Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Finessing hitch onto the ball

I can't tell you how ignorant I feel about this issue. I've hooked up my Mini-Lite 1901 multiple times. A few times, it's gone perfectly. More times, though, I cannot get the hitch lock lever to go into the lock position. I have a backup camera on the truck so getting the hitch under the ball is not a problem. I am doing this alone so I am in and out of the truck trying to make slight adjustments in position. At campgrounds, I've had to enlist help from fellow campers several times.

The men that have helped me manhandle it into place - kicking, pushing, bouncing. That's how my husband used to deal with it. I apparently don't have the strength or the confidence to push it into place. I know I'm using the right size ball for the hitch.

Are there any tools, tricks, pointers that anyone can offer that can help? Is there any maintenance I should be doing like greasing the ball?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

Most of the time if you just push the trailer towards the rear it will allow the hitch to last.
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

After you drop the trailer onto the ball just pull the truck up a couple inches, should latch no problem.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Finessing hitch onto the ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
After you drop the trailer onto the ball just pull the truck up a couple inches, should latch no problem.

Ditto. Sounds like the hitch ball is a little far back. When this happens I will put the truck in drive and it will move forward a tad before putting on the brake. No need to give it has.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #5

I like to keep the front edge of the ball just a little forward of the coupler so that the trailer rolls forward a bit as you lower it. Same results as inching forward described above. That helps to assure that the ball does not trap the coupler lever.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I addition to making sure the ball is to the front of the coupler, make sure the trailer tongue is down firmly on the ball, not just partially down.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
I like to keep the front edge of the ball just a little forward of the coupler so that the trailer rolls forward a bit as you lower it. Same results as inching forward described above. That helps to assure that the ball does not trap the coupler lever.
X2

carry a rubber mallet and beat on it a little

don't put grease on it just makes it messy

maybe a little WD-40 in the lock mechanism and the ball before hitching

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Ditto. Sounds like the hitch ball is a little far back. When this happens I will put the truck in drive and it will move forward a tad before putting on the brake. No need to give it has.
Ditto x 3. I use my trailer often and am either hooking it to my truck or MH. If I can't latch it I just let either vehicle pull ahead an couple of inches. If the ball is off center then I turn my wheel all the way to the left or right. Living with rheumatoid arthritis pretty much means you have to improvise. No different from getting old. lol
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

I position the ball 3/4 under the hitch. As it lowers the hitch will slide over the ball the rest of the way. If the ball is too far back it will get hung on the lock mechanism and not let the hitch all the way down.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I position the ball 3/4 under the hitch. As it lowers the hitch will slide over the ball the rest of the way. If the ball is too far back it will get hung on the lock mechanism and not let the hitch all the way down.
Me as well.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post

This is how I was taught and the only way my pop-up would hitch up properly.

I never thought of inching forward. That's a good idea and makes sense.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

I've had the same problem on hay and cattle trailers through the years (tow a 5th wheel for RVing). I keep a 18" crowbar to pry the base of the hitch (tongue side) back against the ball, and this relieves the binding between the ball and latching mechanism. This can latch with minor effort. Pushing back on the trailer, or pulling forward with the tow vehicle will do the same thing, but takes more effort than the crowbar.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #13

I encounter this issue frequently as well. The best way I found to address it is to take a step back and see if the ball is too far forward or back and move the TV about an inch in the direction to move it to center. Generally a quick off and on the break will do the trick and you will hear it drop in place.
wboglejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #14

Be certain the lock mechanism works freely before you try to hitch up. I like to use a spray grease. It doesn't get everywhere. Lube it and work it a few times. Always pull forward slightly to seat ball. JMHO
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Just A Member

My TT has a 980 pound tongue weight and it has a non-adjustable lock that is really tight. Since my TT wheels are chocked until after I hookup I use my power tongue jack and lower hitch until it pops on to the ball. My problem is unhooking it. I can open the latch and almost raise the truck off the ground and it will not come off. Normally I will have to raise it up and then put the truck in neutral to pop it off. And yes it has plenty of grease. I think the manufacturing tolerances are getting a little to tight.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
This is exactly how I do it.

Bruce
Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #17
Learning a lot as I go...

I have never been able to *english* this ball/hitch setup successfully by pushing/pulling on things.

I have put yellow tape over the top of my hitch to mark the center of the ball socket. This helps somewhat with locating things in the rear view camera in the truck since everything is black.

Lock up in released position.
I aim for ball centered under the socket.
Trailer chocked to not roll.
Drop the tongue on the trailer putting about half weight on truck. Note that the ball is up into the socket at least partially at this point. The sides of the socket are NOT resting on top of the ball!
Put truck in neutral with brakes off and it usually self-adjusts to sit down with ball fully in socket.
Latch and lock.

Since I have a weight distributing hitch, then it is lift until the back wheels of the truck get light and hook up the lift bars. This is also the best (only?) angle for me to hook up the safety chains. It has the nice side effect of double checking that the ball is locked in place.

Then I drop it all the way and lift the power jack fully up.

Back the TV just a bit to release trailer chocks, remove the chocks and motor.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #18

Sometimes if I just sit on the bumper it will latch on.
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #19

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions. I have gotten in and out of the truck so many times trying to inch it forward or back and it just doesn't help. Based on what y'all are saying it sounds like I may be starting out too far back and then it gets bound up and my inching up and back doesn't help. I will try next time with the ball a little more forward as many of you suggested and see if that helps. thanks again.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
That's a very good way! Let the trailer do the work. Even when it is chocked it will lurch forward onto the ball.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch