appointment for a software upgrade. Might be harder to reprogram my brain to stop using the cruise control until I get the mod done.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #10

On another site it was pointed out that this affected gas engine vehicles with the automatic transmission not the Cummins diesel engine models of trucks.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

Running away Cummins

Don’t get me wrong. I love my Cummins diesels. On my third one and put over 250,000 miles on the previous 2. Trade just to get something new. I did have my 2012 run away with me. After slowing down to get through a small town, I pushed the “resume “ button on the cruise control. The truck starts accelerating as normal and reaches the previous setting but just keeps getting faster. Faster and faster. Hit the brakes and still gaining speed. Start pushing buttons on steering wheel and nothing. Having to go around people ahead of me as I am really going now. Turned the key off and pushed in the clutch and pulled of the highway. Restart the motor and everything is normal. Just when you turn off the key the steering wheel locks so you have a lot going on. After taking it to the dealership it was “throttle position sensor”. A less experienced driver could have crashed.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

One instance in how many vehicles sold???

I used my cruise control coming up to SC yesterday and had not seen the particulars of the recall until now. Will it deter me from using cruise control on the way back home? NO! If I have to pile it into the back of an 18 wheeler so be it. I think I know enough to be able to stop way before that need however, any number of competent combinations will suffice. I live to ride, I live to camp and today I've lived to 68. Love my Ram!
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtwo View Post
I used my cruise control coming up to SC yesterday and had not seen the particulars of the recall until now. Will it deter me from using cruise control on the way back home? NO! If I have to pile it into the back of an 18 wheeler so be it. I think I know enough to be able to stop way before that need however, any number of competent combinations will suffice. I live to ride, I live to camp and today I've lived to 68. Love my Ram!
Agree completely. One unconfirmed report of this actually happening. This is the least of the dangers of going out and driving we all face every day.
I applaud FCA for being prosctive on a fix.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
"FCA is asking owners of the recalled vehicles to bring them into dealerships for a no-cost software update that can prevent the short circuit. In the meantime, the company is advising drivers of the involved vehicles to avoid using cruise control."
Looks like no parts involved so just need an appointment for a software upgrade. Might be harder to reprogram my brain to stop using the cruise control until I get the mod done.
No way a software flash can prevent a short circuit. It's a bug in the programming plain and simple if an update fixes it. I'm surprised they dont just add automatic software updating to the computers at this point. A wifi module is pennies nowadays.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
No way a software flash can prevent a short circuit. It's a bug in the programming plain and simple if an update fixes it. I'm surprised they dont just add automatic software updating to the computers at this point. A wifi module is pennies nowadays.
The flash will prevent a short circuit from influencing the operation of the cruise control.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #16

Hell I cant get the cruise to turn ON on my 2016 2500..I need to take it to the dealer, but probably wasting my time. I expect to hear that its Normal behavior to not have your Cruise control turn on when you push the button. Everything is Normal behavior with Ram.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #17

Cool Ram Recall

Hopefully they get the parts in soon. I have been waiting about six weeks for the water pump recall. I do think that Fiat has not been a good thing for the Ram as far as quality control. I have a 2008 Charger and the fit and finish as well as the quality of the dash material, leather, and other items are much better. I paid twice as much for my Ram.
boomer116ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer116ars View Post
Hopefully they get the parts in soon. I have been waiting about six weeks for the water pump recall. I do think that Fiat has not been a good thing for the Ram as far as quality control. I have a 2008 Charger and the fit and finish as well as the quality of the dash material, leather, and other items are much better. I paid twice as much for my Ram.
I had the trans and water pump recall done a couple months ago.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Fiat/Chrysler have nothing to do with building the Cummins engine has far as parts are concerned. Cummins specifies the components and builds the engine selling the finish product to FCA less warranty. As this is how the contract is written between FCA and Cummins.

FCA does write the software for the ECM and transmission plus specifies the emission components for the completed engine. But Cummins INC specifies the internal components that are on a completed engine.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
You must be joking. Cerberus owned Chrysler and was almost the undoing of the company. Daimler had put the development work into many models including the Charger platform and 4th gen Ram, although they drained Chrysler of money to fund Mercedes Benz at the time.
Chrysler product fit and finish of this time was improving from the pre-Daimler era but is NOWHERE near today’s quality IMHO.

Tags
recall