Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

First real trip with new trailer

Went to West Virginia from Dayton, Ohio this past weekend. I've got a Salem 30KQBSS, its dry weight is 6880 lbs, loaded...haven't weighed it yet, but I'd guess about 7700 lbs with what we have in it. I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD LT that I've recently upgraded the axle ratio from 3.08 to 3.42. This gives me 9700 towing capacity from 6900 with the 3.08.

After spending some time towing in the "mountains" of Southeast Ohio and Western West Virginia, I've come the the conclusion that I have enough truck. I'm not setting any speed records, but the truck will do the job.

The biggest concern with towing so far for me is the wind moving me on occasion. I think the only thing that will help with that would be a dually...and I'm not getting that and using it as an everyday vehicle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping with stability in windy conditions? Bigger tires??..all I have on the Chevy now is stock. Any suggestions would be welcome.
turleybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

Stock tires on a 2010 1/2 ton can be anything? Looks like you have a Blue Ox W/D setup is the sway control adjusted? With that size trailer did you HELP the rear suspension on the truck? Need input. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Sway control with Blue Ox is finally ironed out....wasnt getting it tight enough before this weekend trip. Friday's tow was a bit rough, but it was a windy day. Yesterday's trip back was the 1st time I've felt comfortable towing. I haven't done anything with the suspension. I'll post specifics with tires. I know they're 17 inch aluminum.
turleybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you have passenger tires on the truck, going to a LT tire might help. I am going to do that when my passenger tires wear out. Make sure the rims are rated for the pressure of the new tires. C (50 psi) or D (65 psi) rated LT tires might work well.....I think that I am going with Cs when mine need replacing.

Don't go oversized.....that causes other problems.

Since your truck came with a 3.08 final drive ratio, have you checked to make sure it has the heavy duty tow package ?? Some truck makes don't offer that in the high gearing trucks. Make sure you have an auxiliary transmission cooler which would have probably have been a part of a heavy duty towing package.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote