Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #61

Sptingerdad. I had a 2011 2500hd Silverado. The warning light came on when it wanted to. Once at 227 to go then 470 then 6 something. With this you know all the time. DEF gauge on left lower.
https://youtu.be/YnPIRZpvF24
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #62

my first diesel also- 09 gmc 3500 cc 4x4 drw - had it since 11 - had 11,000 miles- now 36,300 I have shop maintain it. 2 freeze ups. once I almost immediately knew it was bad fuel(PUMP WAS RUNNING SLOW!!!!!!). second time was last winter. I now put howes additive in it starting in nov. going to start every other fill up.
I do carry plastic mechanic gloves to fuel up. Love the truck and the power. Avg 12.5 round town and towing- 16-18 highway empty at 65 mph on highway.
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Sptingerdad. I had a 2011 2500hd Silverado. The warning light came on when it wanted to. Once at 227 to go then 470 then 6 something. With this you know all the time. DEF gauge on left lower.
https://youtu.be/YnPIRZpvF24
I have an LTZ,,,, I get a text message on the DIC telling me when it's getting low. I can monitor Def level at 25% and lower with the DIC. Above that it says 'OK' I'm thinking the LT's don't give you that? Dunno.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
That will burn you if you think that's a true standard for diesel. I've seen green as gas and many other colors as diesel. Just pay close attention to what says diesel. And better yet don't fill the def tank with diesel or the diesel tank with def. That can get some people too.
BP stations have green pump handles on gas pumps. I am always very careful to make sure I have hold of the right thing. DEF is lots cheaper in the truck lanes. I haven't seen it at the car lanes. The stuff in the box is about $5.00 per gallon. Truck stops about $2.50.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #65

Like others said before, make sure your putting in diesel and not unleaded. Keep an extra DEF handy. Pain realizing you need a def fill and have to run to a station or store. Change oil and fuel filters at their scheduled time. Most of all, enjoy your ram! I love my 2500.
Junior25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat958 View Post
my first diesel also- 09 gmc 3500 cc 4x4 drw - had it since 11 - had 11,000 miles- now 36,300 I have shop maintain it. 2 freeze ups. once I almost immediately knew it was bad fuel(PUMP WAS RUNNING SLOW!!!!!!). second time was last winter. I now put howes additive in it starting in nov. going to start every other fill up.
I do carry plastic mechanic gloves to fuel up. Love the truck and the power. Avg 12.5 round town and towing- 16-18 highway empty at 65 mph on highway.
Quite nice to see some honest MPGs.
Thank You
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I have an LTZ,,,, I get a text message on the DIC telling me when it's getting low. I can monitor Def level at 25% and lower with the DIC. Above that it says 'OK' I'm thinking the LT's don't give you that? Dunno.
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/...&1451952253543
LTZ loaded
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #68

As per fuelly.

Lots of idle time during the winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1451952405.397277.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	97265

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Gotta love it. Mine's Victory Red..........
Old 01-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #70

Springer. I liked the truck. Did not like the surprise DEF stuff. Went to the Ram dealer and got a 15' 2500 and got 30k for my truck.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Do you know what is the difference between the Turbo Diesel Register forum and Diesel truck Resource forum? They seem very similar. I've been thinking about joining one of them so I am curious what you think.
Turbo Diesel Register. com is slightly different than Diesel Truck Resource. The difference is TDR will cost you $35.00 a year to join. For this you get 20+ years of experience from the members and writers for the quarterly magazine that has articles on the Ram trucks. These articles include the truck models; 1500 ECO diesel, 2500, 3500 and the C&C trucks plus interviews from both the Ram team and Cummins Engines people. The site also covers first gen trucks through the 4th gen trucks along with other areas of interest to members. On the members only left hand side of the home page are PDF articles that can be viewed and downloaded such as the Perfect Collection. Which covers 200 pages of technical articles on the Ram trucks, plus the Buyer Guides for various years of Ram trucks, to name a few of them.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #72

Well i am glad there is a forum like this that will give or find you just about anything you are looking for and they do it at no charge.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #73
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Here's my '15.5 denali's display
(Sorry for hijack op)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451965723528.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	97275  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #74

Don't understand.Just put a gauge on it ya got fuel/temp/pressure already, When you get in your truck you look at them right.
(no hijack)
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #75
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Don't understand.Just put a gauge on it ya got fuel/temp/pressure already, When you get in your truck you look at them right.
The whole thing is a computer screen other than the tac and speedo. I can change the layout of all the guages and center display. I've just left on this setting and show speed in big digits in the middle most of the time. So it might show a guage if i looked! I can also have the nav mirrored to the cluster, radio displayed and probably a bunch of other crap that no one needs brought up on the cluster screen.
Its more than i need, but i liked alot of the other amenities that are included in the denali package
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #76

Happy motoring.
I'm out!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #77
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Turbo Diesel Register. com is slightly different than Diesel Truck Resource. The difference is TDR will cost you $35.00 a year to join. For this you get 20+ years of experience from the members and writers for the quarterly magazine that has articles on the Ram trucks. These articles include the truck models; 1500 ECO diesel, 2500, 3500 and the C&C trucks plus interviews from both the Ram team and Cummins Engines people. The site also covers first gen trucks through the 4th gen trucks along with other areas of interest to members. On the members only left hand side of the home page are PDF articles that can be viewed and downloaded such as the Perfect Collection. Which covers 200 pages of technical articles on the Ram trucks, plus the Buyer Guides for various years of Ram trucks, to name a few of them.
You can join TDR at know cost to participate in the Forum just like this.
Joining and paying I believe gets you a magazine subscription. Something I didn't care about.

I've been a free member for a few months now. It's been a very helpful, informative Forum for me.

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #78

Quote:
Well i am glad there is a forum like this that will give or find you just about anything you are looking for and they do it at no charge.
X2. I'm thinking the OP got some great info and a great head start on his new truck. BTW, Ford, Dodge, GM, I've worked on them all and they're all great trucks,,,,,,,,,, IMHO
Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #79

Tips for owning a diesel and/or participating in a diesel forum.

(1) Turbo warmup and cooldowns...do it. Allow engine to idle for a bit on a cold start and drive gently until engine warms up and then drive normally. Turbo cooldown duration depend on type of driving. Street driving 30 seconds, just off highway 1 minute. Towing: 4-5 minutes.

(2) On diesels equipped with a VNT turbo you need to exercise the full range of the VNT actuator or it could soot up. Don't be afraid to step on it several times a week.

(3) Short trips= bad

(4) Diesels do not have a gas pedal. Mention a gas pedal on a diesel forum and you'll get a lot of flack. Its a go pedal or accelerator.

(5) If you have any problem with a diesel engine change fuel filter first! NO if ands or buts. Carry spare filter and spare DEF at all times.

(6) Try to use a block heater in cold weather.

(7) Don't shut off engine during a DPF regen. Know what a DPF regen is and signs/symptoms when it is regnerating.

(8) Use high volume diesel fuel stations.

(9) Don't ever run out of fuel, ever!

(10) Use a lubricity additive or a splash of biodiesel (B5) to improve fuel lubricity to prolong high pressure fuel pump lifespan.

(11) Be patient, It took me typically 20-25,000 miles to reach peak in fuel economy.

(12) Don't be afraid to work the engine hard. If possible, get an EGT gauge and ensure you don't exceed EGT limitations when towing in high altitude areas.

(13) Don't post online any illegal modifications or tune. If you brag about an EGR delete or DPF delete tune from XYZ corporation, some limp wristed forum lurker may put your tuner company out of business and you may get busted when that company's records are seized by the gubment.

(14) If you brew your own biodiesel and use it in your diesel, keep that info to yourself. Several online braggarts have gotten busted for not paying road tax on biodiesel that was made from waste vegetable oil...big fines.

(15) NEVER admit to having a tune on our engine to anyone online EVER!

(16) DO your own maintenance.

(17) Get to know your engine's normal sounds. You should be able to pick unusual engine noises that may indicate problems from the normal "diesel clatter"

(18) An anti-gel additive should be considered in cold weather...use one that boosts fuel lubricity.

(19) Never allow anyone other than yourself to refuel the truck. If you lend your truck out, make sure you insist that it is not refueled as a courtesy.

(20) Pay specific attention to the oil spec and know them. A body shop did me a "favor" and did a courtesy oil change with wrong spec oil that could have harmed the DPF over the course of its use. My wife's diesel Grand Cherokee requires use of a 10/quart ESP Mercedes Spec'd oil...don't trust that a non-dealership will use the correct oil....they never do.

(21) Check turbos for "play" at least once a year...know normal turbo sounds.

(22) KNOW WHAT A RUNAWAY IS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH IT! Example: if a turbo blows a seal, the engine oil used to lubricate it can be sucked into the intake from the turbo and your engine will run on it (they call them oil burners for a reason). Engine speed/power is determined by fuel (no throttle body in intake to limit air intake) and if a turbo blows, you got unlimited fuel similar to full go pedal application and that can get you in a bind. If you are driving and have a runaway engine, put engine in nuetral and let it overrev and blow when it runs out of oil. If you can, throw a rag into intake to starve engine of air before it blows. Google diesel runaway. Note: Avoid tailgating propane delivery trucks in hot weather. The propane delivery truck tank is designed to vent in hot weather and tehre have been reports of transient runaways from propane being sucked into the intake of diesel in back of it. Video of a diesel run away. Turning the "ignition" key off will not stop a runaway.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #80

Number one it would help you if you add 2 gauges an exhaust gas temperature gauge and a boost gauge...If your going to be towing diesels generate alot of heat and you should keep your egt's below 1200,excessive heat can ruin that motor....if i get into alot of headwinds the temps shoot up and i have to bring it down to a lower gear,good luck with the truck,,,,

Tags
diesel, truck