Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Your main and biggest problem is that you have 2000 lbs. of pin weight in a 1/2 ton and you are obviously way over payload and probably axle rating for that matter.

That's way too much trailer for that F150 although I'm sure the dealer said it was "no problem".

Live and learn I guess.
1,770 dry hitch weight and 11,930 gross weight per the specs.

Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968

F-150 with max tow has a payload of 2,060 to 3,120 depending on exact options.

So it seems that they're actually ok regarding weight. Next time take five minutes to research specs before condemming a combo. It's not hard to get ducks in a row.

As for the actual OP, could have it have been unusual circumstances? Even with more than typical clearance if the right circumstances come together then contact can happen.
__________________

__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
1,770 dry hitch weight and 11,930 gross weight per the specs.

Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968

F-150 with max tow has a payload of 2,060 to 3,120 depending on exact options.

So it seems that they're actually ok regarding weight. Next time take five minutes to research specs before condemming a combo. It's not hard to get ducks in a row.

As for the actual OP, could have it have been unusual circumstances? Even with more than typical clearance if the right circumstances come together then contact can happen.
I don't believe max tow gives you 2000 lbs. or more of payload. That's the HD payload option and the OP never mentioned HD payload.

I believe my ducks are in a row.

Using fictional dry pin weights from the manufacturer doesn't help your case either.
__________________

__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Tucson Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 118
I agree with pappcam, why do people use a 1/2ton pick up to tow a heavy 5er.
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton and never worry.
Just sayin nuff said
__________________
2014 Ford F450 4+4
2009 XLR 40X12
2009 RZR ready for the trail
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days camped in '16 - 87
Days Camped in '17- 62
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 467
x2
__________________
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
I'm with pappcam. That's a lot of trailer. I'm just a few hundred pounds heavier and towing with a 1 ton diesel. Don't even know its behind me.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Joe View Post
I agree with pappcam, why do people use a 1/2ton pick up to tow a heavy 5er.
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton and never worry.
Just sayin nuff said
Because we can and it's nobody's business but ours. Some of us don't want to go head over heals in debt just to show off a 3/4, 1 or 1-1/2 t truck when it can and is being done quite nicely with a 1/2 T.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Because we can and it's nobody's business but ours. Some of us don't want to go head over heals in debt just to show off a 3/4, 1 or 1-1/2 t truck when it can and is being done quite nicely with a 1/2 T.
Just because you can doesn't make it right! 😆
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 101
x2

Some of us can not afford to get a bigger truck. A lot of 1/2 T can be use towing a 5er. It all depends on the mods and setup. Just because it might be at limits does not make it unsafe. That is why they have limits. JMHO
__________________
___________________________________
Salmon Hunter
2011 Crusader 320 RLT/ Honda 3000ei
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab/Duramax Diesel/Allison Transmission
Salmon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just because you can doesn't make it right! ��
And, just because you say it's wrong doesn't make it wrong either.

You will find out there are a lot of things in life that you might consider "Right" that others don't.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I don't believe max tow gives you 2000 lbs. or more of payload. That's the HD payload option and the OP never mentioned HD payload.

I believe my ducks are in a row.

Using fictional dry pin weights from the manufacturer doesn't help your case either.
Max tow starts at 2,000, with HD option carries it to 3,020. So where am I wrong?

And fictional? My hitch weight was right on spec, despite what everyone thinks, FR knows how to weigh a trailer.

So you're wrong here. They're within spec.

And finally, how does this affect something such as the trailer hitting the bed?even if the truck is sitting on the bump stops the trailer to bed dimension won't change much. They either need to raise the hitch or it got really bound up. Truck capacity isn't in question here.
__________________

__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed, fifth wheel, truck, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.