Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #41

I have a pullrite super glide in my 2500hd and it I use it all the time as I live in the country an when I pull into thru my drive into farm yard I do a u turn to get the fw on to the parking pad I have gotten used to making tight turns and have gotten to love my slider

Old 12-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #42

mixed.... we have a 34 foot Sundance and a 2013 XTR ecoboost with a 6.6 box.
the hitch i went with is the Reese 16 k with slider.
have used it 3 times but hauled more that that.
depends on where i have to back into i guess as to whether its a tight turn and i need the extra space the slider gives me.

better than hearing the crunch of metal and sound of busting glass

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #43
Canadian Contingent

I can't comment on the truck as I own a new Ram 3500 SB SRW 4x4, however, as to the hitch I chose the Pullright Superglide 18k.

I just didn't ever want to worry about whether or not I would need to make a tight turn. I'm new to truck and fifth wheel and the last thing I wanted was for something to happen to my $80k truck or damage the 5er due to "driver" error. What a way to spoil a holiday!

The only drawback I find on my hitch set up is I need to be within 15* of straight to hook and unhook. Hasn't been an issue....yet!

Yes, the glider hitch is more expensive, but would more than pay for itself in no "OOOPS" worry free operation and extra step of having to get out to adjust a slider.

I'm lucky in that I negotiated the costlier hitch in with the purchase of the truck.
Even with the Superglide on rails with picture frame adapter on the 3500 4x4, I'm under 13'6" in height towing my 3450RL.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I have a Super Glide automatic slider in my 2007 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab. During 8 years of pulling, I'd guess about 120k miles with a 5th wheel, only HAD to HAVE it 3 times. Those 3 times it was essential. You don't need a slider til you need it, then you can't do without it without damage. An auto slider is not essential, but would vote for that over a manual. Usually the situation when needed is very stressful, and engaging the slider might not be your first thought.
I have the same rig on mine - and you are right, when you need it YOU Need IT! Same as a fire extinguisher! Not worth skimping.
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Actually, they won't overload the truck. The 250 with the camper package is 100% identical to the SRW 350 but de-rated by Ford to fill a different market segment. The camper package on the 250 adds the single rear upper overload spring that the SRW 350 comes with standard. So, if you don't have the camper package, just add the spring if you find the truck sags under the pin weight. Bottom line is a 250 with the camper package is a SRW 350 with different door jamb stickers and emblems.

The only other thing I would recommend is upping the air pressure on your rear tires to 80 PSI during the towing season. While the 250 and SRW 350 share tires and wheels, the factory recommended air pressure is 65/65 on a 250 and 65/80 on a SRW 350.

Seconding 100% correct!! I have the same truck, camper package, super cab. When I drop my fifth wheel on the pin it lowers on the camper overloads a bit. Solid as rock. I am running no where near max load but will certainly look at increasing air pressure with a larger trailer.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #46

Cardinal and Demco slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Just purchased a Cardinal 3250RL fifth wheel. I have a 2015 F250 4x4 SuperCrew, diesel, with a 6 1/2 box with the factory installed fifth wheel hitch prep (puchs system). I am considering the Demco 18k auto slider (only one I could find that fits the puchs) or the B&W Companion 20k fixed for the puchs system. My main question is "do I need a slider hitch "? Would appreciate comments from F250 owners with the puch system pulling a fifth wheel and what type of hitch they recommend? Thanks!
I have a 2002 30ft. Cardinal . I tried 3 B&W sliders and none of them worked like they should have and you had to get out of the truck to engage them.
I switched to the Demco Hijacker slider and couldn't be happier.
I have a 2005 King Ranch but no pucks. I installed mine myself using under bed mounts.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I was under the assumption that all short bed trucks need a slider hitch! (Isn't that true?) This is my first FW so I may be wrong about that.
That is why I bought the Pullrite auto slider for my 2015 GMC 3500 crewcab. I am pulling a CC 36CKTS and love the auto slide and I can feel it slide at almost every turn I make.
We have this same CC. Pull it with a 2013 2500 HD Duramax. Have no slider . Using an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Sets back 9.5". No even close to cab.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #48

I have a chev Silverado 2500--short box----$$ difference between two was not an issue...installed slider model..never used as yet...no regrets in my decision...who knows down the road!!!! j
Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Seconding 100% correct!! I have the same truck, camper package, super cab. When I drop my fifth wheel on the pin it lowers on the camper overloads a bit. Solid as rock. I am running no where near max load but will certainly look at increasing air pressure with a larger trailer.
That's interesting since my F350 don't come close to the over load springs till I exceed 3200 lbs in the bed. My 2800 lbs pin isn't even close to loading up/touching the overload springs.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
That's interesting since my F350 don't come close to the over load springs till I exceed 3200 lbs in the bed. My 2800 lbs pin isn't even close to loading up/touching the overload springs.
I need to restate this. It has just touched them. I had the truck undercoated and that is the only reason I know it has touched them, as far as sitting on the overloads when hitched I can report back in the spring.

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, slide, wheel