Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Because we can and it's nobody's business but ours. Some of us don't want to go head over heals in debt just to show off a 3/4, 1 or 1-1/2 t truck when it can and is being done quite nicely with a 1/2 T.

X2. If you're making it safely, then it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #22
Papi

I love these threads...

...here's my unscientific analysis (from a guy who upgraded from a 150 when he found out the tiny 5er with 1450 pin weight wouldn't be fun): If the OP empties all fuel, removes all luggage/items and has no people in TV he may just squeak by. Simple solution: Upgrade to 250/350 with piece of mind. BTW, when we almost bought the little 5er the dealer also said "Oh, no problem with the 150!". Checking specs before signing and taking another year to buy the behemoth we have now makes me a LOT happier. Bought the 350, THEN, the 5er because we knew the show didn't have anything we couldn't tow. 'Course the good deal on a new 2 YO truck helped too to be fair. I was concerned about a 5er and the 150 and the insurance adjuster...LOL.
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #23

The OP wasn't asking about weight. They were asking about the trailer rubbing the bed. And it appears their question has gotten some answers. Stay on subject and keep high-horse opinions to yourself.

Maybe threads should get locked when this happens.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Max tow starts at 2,000, with HD option carries it to 3,020. So where am I wrong?

And fictional? My hitch weight was right on spec, despite what everyone thinks, FR knows how to weigh a trailer.

So you're wrong here. They're within spec.

And finally, how does this affect something such as the trailer hitting the bed?even if the truck is sitting on the bump stops the trailer to bed dimension won't change much. They either need to raise the hitch or it got really bound up. Truck capacity isn't in question here.
Humor me, I'd like to see the payload sticker on a max tow and HD tow for my own reference.
This.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403697350929.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	56291  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

When the self appointed weight police start paying my bills and buying my trucks, I will let them tell me what to do. Otherwise, I can suggest a repository for their advice.

I'm outta here.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
When the self appointed weight police start paying my bills and buying my trucks, I will let them tell me what to do. Otherwise, I can suggest a repository for their advice.

I'm outta here.
Don't come back either
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #27

OP didn't say what type of hitch they were using but I had a Pullright that had way too much side to side travel. Even with 6 inches of bed clearance on more than one occasion I could have hit the bed. I ended up putting 1/2" steel blocks under each side to limit the side to side travel, problem solved.
heavyodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...I'm outta here.
With the caveat of FT Turbs comments.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Your main and biggest problem is that you have 2000 lbs. of pin weight in a 1/2 ton and you are obviously way over payload and probably axle rating for that matter.

That's way too much trailer for that F150 although I'm sure the dealer said it was "no problem".

Live and learn I guess.
X2 , 100% agree !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #30
Site Team

This site has been very helpful to me. From all of the expert opinions and legal advice, I have learned that if you're pulling a grocery cart, you need a 5500 truck. If you have groceries in the cart, you need a Caterpillar D9 tractor. I'll start shopping today.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #31

It's interesting, these camping forums. Being a model railroader and train enthusiast, I belong to a few forms and a Facebook page that are about trains, real and model. Surprisingly, considering what type of knowledge you can get into, there is no where the amount of 'authority' as seen here and other camping forums. Or thread hijacking for that matter. It is much more civil.

I used to belong to a large RV forum (can't remember what it was) and left after seeing how dissenting people could be if you didn't follow their 'expertise.' I also used to be on one that specialized in hybrids, that was the worst. It was like it was full of grumpy old men, they didn't hesitate to hurl insults and say you were clueless, and that their opinions and ways were superior to all others.

Camping is suppose to be fun. Good times, good food, good friends. And if someone asks for help, then we help them. There should never be any friction. Try to look at things from a third person's point of view.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Humor me, I'd like to see the payload sticker on a max tow and HD tow for my own reference.
This.
Go find it yourself. I went to the Ford website, but according to the typical thought process here, manufacturers don't know how to type out specs.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
It's interesting, these camping forums. Being a model railroader and train enthusiast, I belong to a few forms and a Facebook page that are about trains, real and model. Surprisingly, considering what type of knowledge you can get into, there is no where the amount of 'authority' as seen here and other camping forums. Or thread hijacking for that matter. It is much more civil.

I used to belong to a large RV forum (can't remember what it was) and left after seeing how dissenting people could be if you didn't follow their 'expertise.' I also used to be on one that specialized in hybrids, that was the worst. It was like it was full of grumpy old men, they didn't hesitate to hurl insults and say you were clueless, and that their opinions and ways were superior to all others.

Camping is suppose to be fun. Good times, good food, good friends. And if someone asks for help, then we help them. There should never be any friction. Try to look at things from a third person's point of view.

I've bailed out of a few camping forums for this very reason. It's taken longer, but this forum is showing it's hands wringing with worry high horsing. If noses were any higher they'd drown when it rained as my Grandmother used to say.

Luckily, I've only had one person come to me in a campground sharing their opinion of what I was doing and how wrong I was. But from behind the safety of a keyboard? Everyone is 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When my dealer set up my 5er & hitch last month he said 8" was the space I needed between the box and the 5er.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

lol
If you don't like the pictures in the magazine don't look at it. 😆
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #36
Papi

Mr. Dan: Now you're talking! - - - Seriously, and with tongue fully in cheek, these things get a bit out of hand because the written word seldom conveys the writer's true emotions and things get put in by the reader "between the lines". Yes, I have been chastised by the police several times but it does not keep me from posting. It is a known fact that I have a somewhat strange sense of humor (that is obviously conveyed to only a few). No harm was meant and my suggestion would be that many members, perhaps especially so-called senior members lighten up a bit. I still am not sure what a "high horsed" comment is (but I'm betting I'll find out very soon). BTW, to lock threads without serious disregard or defamation would rather defeat the purpose of "FORUM"...IMHO of course. BTW, I did enjoy your sarcasm...really. Thanks!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #37
Always Learning

Just saw this comic this morning:

Now I get- no one called anyone else stupid here, but this was quite the run of a thread from a fiver hitting the truck bed to being overloaded. Being firmly in the "ratings matter and should be adhered to"-camp AND being in the truck-ignorant camp, I don't see how being overloaded would/could cause this.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #38

That comic reminds me of a recent survey that found 94% of all Americans think they have above-average intelligence.

Anyway, the OP stated that they could adjust the hitch and pull unlevel. Clearly the stock suspension isn't carrying that weight alone. Maybe some air could be let out of the bags to get a touch more clearance in the back?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Because we can and it's nobody's business but ours. Some of us don't want to go head over heals in debt just to show off a 3/4, 1 or 1-1/2 t truck when it can and is being done quite nicely with a 1/2 T.
Easy now old coot. I've seen the specs of your truck and trailer and you are fine. I'm not saying nobody can tow a 5th with a 1/2 ton, just that with this size camper, probably not a safe thing to do. I have a comparable size 5th wheel and sure wouldn't want to tow it with a 1/2 ton. As far as the cost of my one ton diesel, it cost less than most all of the popular suvs on the market which have very low capacities.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #40

My 2 cents, set up for 6" clearance and go from there. Try your best to not drive through places that are going to cause issues, if it can be helped. Eye ball the area and try to navigate it so that you drive over the most level area. It's pretty difficult to not have the trailer make contact if the ground is really unlevel. If the site is that bad I would ask for another one.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, fifth wheel, truck, wheel