Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Hitch

My (new to me) 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 31RK was delivered from texas yesterday. I contracted with one of the online bidding transport companies to do the work. Which I must say was an excellent experience. The truck used to tow my trailer was a 2016 short bed GMC 2500 HD. While helping him park the trailer I noticed he was using a non sliding hitch. When I asked him if he had any problems with the short bed and a standard hitch he said the newer trailers were tapered along the front leaving much more clearance between the front of the trailer and the cab of the pickup which eliminated the need for a slider. The former owner of my trailer shipped his standard hitch along with the trailer and if what the driver is saying is correct I could save over $2,000.00 on a slider. Has anyone had experience with this or any input that would help in making the correct decision.
Mac549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac549 View Post
My (new to me) 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 31RK was delivered from texas yesterday. I contracted with one of the online bidding transport companies to do the work. Which I must say was an excellent experience. The truck used to tow my trailer was a 2016 short bed GMC 2500 HD. While helping him park the trailer I noticed he was using a non sliding hitch. When I asked him if he had any problems with the short bed and a standard hitch he said the newer trailers were tapered along the front leaving much more clearance between the front of the trailer and the cab of the pickup which eliminated the need for a slider. The former owner of my trailer shipped his standard hitch along with the trailer and if what the driver is saying is correct I could save over $2,000.00 on a slider. Has anyone had experience with this or any input that would help in making the correct decision.
What did the former owner tow with, using the standard, non-slider hitch? Did he have a long bed, a standard length bed, or a short bed truck?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

I pull a33IK with a Reese slider. Never needed to use slider. I can't make a 90 degree turn but probably in the 80s. The indented caps make a big difference.

My buddy has a Montana. The cap on that has a spoiler design and no indent on corners. He knew I never used slide so he didn't the first time he put it in his driveway. Took out the rear window. I don't think he can get to 70 degree. We both have F250 shortbeds

You should be able to get a manual slider for a lot less than $2000.

You will get lots of opinions on this. I went with manual slider just in case I should ever need it.

Enjoy your new RV

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

You might want to check out the Andersen Ultimate. People who have them love them. Here is a video of a guy with a Montana showing clearance. He has the cap like my buddy.

https://youtu.be/ADm9WFwVIvg

Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

The former owner had a long bed truck. The manual slider is probably a good alternative to an expensive automatic unit.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

dalford,
The Anderson looks like a perfect solution. A couple of years ago I had both hips replaced and the doc says make sure I don't lift anything too heavy. I won't have to find someone to help me everytime I want to install and remove the hitch. Not to mention the $$ savings.
Great suggestion.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
dalford,
The Anderson looks like a perfect solution. A couple of years ago I had both hips replaced and the doc says make sure I don't lift anything too heavy. I won't have to find someone to help me everytime I want to install and remove the hitch. Not to mention the $$ savings.
Great suggestion.
There are many members of this forum who have the Andersen Ultimate and really like it. I keep going back and forth as I have a hitch that works and have not needed to utilize the slider. I think the Andersen would give me more clearance but I have a functional hitch now. The big advantage is what you mentioned, weight. You can yank that thing out by yourself and hang it on the wall in your garage and have your truck bed back. I'm still leaning toward getting one.

If you do decide to get the Andersen let me know how you like it and how does it perform for you.

What are you towing with?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

My tow vehicle is a 2016 Chevrolet 3500HD short bed Crew Cab 4x4. 6.6 L Duramax. I will let you know how the hitch works out.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
My tow vehicle is a 2016 Chevrolet 3500HD short bed Crew Cab 4x4. 6.6 L Duramax. I will let you know how the hitch works out.
Thx Mac, looking forward to your report.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

I have an Andersen Ultimate with a short bed Dodge and have tons of clearance with our 262RGX. I believe I would have to go past 90 degrees to ever worry about hitting and will never go back to a conventional hitch.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have a 2014 GMC 2500 crewcab with a 6 1/2' box and a 2014 38' Wildcat FW. I have a non-slider that I can turn nearly 90 degrees on the flat. The front of the cap is tapered so it misses the cab. The only problem I have is clearances between the box and the RV when I do sharp turns from an incline.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I have an Andersen Ultimate with a short bed Dodge and have tons of clearance with our 262RGX. I believe I would have to go past 90 degrees to ever worry about hitting and will never go back to a conventional hitch.

I agree. Short bed??? Better have something in case you ever need it. I have a Dodge and a dented cab before the slider. I use mine every time I back in the driveway and I still watch it...got one dent already. I survey the site and decide to activate or not. I got mine with rails for like $150 on CL.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
dalford,
Great suggestion.
Mac.. Did you go with the Andersen Ultimate hitch or did you decide on something else... just curious.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Mac.. Did you go with the Andersen Ultimate hitch or did you decide on something else... just curious.
I did buy the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I am glad I did. There is plenty of clearance between the cab and the trailer. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the hitch from the bed and it fits into a storage compartment in the trailer. You have to spend a little more time lining it up but it is a smooth quiet ride.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
I did buy the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I am glad I did. There is plenty of clearance between the cab and the trailer. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the hitch from the bed and it fits into a storage compartment in the trailer. You have to spend a little more time lining it up but it is a smooth quiet ride.
Good to hear. Can you see it when you are backing up to line it up? Mine is simple because it is visible out my back window. With the Husky it replaced, I had to get out to line it up.

With the remote in my hand, all I have to do outside is push in and twist the cable knob and plug in the lights. I can't help but giggle every time I connect and disconnect because it is so easy.

I have a large compartment in the front of our Wildcat the Anderson would fit in also, but never thought about putting it there. I will tomorrow so I quit tripping over it in my shop.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, wheel