Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
B47

fifth wheel lube plates

Not much discussion about this, but I had occasion to look at the 5W lube plate (don't remember the brand name) that I had the dealer install before we left the lot the first time. The reason for the installation at that time was to keep the DW happy as I knew she was not going to be happy with grease or lube on either the trailer or the 5W assembly.

My 29rk is coupled to a Husky 5W assembly (don't know the model # at this time) and has been out on 5 trips for a total tow distance of 923 miles (I keep a mileage log). The plate looks almost new and I do not see any sighs of wear on either the king pin or the 5W assembly or the plate itself.

What experience have other 5W ers had in this area?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Not much discussion about this, but I had occasion to look at the 5W lube plate (don't remember the brand name) that I had the dealer install before we left the lot the first time. The reason for the installation at that time was to keep the DW happy as I knew she was not going to be happy with grease or lube on either the trailer or the 5W assembly.

My 29rk is coupled to a Husky 5W assembly (don't know the model # at this time) and has been out on 5 trips for a total tow distance of 923 miles (I keep a mileage log). The plate looks almost new and I do not see any sighs of wear on either the king pin or the 5W assembly or the plate itself.

What experience have other 5W ers had in this area?
Sorry, but I should have posted this in the "Towing, Hitches & Toads" forum.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

I have used a lube plate with my 5th wheel since new, a Sabre 31 RETS coupled to a Husky 16K hitch, and have been very pleased with it. I keep the workings of the hitched lubed with lithium grease, of course, but don't need grease on the 5th wheel pad due to the lube plate. I have several thousand miles on this set up and see no problems with using the lube plate.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

My lube plate is on it's seventh year and still looks pretty good.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

I have always used a lube plate, never had any issues.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

The only issue I had with the first lube plate was when it cracked when hooking up early one morning this past Jan. It was below freezing that morning and when the pin box sled onto the plate, a big chunk broke off. That lube plate had at least 7000 miles with close to 2000 lbs. hitch weight on it.

I will now be careful on those cold mornings...
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote