Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #21

Congrats sir... you will certainly enjoy pulling much more with this 6 cylinder!

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Well you just jumped up to a whole other price range. It better be an improvement. Looks like a great truck and I hope to step up someday as well for the payload. That said I don't like the notion that an ecoboost isn't a good tow vehicle. They can pull anything...pure awesome if you ask me...but they suffer the same payload restrictions all half-tons deal with.
Very well said. That was my issue... payload. I was overloaded and didn't feel safe. I didn't want to go to far from home. It feels great knowing I'm free to roam now! Already planning a trip from Texas to Florida. That would never been an option with my old setup.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #23

I pulled for several years with an Ecoboost. For a 1/2 ton it did great. Going up and down the mountains with our old TT which full weight was 8k, it didn't even act like a trailer was behind it.

Daily driver? Drove just like a nice car. (Granted I had 2, one was returned via lemon law, second was rock solid).

The bad parts were going down hills, and stopping. A bit of tail wagging the dog... That wasn't the Eco but the 1/2 ton instead.

Recently I moved up to a 1 ton to tow my new 5er and I towed the old TT a couple of times with it. The stopping was noticeably better. Other than that the real difference is between the TT and a 5er. No comparison.

Congrats on your new truck! You will enjoy the peace of mind!
wentcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #24

Kind of curious... what model tt is that? Looks a lot like the 2906ws we got a few months back.

Also, what was the payload on your Ford? I pull our 2096 with a 1/2 ton much like that... only crew, not super crew and 5.0l not ecoboost and 3.31 rear end and not 4x4. So...a little similar anyway. But your 3/4 ton payload is only about 300lbs more than mine at 1724 on the sticker. Your new tow capacity is almost double though.

Just curious to know your tt weight and if/when you notice a difference in stability.

Thx
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #25

It's a 2905ws. TT is 6500 pounds empty I believe. I just got the truck Thursday and haven't towed the trailer yet.
All I know is last week my ecoboost wouldn't shift out of 4th gear on the trip home.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #26

Haters be hatin......
Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
You threw the bait out, so I'll nibble.... Ecoboost towed like a car? What was the weight on that trailer? Mine is towing 7k pounds like nobodies business.

My feathers aren't ruffled, but you've given the worst towing review of an ecoboost that I've heard, and I've read hundreds.
Most of the issues I had were self inflicted. I had a 2012 ecoboost with a 3.55 rear and when I got my 2014 ecoboost I fell in love with the color and options and never even thought twice about the rear. The next day fter i bought it I pulled a golf cart on my 12' trailer and knew right away something was wrong. I looked it up and it had a 3.31. The difference was huge in my 2012 and 2014. My neighbor did the exact same thing and both agree our 2012s had much more power than our 2014s. We both now have upgraded to diesels. He got a Ford and I went Dodge.
I upgraded the tires to load E at only 14000 miles, added an extra leaf and even added timbrens. So I gave it an opportunity and tried to make it work. If all I wanted to do was stay local I would be fine overloaded probably, but having the option of going anywhere we desire is a great feeling!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #28

The OP-title clearly suggests dissatisfaction with the Ecoboost truck, then posts a picture of a Ram. For the first half-page, I thought this was comparing to a 1/2-ton Ram (maybe the EcoDiesel?).

Then I find out that the comparison is to a 3/4-ton Ram diesel!
Really? That's how you slam the Ford, is to compare it to the next class?

Come on, guys!!! Be serious. If you want to try slamming Ford, compare it to what Ram offers in a 1/2-ton. And if you want to trumpet the 3/4-ton Ram, compare it to Ford's 3/4-ton (also with a diesel).

Do people really believe it worth the time to compare the towing abilities of a 1/2-gas-turbo, to a 3/4-turbo-diesel?

NOTE: I have no experience with either. I'm just pointing out an unfair comparison here.

PS - Nice looking truck (except the mirrors, haha). Enjoy!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #29

You will like those mirrors. Regardless of what some might say, they are reliable and work great. Unlike the overpriced junk on my last truck. Only thing I miss is turn signal lights built into them.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #30

Welcome to the Ram Diesel Brethren.....
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #31
Camp Bartender

RAM FOR LIFE

FORD IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST

*disclaimer, never owned a Ford truck, just an avalanche, and don't get me started on the POS drivetrain GM put in 2003-2006 Avalanches, I just got a really good deal on the Ram, better than the Ford EB I wanted, and the Ram covered all of my towing bases, so I went that way. Felt like I should jump on the train here.....

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuggy View Post
It's a 2905ws. TT is 6500 pounds empty I believe. I just got the truck Thursday and haven't towed the trailer yet.
All I know is last week my ecoboost wouldn't shift out of 4th gear on the trip home.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Comparison is not correct. They are different animals and brothers from different mothers to boot..

Looking at the OP posted door post sticker. The Ford Ecoboost F 150 specs are not the maximum available for the truck. My 2013 Ecoboost was 4,100 on rear axle. I had the 7650 GVWR package, was standard on the King Ranch in Canada.

I was also overloaded but at 10,000 towed weight i was under the max ratings of 11,600 but that means nothing. Payload was over by close to 800 lbs. Truck Tires is all I added. Towed fine in Ontario. Would I tow through the Rockies, no I would not. A lot depends on where you plan to go.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
The OP-title clearly suggests dissatisfaction with the Ecoboost truck, then posts a picture of a Ram. For the first half-page, I thought this was comparing to a 1/2-ton Ram (maybe the EcoDiesel?).

Then I find out that the comparison is to a 3/4-ton Ram diesel!
Really? That's how you slam the Ford, is to compare it to the next class?

Come on, guys!!! Be serious. If you want to try slamming Ford, compare it to what Ram offers in a 1/2-ton. And if you want to trumpet the 3/4-ton Ram, compare it to Ford's 3/4-ton (also with a diesel).

Do people really believe it worth the time to compare the towing abilities of a 1/2-gas-turbo, to a 3/4-turbo-diesel?

NOTE: I have no experience with either. I'm just pointing out an unfair comparison here.

PS - Nice looking truck (except the mirrors, haha). Enjoy!

I never compared the two, but just stated I upgraded. Maybe you need to read the whole post. If you are towing, going from an F150 to an F250 would be an upgrade. That's what I did. I went from a 1/2 ton gas to a 3/4 diesel. Its not slamming Ford by saying a 1/2 ton maxed out isn't as good as a 3/4 ton not maxed... its a fact. If I would've upgraded to an F250 would I be slamming Ford? I would've bought an F250, but being a new one is coming out next year and they inside looks just like the F150 I've had for the past 4 years I switched to Ram... just wanted something different.

I loved both of my Ford trucks. They just weren't meeting my towing needs. Granted, when I bought both I didn't own a travel trailer and towing my golf carts, ATVs and etc they did fine. But towing at your max rating (and over on payload) on your truck for any given distance isn't a pleasant experience. We live in Central texas and going down to the Texas coast wasn't really an option for me. Could I have made it... sure. Would it been a safe and smart thing to do... probably not.

You go out to nearly any campgrounds and you will see someone that's overloaded and either doesn't know or just doesn't care. Well, that's not me. I cared and knew better so I made the change.

For me personally it was a very expensive change and lesson. I had my 2014 F150 4x4 Ecoboost for only 13 months so I was upside down big time. I paid off all my negative equity when I bought the new truck being I didn't want to carry it over. Believe me, there were tear stains on the check as I was writing it, but I knew it was for the best.

I know have a weight lifted off my shoulders and when the wife ask about going to the beach or going half way across the county I know it's an option. That makes it justifiable for me. We are now free to go as we please and do it safely... the piece of mind is worth every penny.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
RAM FOR LIFE

FORD IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST

*disclaimer, never owned a Ford truck, just an avalanche, and don't get me started on the POS drivetrain GM put in 2003-2006 Avalanches, I just got a really good deal on the Ram, better than the Ford EB I wanted, and the Ram covered all of my towing bases, so I went that way. Felt like I should jump on the train here.....

Old 05-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #35

bb,
I did read the entire thread (including yours). My intent was regarding the general tone of the thread. But I definitely see the way I worded things went after your original post.

When I see people congratulating you on now owning a "real truck", it just shows this turned into a comparison, even if you did not intend it to be.

Tags
ecoboost, upgrade