Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #21

why not

Always grease the ball if not you have metal on metal grinding away , and never use a hammer or mallet to beat down the latch it shows something is not right to latch if you have to do that and in time the latch will bend and after to many times of doing that and you straighten it it will break
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #22

Paint a small vertical stripe on both side of trailer tounge and below the ball while it is hooked up. Should provide proper forward alinemement! White or other bright color works good for night or early am hook ups.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #23

My truck has a little give so I found by accident that I can lean my hip into the tail gate and move the truck forward slightly without having to get in and pull forward. Then l just close the coupler. I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to discover this.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #24

I had this issue with my boat trailer. I would always giggle the truck back and forth and beat it and pry it etc. After two years of this frustration I put a small amount of grease on the ball and haven't had an issue since.

My travel trailer also has this issue, I use one of the WD bars and pry between the front of the coupler and the truck bumper, it takes the pressure off of the latch and it hooks right up.
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #25

I had the opportunity to hook up my trailer this week and I tried out the method described by many of you to position the ball slightly forward of the hitch and it worked like a charm.

Thank you everyone for helping me to learn!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #26

Very good!
In some cases, it's possible that the latch mechanism underneath, needs to be adjusted. But that should be the last resort. You want the latch to be a tight as possible, but still be able to just barely get the ball in there. This ensures the most secure connection.

IMO, if you can just barely get it in place, that's perfect. Now that you've learned the trick (ball slightly forward, so the coupler is "reaching" for the ball), you're good to go!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch