Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #21

How much backing up (if any) are you able to do with the WD hitch and sway control hooked up?
MNFamilyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billchelle View Post
Thanks for all the info all! Got her home safe and sound!

Lots of great suggestions already offered. Get out and practice towing especially in an area that you are familiar with. Go at a speed that you are comfortable at. In case of an emergency it can be helpful if your spouse has a little experience towing the trailer even if its around the neighborhood to start with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
I also made my first trip towing a Flagstaff 831FKBSS (~6800#) with an equalizer sway bar and an F-150 Ecoboost. not a good experience.
I wasn't prepared for the lurching, constant bumps and the sway at 50 mph was unexpected. on a flat road I got up to 60 but I wasn't that comfortable, like on the edge of my seat constantly ready to react.
So is this normal?
some of us are new and this experience is helpful.
Gary
If you had that much sway at a speed of 50 I suspect your WD system and sway bar are not set up correctly and that truck is more than capable of that kind of weight. Have it checked if you are not familiar with it yourself.
You will always feel the bumps and jumps of the trailer as it hits them after the truck does. It's just something you get used to I guess. The delayed reaction of the trailer will reflect back on the truck. You should not have the sway tho.
It is an experience the first time you tow for sure and especially with a big trailer. I promise you do get used to it and much more comfortable with every trip. You will learn the reactions of the trailer and be more at ease as time goes on when you consider it normal.
I felt more comfortable towing my 42ft 5th wheel for the first time than I did towing our first 18ft pop up. That was my first towing experience. You DO get used to it and to a nice comfort level where it is actually enjoyable. Only time and experience will bring that. Trust me. It's not supposed to be a white knuckle stressed out thing. Trust yourself and your vehicle. Its not working as hard as you think with that kind of weight. Just give yourself more time on the road for every move and hopefully it will become a better experience.
We have all been there. Hope this helps
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNFamilyCamper View Post
How much backing up (if any) are you able to do with the WD hitch and sway control hooked up?

take off the sway bar before you back up......
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #25

Quote:
You should be able to back up fine with both in place, however it's recommended to take the sway bar off for a lot of very tight turning and/or backing up. They can get bent from it. I've heard of some people taking the sway bar off when they get off the highway and will not be doing high speeds on local roads just to eliminate the potential for damage to it tight cornering.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #26

Might want to geta 2nd sway control, dealer included right with hitch and we ran that way for a year and then came across some info on line that said if the trailer is over 30 ft to have a left sway control also. So did some more research and went ahead a did that this year, I would never go back.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #27
Steve Jackson

I have the Reese dual cam sway control and love it. Tractor trailers fly by me and the trailer never moves.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
it depends on what you have. if it is a friction sway control bar then you are not supposed to back up with it on (always leave wdh hooked up). if it is integrated sway control (ie Reese dual cam, equal-i-zer) then you can leave it on for backing up.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also made my first trip towing a Flagstaff 831FKBSS (~6800#) with an equalizer sway bar and an F-150 Ecoboost. not a good experience.
I wasn't prepared for the lurching, constant bumps and the sway at 50 mph was unexpected. on a flat road I got up to 60 but I wasn't that comfortable, like on the edge of my seat constantly ready to react.
So is this normal?
Gary
no this is not normal. this is what I experienced with my old armada. none of that with my F250. I would start with going to the scales (CAT Scale). weigh the truck with full tank of fuel, all gear and passengers that will be in it when towing. weigh with and without the TT attached. Weigh with truck front axle on first pad, rear axle on second pad and all of trailer on third pad. this will tell you where you are starting out. you can use both weights and measurements to dial in your wdh. it will also help put your mind at ease for being within weight on the TV.

here is an excellent source for adjusting wdh. Also look at your loading. you may have too much weight in the rear and not enough weight on the tongue. I have literally seen a 10 lb tent make a large difference when moved from rear to front.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #30

Quote:
If you have a friction sway bar, know that it is a brake...... You do not want this brake on when backing up. Either take it off or loosen it up to where is slides freely.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
So is this normal?
Gary
What equalizer hitch do you have?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #32

first towing

an Equalizer 4 point sway bar and hitch. F150 Ecoboost with GCWR of 14000 from the Ford table, a GVWR of 7100, TT dry is 6925#, dry hitch is 945 listed by Forest River.
well after some homework I found my F150 will provide 8500# towing to support this Flagstaff TT. it may be the weight distribution that caused the sway. it got smaller, let me speed up to 60 mph after engaging the tow control for the truck.
now i'm off to the weight scale to be sure the TT weight is what it should be.
anyone with sway problems caused by weight distribution? and what kind of experience to share. (to help us newbies)
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
an Equalizer 4 point sway bar and hitch. F150 Ecoboost with GCWR of 14000 from the Ford table, a GVWR of 7100, TT dry is 6925#, dry hitch is 945 listed by Forest River.
well after some homework I found my F150 will provide 8500# towing to support this Flagstaff TT. it may be the weight distribution that caused the sway. it got smaller, let me speed up to 60 mph after engaging the tow control for the truck.
now i'm off to the weight scale to be sure the TT weight is what it should be.
anyone with sway problems caused by weight distribution? and what kind of experience to share. (to help us newbies)
Gary
What 4 point equalizer hitch do you have?? They make a few different models.
My 10k was not beefy enough for my new unit. upgraded to a 14k works great so far. With a hitch weight 945 listed by Forest River you need at least a 12k if not the 14k I would recommend.
Hope your getting 3 different weight readings. TV w/TT with bars then without bars and your f150 by itself.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #34

towing

the equalizer 4 point sway hitch is a 10,000# trailer rating--1000# hitch.
it seems your input is to go to a bigger weight item---and why is that?
( I got mine no cost when buying the trailer so this would be another expense)
i'll try to get as many weights as possible but minimum---front axle, rear axle and truck with trailer, somehow I need the trailer weight---not sure how patient the scale people are--I've never done this.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Site Team

You said your hitch weight or tongue weight is 945 Lbs. the 10k is good to 1000 lbs tongue.
That gives you 55 lbs for stuff, like propane and gear.
I just went threw all this with my new unit a few months ago.
My lacrosse info said my hitch lbs was like 875 (guessing) After weighing it was 1200 lbs.
I didnt add hardly anything to it.
They will be fine with you there. I was concerned too.
Had to go drive on scales get 1st weight.Tell them your a privet party camper when they ask your truck number. drive off go in and pay.
Go back to the scales and ask for reweigh. TV w/TT with bars then without bars and your f150 by itself. (3)
With all that info you can get your real tongue weight , how well the load distribution working, the weight of your camper and truck.

Just what i did coz I wanted to know all the data.
nice web site...
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
dont forget ..have fun
Happy camping
carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
I have the Reese dual cam sway control and love it. Tractor trailers fly by me and the trailer never moves.
X2 I also use this hitch and it is amazing! Never has my trailer even tried to sway!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
X2 I also use this hitch and it is amazing! Never has my trailer even tried to sway!
I hear that is a good hitch too! Know a few people who have them and they like em.
I feel the same way about my equalizer 14k 4 point.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #38

And watch out for tree limbs!
Greywolfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolfdan View Post
And watch out for tree limbs!

copy that one forsure

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #40

Lots of great input! Know the route you'll be traveling, and be certain there's no construction situations, such as lane width reduction. No use adding stress to the task.

Also, remember this. Whenever you do encounter a situation where the highway appears to be narrow, such as construction sites, just remember that 18-wheelers are going through the same areas, as well as other TT's and motor homes. If your tow vehicle is centered between the lines, your trailer will follow.

Always be aware of overhead clearance, including power lines. This is especially true in yards, and around outbuildings.

Another thing that's always helped me, though not related specifically to your bringing home your trailer, is to have a check list. My list includes 'everything' related to the truck and trailer, including duties inside and out. It's easy, even for those of us with years of experience, to overlook something. TV antenna up. Something not stowed properly. Wheel chock still in place. Shower door not latched. You get the idea! This is especially true in the heat of the moment, such as a family emergency or other situation requiring a quick break-down of camp.

As everyone else noted, pay special attention to your turns. If someone is sitting at an intersection where you need to turn on to, and you're concerned about the room needed to turn, just wait until they pull away, or backup. Generally, most drivers understand your need for cornering space when they see the rig your handling. No different than the challenges drivers of semi's face.

While you are gaining experience with your trailer, make certain your tow vehicle is fueled ahead of time. One less hassle to handle while you are in the learning curve. A trailer your size can seem pretty big when faced with a four-pump fueling situation.

And, relax! You'll do just fine and it will be a wonderful experience. Congratulations on your new trailer!

Badlands
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote