Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Firestone Air Bag System

Since I've never had an air bag system installed in my trucks, I thought I'd ask the community if this is a good price quote:

(My truck is a 2013 Tundra with rear shocks so my first choice, the StableLoads, are not an option.)

Firestone Ride Rite air bags and Firestone HD Air Command: $1,439.08.

They said airbag install is about 2 hours and they're not sure about the air command because it's now a remote system, so much fewer wires to run, but doesn't sound like too many hours of labor.

Sound fair?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Firestone Air Bag System

It took me about 45 minutes to install my air bags. I did not install the air command system. I paid $250 for the airbags only.
If you have a little time and minimal skills you could save a lot of money. Hardest part was jacking the truck up and removing the tire for access.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

I paid $230 from tweetys. Had a buddy with air tools install mine in about 30 minutes. Didn't need to remove tires...2006 Chevy 2500hd diesel. Great investment.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Boy Howdy ... that figure makes my head an another part hurt. It's all a straight forward installation with basic tools and maybe an electric drill motor. Evaluate your own skills and tools and maybe save taking out a second mortage to pay off this outfit. I personally didn't see a need for the dual controls for each airbag ... I installed the single control and standard pump. Unless you are planning on air horns or something, no more air than the bags require the standard pump is adequate.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Strongly agree with dieselguy....those bags fill up quickly. I don't have an onboard compressor, but with just a regular 12v compressor, they fill up very quickly. Dual pumps would be overkill.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good inputs, everyone.

The reason I'm interested in the air command is because we almost always disconnect when we go camping so doesn't that require adjusting the air bags to a much lower number? (And then adding air when towing, again?)

If not, then just the air bags...and my quote for those was $422.99.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

I run mine with about 35 psi in them. When I unhitch (5th wheel) I keep same pressure in them while normal driving. Smoothed the ride out, plus having the hitch weight in the bed helps also. You will find some that run them lower, but that's personal preference. It literally takes about 3-4 seconds with a compressor to get almost 50 psi in those things. I'm sure it's convenient to be able to adjust on the fly with an onboard system, but for me personally, I put that money elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

I have them on my 2013 Tundra Double Cab. Run them at 10psi empty and 25psi towing our 8329SS. I fill them with a bicycle air pump. Takes only a few pumps to get to 25psi. There is very little volume.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

My truck is a 1 ton dually ... I run them at 38psi loaded and 5 - 10psi unloaded. If I don't let some air out while not towing, the truck rides like a brick wagon. I went a couple of years just using an air bubble, but an internet deal made the onboard pump too good to pass up. It cost some dough, but sure is handy to adjust or deflate on the fly. PS ... if you set your pressure before hooking up, figure on a 10 - 20 psi pressure rise after you let the RV down on the truck unless you're towing a featherlite.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
My truck is a 1 ton dually ... I run them at 38psi loaded and 5 - 10psi unloaded. If I don't let some air out while not towing, the truck rides like a brick wagon. I went a couple of years just using an air bubble, but an internet deal made the onboard pump too good to pass up. It cost some dough, but sure is handy to adjust or deflate on the fly. PS ... if you set your pressure before hooking up, figure on a 10 - 20 psi pressure rise after you let the RV down on the truck unless you're towing a featherlite.
Rocky is an ultralite...around 7,000-7,500 loaded. (I would like to get her weighed to know for sure but not sure where to go.)

Anyway, what's better...inflating before hooking up or after?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

I have Firestone bags on my F250. They were on the truck when I bought it. One annoying thing is that the compressor kicks on almost every time the truck gets started to shoot a bit of air in the bags to get them to the min 5psi. From what I have read I cant just pull the fuse to the compressor since the bags require the 5 psi so they aren't damaged. No big deal but the compressor is a bit loud...
jhoppmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Since I've never had an air bag system installed in my trucks, I thought I'd ask the community if this is a good price quote:

(My truck is a 2013 Tundra with rear shocks so my first choice, the StableLoads, are not an option.)

Firestone Ride Rite air bags and Firestone HD Air Command: $1,439.08.

They said airbag install is about 2 hours and they're not sure about the air command because it's now a remote system, so much fewer wires to run, but doesn't sound like too many hours of labor.

Sound fair?
i just installed the airlift air bags . very nice quality units with a summer rebate of $50 and on sale for 299. seemed like a good time to buy . i did not get the on board compressor . I just fill with my 12v compressor takes about 10 seconds . the ride towing is much improved and the stock ride also
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Adding air to the bags before or after doesn't matter other than not exceeding the max allowed pressure which you'll never come close to ... Add air till your ride is acceptable to you and make that your routine. I was just pointing out not to think something is wrong when you see the pressure increase when you hook up. This is just physics 101.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

I have them on my 250. This is the 3rd truck I've had them on. They work well when towing. They level out the truck easily and just about eliminates the bouncing on bumps.

I always install the valves in place of the license plate screws so they are easy to reach. I'm currently running them at 25 psi when towing and empty when not. I know they say to run 5 psi, but I've never had an issue running them empty. I have 3 friends to do the same thing and no issues there either. I deflate mine when we'll be stopped somewhere for a while and use a small 12v compressor to pump them back up before we leave. The ride is pretty firm with no weight on them.

I ordered mine from Summitt Racing and they were under $400 and the install was just under 2 hrs by myself in the driveway. I agree with the others, the bags are easily inflated with a small bike pump. I think the onboard systems are nice, but to me it wasn't worth the extra time or money.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #15

I have a leveling valve on the rear axle and onboard compressor. They inflate or deflate themselves as required to keep the truck at a preset position relative to the ground. I have not adjusted anything since I installed the system in 2001.I dont have to fiddle around measureing ride hieght and putting air in or letting it out. The level of the truck is always the same no matter how heavy its loaded or if its unloaded.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #16

I have Firestone airbags on my 2007 and 2015 Chevy 2500s. 2007 has one line, but truck would rock in a side wind. Put the separate controls on my 2015. Have on board compressors on both trucks. 60+ psi loaded and 10 psi empty. Have run as high as 80 psi with a gooseneck cattle trailer loaded. I like the on board compressor to change psi when hauling cattle. Don't change much on the 5th wheel, except when I unhook. I like the convenience of the on board compressor, bit not sure it is worth the cost for an rv
jkdairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I had Firestone Air Bags and Air Lift's wireless One compressor installed. The airbags and compressor together were about $450. I used a Truck accessory shop to do the install and they charged me $350. It took them about an hour to do the install. The wireless remote compressor works like a dream. I find myself cruising down the freeway and if all is smooth road, I crank it down to 10psi to get the 5er more level. If roads are rough, I crank it up to about 40 psi. Also, if I happen to end up towing at night (something I usually avoid), cranking it up to about 40psi levels out my headlights.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #18

I have Firestone airbags, no compressor, single fill. I originally had dual fill but that was a pita. Put in 35pi before loading 5th. Jumps to ~50psi. Purchased from etrailer.com.

According to Firestone set up by measuring wheel well height before loading, add RV then add pressure until 1/2 inch below that height. Measure psi once you unload your RV and you will know how much to put in next time.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #19

I have a 2007 Tundra. I measure the level distance from the bed rail to the ground at the center of the rear wheel. I hooked up the 5th wheel and added air until I reached the previous measurement on the bed rail. The truck is level as is the 5th wheel. I leave this same air pressure when not towing. My FW is a 2014 Wildcat Maxx 262 RX.
gjlabree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have Firestone airbags, no compressor, single fill. I originally had dual fill but that was a pita. Put in 35pi before loading 5th. Jumps to ~50psi. Purchased from etrailer.com.

According to Firestone set up by measuring wheel well height before loading, add RV then add pressure until 1/2 inch below that height. Measure psi once you unload your RV and you will know how much to put in next time.
With my system none of this is needed.It does it by itself.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote